rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 2 2010 12:31 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • rehill
    431 Posts
    Wed, May 12 2010 4:00 PM

YankeeJim:

SweetiePie:
    It is a moody, yet fun gig. One can get in the wrong mood if not - 3 after 3.

LMAO-Sooo true. Worse is getting that -3 only to find yourself getting paranoid about the beast or VEM and wind up gripping while you fall apart .  :-D

EXACTLY what I was thinking. A lot of times I'm -3/-2 out the gates, then holes 4 and 5 kill me.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Thu, May 13 2010 8:58 PM

MarionGolfer:

Is it just me or is the front 9 of Kiawah like a holy terror and the back 9 your best friend?

Numerous times when I play 18 holes at Kiawah I do horribly on the front 9 and then the back 9 I am like a seasoned pro.  Unfortunately it all balances out for me.  I've gotten 5 birdies on the back 9 twice but because of the front 9, only end up at even par lol   Oh Kiawah, it;s a love-hate relationship with you :)

There are definitely 2 personalities for Kiawah. The front 9 has wide fairways but the greens are murderous to putt if you miss the perfect landing zone by more than a few feet.

On the back 9 the fairways will grab you if you miss the mark but the greens are more forgiving.

The most devious feature is the Par 5s will leave you with an in-between shot if you can't reach the green in 2. I purposely lay up on all the Par 5s and use my 64 wedge to get close enough for birdie while the wild bucks are slamming 3 woods through the green into the rough. Ha Ha!

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Fri, May 14 2010 6:21 PM

I haven't read one wrong answer yet. Yes the front is deffinately more challenging, however if you know the greens well, you can score well.

• MarionGolfer
    25 Posts
    Tue, Jun 1 2010 8:05 AM

I am starting to get the hang of this course. I am scoring much better on the front 9 than before.  It's actually my favorite course.  18 is my arch-nemesis though.  I just can't figure out how to play that hole.  Par is a big win for me on that hole.

• RChapman2010
    172 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 9:48 AM

Kiawah is my favorite, play it every day...  still can't figure out the best way to play #1, hate to admit it...  can't hardly birdie it, and rarely par it - in fact, I'm playing right now and just bogeyed...  back 9 is definitely easier, and I birdie 17 more often than not, oddly enough...   maybe when the Boss lets me have some better clubs I can keep it in the black... 

• TarheelsRule
    5,482 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 5:29 PM

One of the little items that is easy to overlook on Kiawah is the change in elevation on the greens.  It isn't much but enough to make your shot go short or long by 5 or 6 more feet.  #1 is a good example, I think the green plays about 3 or 4 feet uphill and it is very easy to come up short when you hit it into the green.  # 11 and # 12 are similar, #11 is uphill a good bit and # 12 downhill, you have to pay attention to that in planning your second shots.  Since Kiawah is at sea level you don't think of the elevation change but it is there since it was carved right out of the dunes.

• UKCats
    165 Posts
    Fri, Jul 2 2010 12:31 PM

I find the front 9 to be much easier. You have wedges into the first 3 holes. I have birdied #4 3 of the last 5 times I have played. Ping Master Irons really help there. 6 and 7 are easy as well. 9 is ok. You have 7 holes where you can make birdies. They aren't all birdie holes where if you don't make birdie you are mad. 8 is tough if you miss the green or leave it on or left of the slope. I'm not a big fan of the back 9.

• PAGES
RSS