Help › Forums

Re: taking 3 wood out of the bag at St. Andrews

Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:07 AM (28 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 4:41 AM

birdwell:

I carry both a 3W and 3 Hybrid at St.A.

I hit both off the tee as much as I do off the deck.

Why?

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 3:35 PM

I have been a follower of the preachings of the Reverend YankeeJim from the Pentecostal Church of the Lob for a considerable time now. I used to carry 4 lob wedges but being a big kid, I now carry 3 and a 3 wood for the par 5s, I can never resist the temptation to get on in 2.

Carrying 4 improved my game, not just from 100 yards in but also off the tee. I had to become more consistent with the driver to avoid having to rely on the hybrid to bail you out when you miss a fairway. The Taylor Made Z Satin TP Pro 64 is without doubt the most important club in my bag, a real shot saver.

I never fail to put $30 in the plate every Sunday in order that the Reverend YankeeJim can buy his weekend bottle of JD.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 3:48 PM

Oh dear, my minions are loose again and falling back on greedy habits. Oh, the shame. Just going to have to talk to the Boss and have him blow a little harder on them par 5s. That'll teach them upstarts.

Now, what to do for penance.......

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 3:51 PM

YankeeJim:

Just going to have to talk to the Boss and have him blow a little harder on them par 5s.

He can blow all he wants as long as it's from behind..........I'm sure there's a gag in there somewhere, I'll leave it to the man of the cloth to crack it, lol....

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 3:57 PM

Got a great connection with Him. He lets my 3i with topspin get on in 2 with just a gentle breeze. He commends me every time but I fail Him by blowing the eagle. He once said to me "Son, be happy with your birdies. I shall reward you with many more opportunities to use that blessed wedge."  I listened..........

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 4:14 PM

jbenny11:
    the punch shot covers all the wedge gaps quite nice, there is no punch 3wd gap.

Seems to me you are not open to other ideas,IMO how often do you land your 3wood on the green close enough for a certain eagle not often i would imagine. But driver then 3 iron will leave a wedge shot which i will land within 3feet for a certain bird 8 times out of  10.Also i find punch shots don't stop like full wedge shots.

JMHO  CSC

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 5:00 PM

Therein lies the beauty of the 3i shot. In unfavorable wind you'll wind up in the valley in front of the green, 45-50 yards away. The 64 wedge kills from there and you have about as good a chance to hole it as you would that 80 ft putt.

With favorable wind and an SD ball you have to back off the 3i or spin it to get close. The key is you have a shot! 17 mph wind at 11 o'clock and I'm hitting a 4i into the green after a good tee! I just don't think it's worth the 3W, which is strictly my opinion. I say whatever works for you.

BTW, I was playing the TMs-if you own them and play G10s give them a try for a few rounds. I think you'll be surprised.

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 5:38 PM

YankeeJim:

birdwell:

I carry both a 3W and 3 Hybrid at St.A.

I hit both off the tee as much as I do off the deck.

Why?

1) so that the ball ends up in the fairway, not the fescue

2) to position the ball at a distance that allows me to hit a full iron or wedge shot, negating the need for a 'gap' wedge

3)  Sometimes you need a spoon :)

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Wed, Mar 31 2010 9:07 AM

I like the 4 wedges on St. Andy.Some of my friends have used 4 for a long time..others have not. Recently just hit a 3 iron 244 yds to get within 15 feet. So much for a 3 wood. I believe its all comes down to the situation. But..if im playing a 9 hole  single tourney for say a trip to St. Andrews and 1 stroke can determine if you win or lose ...hmmm. Say you have 238 yds to the pin with a 10  mph headwind . What do want in the bag?  3 wood. I use to say "I have to carry this 3 wood around "just" in case I may  need it for one shot? Roll the dice? Bring the club. How important is the tourney? I love to check out whats in players bag and see the array of clubs folks carry. Personal preference too. P.S. heard there rescue clubs now.

fuzzygazz

RSS