Forums

Help › Forums

My guide on how i adjust for the wind

Tue, Mar 6 2012 7:15 AM (26 replies)
  • andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Feb 13 2010 7:08 AM

jayjonbeach:

I am finding overall that downhill does play a much smaller role than uphill.

Very roughly, with no wind at all (for arguement sake) and I have 150 yards to go with 25 feet of elevation, I will add about 15 - 20 yards. 

The same shot 150 yards but 25 feet downhill I find you can only knock off maybe 5 - 10 and hit 145 or so.

I agree with jayjonbeach.  You need to take more off a shot to an uphill green than a down hill green.  Hopefully the rough diagram below of how I see a 7I fly (red line) will help explain why.

A ball hit to an uphill green has its flight interrupted earlier while it still has some forward momentum so you get more roll out (blue line).  You account for more roll out with less power.

A ball hit to a downhill green doesn't have its flight interrupted until later when it is falling nearly vertically so you get a little more carry and less roll out.  You account for less roll out with more power.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 7:03 AM

Thanks for the tip.

• woodrowwilson
    22 Posts
    Mon, Feb 22 2010 9:46 PM

marioh:

YankeeJim:

I would make this swing without adjusting default aim.........

I do a combination of both.   I don't like to cut it that much, so I'll move the aim control around half the distance as the TS, and then play a slight cut on the accuracy.

I use this strategy as well. The only difference is, I take about 2-3 yards off the shot because I'm working the ball into the wind. If I didn't use the combination, I would take about 10 yards off, because the mis-hit + extra wind fighting would cost about that much. In my opinion, the bigger mis-hits leave too much guess work though.

• rlweller
    108 Posts
    Wed, May 26 2010 10:37 AM

my biggest issue with wind is determining when too add or subtract and how much.

for example if you have 12mph wind going from east to west would this make your shot 12yards longer or 6 yards ?i usally move slightly to right and add 6 yards to my shot.i know i have been having some isues with wind calculations.any help would be appreciated.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, May 26 2010 10:59 AM

In a discussion in this forum several months ago someone suggested using the width of the blue box (distance box with yardage that is at the flag on the green or in the fairway) to equal every 10mph of crosswind.  Adjust accordingly for quartering wind.

• Trackterror03
    105 Posts
    Sat, May 29 2010 7:07 AM

Here is my 2 cents...

I may be wrong, but for me & my equipment, here is my general rule of thumb wind speed formula:

1 mph of wind equals around 1 foot of travel. Example; an 18 mph head wind coming straight at your 6 o'clock equals an additional 6 more yards. If the wind is say blowing 9 mph at 2 o'clock (slight tail wind), then you would subtract about 2 yards from the club being used.

I hope this helps, and please comment if this is what others experience as well.

Trackterror03

• ballastrc
    143 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 7:15 AM

I have worked out a formula for  elv. rise .4 x elevation + shot distance...

example .4 x 25' elv. =10'

RSS