Help › Forums

Re: Bunker 7th Kiawah

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:15 AM (4 replies)
  • micklen
    221 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 6:52 AM

On a practice round I thought I would take the tiger line over the bunker

I didn't quite make it but the ball took one bounce out of the bunker and rolled on to the fairway

Unlikely I think

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 7:19 AM

Unlikely BUT it happens.  I have had the same thing happen on KIA # 6 on the drive - bouncing out of the left side bunker onto the fairway.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:12 AM

The thing is should I have posted it here as a bug or is it more like just a members bounce to be thankful for

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 8:30 AM

It's not a bug.  It is one of the many GREAT (when it works) nuances of WGT.  The sand in some traps is hard sometimes it is soft.  In the instances we are talking about, most often a DRIVER with a low angle of loft is involved and it can create the "skip" across the sand that we are thankful for - a far different result than landing a higher-lofted club into a plugged 30-40 sand lie (or worse) AND ALSO a far different result than a shot that bounces and rolls on grass ENDING in the sand (usually a lighter sand lie but NOT ALWAYS). - Regards, AtlantaCoaster

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 11:15 AM

micklen:
    On a practice round I thought I would take the tiger line over the bunker

I didn't quite make it but the ball took one bounce out of the bunker and rolled on to the fairway

Unlikely I think

Unlikely?  Probably not as much as you would think.

If you caught the end of the Cup Cana Champions Tour event yesterday you would have seen the leader (Pavin) catch a sprinkler head that was nestled in between the green and the greenside bunker (on 14?)... sent his ball out into the crushed coral hazard...  He bogeyed (with a damned impressive putt, thank you) but Boom-Boom birdied that hole and took the lead for good.  (Cha-ching!  Couples 3-peats!)

A 2 shot swing on the leader board because of a sprinkler head... golf, like life, is full of funny bounces and unpredictable results.

Peace

RSS