Forums

Help › Forums

Re: I try not to get angry...

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:34 PM (4 replies)
  • Slony
    8 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 10:40 AM
    What is with the low 70 and high 60 shooters in this game and the quitting when they have a bad hole? Is that how you keep a good average score? You only keep the ones with no blowout holes on it? This quitting in the middle of a round really sux and most of all it means the average you are so proud of is a lie. Think about that the next time you quit rather than drain a few birds to make up for the bad hole. This of coarse does not apply to any of the players on my friends list , people who get dropped by an over crowded server or by thier internet connection company (ISP). I would like to know if I'm the only guy running into these rude players though.
  • marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:52 AM

No, you're not the only one experiencing quitters.

That's just how it is and how it has been here.

Playing a random multi-player game will result in random results.

Try to stick to playing MP with friends if it bothers you too much.

• aceydeucey
    504 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 12:48 PM
    I totally agree with you and like yourself, I also get quite angry when my foursome suddenly ends up with me as single! I have come to realize that the reason this Quitting happens is because a lot of these players do not play Real Golf. To them, it's just another video game where the object is to get the most points... or in WGT's case... a low average. They have no concept of the idea of continuing play because that is how it is done in Real Golf. I have been playing for over 30 years and I have never had a player quit in the middle of a round! Over 80% of the golfers in the US do not break 90! Only 1% break 70! 5% shoot in the 70s, and 15% shoot in the 80s. So with those stats in mind, WGT would never make this game realistic. Can you imagine how popular this game would be if the conditions of play masked the real world? It would be too hard of a game, just as it is in real life. The frustrations real golfers endure with each shot would drive these video players away. Players like to play video games to score, to attain that grand level even though no one playing with them cares one bit. Pure vanity! I am a winner, look at me! So when a bad shot, a bad scoring hole, or even the pace of play is not quick enough happens... they QUIT! There are no repercussions, no penalties, no one there to prevent them from just leaving a game and starting another. Maybe they'll do better then.... if not.... then simply Quit again. It's only a video game. Get a group of friends who do finish a round and play away. But you'll have to play those Mu;ti-Player rounds to find out just who are the finishers. Have you ever heard of any PGA Professional having an average below 65 in a tournament? It doesn't happen. They have good days and bad days, but they don't quit!
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 1:15 PM

I understand your frustrations...  there are ways to alleviate this problem.

• Join the ladders ...  www.wgtls.co.uk
    • Play with friends only
    • Play Matchplay Challenges (when they quit, you get paid!)
    • Don't play random pick up games.

Having said that, please understand that this is 'just a video game'.  People will leave for whatever reason suits them at that time and there is nothing you, personally, can do about it.  You can not equate this video game to actually stepping out on the links for an afternoon with your foursome, complete with bad jokes, a bit of teasing, some alcoholic beverages, and the occasional "stick-em!" shot of the day.  The only thing this video game has in common with a day on the links is they are both called 'golf'.  As much as we like WGT, warts and all, even on it's best day it still falls miserably short of the real thing.

IMHO, the worst day on the local chewed-up-and-spat-out muni still beats the best day online.

Also, I can assure you that "quitting to protect an average" does more harm than good.  These folks will make it to the highest tier by posting all of their best rounds, only to find that they can't compete anymore.  And the folks that are already in the Master tier can't protect their average anymore, because once you make Master, you can never go back.

So, if someone quits it's ~their~ problem, not yours.  Play on.  Shoot the best score you can and worry about making your own game the best it can be.

Of the points above, if others quitting really irritates you, I will strenuously urge you to join the ladders.  Great fun there, lots to do besides play golf, and I can almost guarantee that you'll have at least a dozen new friends that you WANT to play golf with in less than a week.

Have a 'quitter-less" day!

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:34 PM

Ya, unfortunately many people quit after one bad hole. Just find friends on the forums, or join the ladder and only play with them. Or an alternative, like snaike said, play match play challenges and if the person quits you get the money. But ya, it's a bummer!

RSS