Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Chipping In Weeds Bug

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 27 2010 7:09 PM (3 replies)
  • Cweed
    2 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2010 11:28 AM

I was playing #18 on Bethpage Black and landed in the weeds near the green.  I was lying 30-40% and I was stuck.  I tried every wedge and even where I hit the ball it didn't matter.  I would go 1 yd or no yards at all.  I had to take a 10.  I've seen this happen to other people in sand traps and various other places.  

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Mar 26 2010 12:45 PM

If you're really chipping from the weeds, that doesn't work.  When you say "weeds" is that what the lie said?  Or did it say rough, or deep rough, or light brush??

Because I just went looking for "weeds" with a 30-40 lie near the 18th on BPB and couldn't find any.  I hacked about 6 or 7 shots to the right of the green around the bunker and found lots of 60-70 deep rough and some 40-50 light brush.  I was able to move the ball using a pitch, full, and punch shots.  And hitting it hard.

Can you be more specific where the "black hole" type lie was relative to the 18th green?

• Cweed
    2 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 8:41 AM

I probably didn't have the right shot type.  i am new to this and have just started using the chip, pitch, features.  I still thought I should've been able to move the ball using a pitching wedge.  I tried several different clubs.  Do you have to use only certain type shots to get out of certain situations?  Here is a pic of the 18th where I circled the area in red.  To be honest I don't remember if it said weeds or deep brush.  If it was brush then you think that an iron or wedge should've worked. 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Mar 27 2010 7:09 PM

Cweed:
    I probably didn't have the right shot type

This I would agree with 100%.

Take a look at the chipping and pitching guide here.

Fantastic reading and very very informative.

Peace

RSS