Re: Recommened Wedge Set?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:38 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:14 AM

OaktheToke:
    And in addition to Pro = Master, PING and TM are pretty much interchangeable as far as performance.  The half dots don't matter that much in the grand scheme if things.  So it really just becomes a matter filling your gaps with distance intervals your comfortable hitting to.

I used to think this and said so in another thread a while ago. I was bombarded by the real top players here about the accuracy of the Pings but more importantly, the loft difference. The higher trajectory of the Pings does make a big difference at Kia and BPB but it's a killer at SA. The wind plays hell with them and the TMs, minus that 1/2 dot in accuracy but carrying an additional 1/2 dot of spin, make the wind manageable. The 1/2 dot less in accuracy is a bit comical to consider in high winds unless you really think you can beat the wind.

Given a choice between the 2 sets the Pings would be the better choice but if you're so inclined, I think the TMs do a much better job on SA than the Pings, something else I predicted back when I was taking flak for liking them. I have both sets and switch them out accordingly and it works for me. 

I prefer the Satin 64 wedge only because it has lower numbers to use around the green. 50 full, 41 punch, 15 flop and 6 chip. The 15 yard flop is very mappable and a great shot to use off the fringe. JMO

• Shadowhawk1967
    31 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:38 AM

Going to drop the WGT starter LW and replace it with the 64 degree Ping wedge.  I only have enough credits for 1 wedge but I think I can get by with set up in my bag.

Ping Rapture V2 PW - 110 yards

Ping Tour-W Pro wedge - 60 yards

WGT SW - 70 yards

Just noticed I couldn't replace the Rapture PW even if I wanted to as it is part of the iron set.   I can always buy a Satin wedge and replace the starter SW with it at a later date.

All the advice is greatly appreciated for this novice.  I'd buy all of you a drink at the 19th if I could.  See you on the fairways.

• PAGES
RSS