I cannot play WGT on my new laptop

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 13 2023 7:34 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Tyrones
    95 Posts
    Tue, Jul 11 2023 7:41 PM

Greetings,

I went to download WGT on my new laptop. I click "Play Now"; I am brought to a window that let's me click "Play on Windows", then another window pops up and says, "The app you're trying to install is not a Microsoft verified app".

I've downloaded and uninstalled numerous times. I tried right clicking the "Play in windows" button to open in another page with no luck.

All help is greatly appreciated.

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 1:24 AM

Had a quick Google search and I'm wondering if your laptop is running a Windows 'S' version.

To check for this, hit the windows key + r and in the run dialogue box, type winver and hit enter.

'S' version is a more secure version of Windows which might be preventing you from downloading WGT.

You can get out of 'S' mode into a normal version of Windows quite easily, you might want to Google how to do that, but once you are out you can't get back in.

⇩ EDIT : Thanks Gary.  ; ) ⇩

• garyk49
    2,316 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 4:29 AM

If not mistaken, most devices running windows today are coming out pre-installed with S version.  Whether it is 10 or 11.  I thought microsoft said that 11 was it, now there is 12 to be soon coming out.

• Tyrones
    95 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 5:32 AM

Hello Scott,

YOU NAILED IT! This was my problem and I was able to resolve the issue. Thank you very much.

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 5:44 AM

Thank you Tyrones, just landed a lucky guess.  ; )

• craigswan
    31,029 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 7:22 AM
    Bought my new laptop in miami a few month's ago as they were about half the price they are in uk . Had the same s mode problem but my son fixed it for me . Apart from having to use an adaptor all the time it works well . Scott - what reason would i need to get back in to this s mode please .
  • craigswan
    31,029 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 7:25 AM
    Sorry about the paragraphs all joining up . On my ipad and i cannot fix this .
  • garyk49
    2,316 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 8:18 AM

craigswan:
    Bought my new laptop in miami a few month's ago as they were about half the price they are in uk . Had the same s mode problem but my son fixed it for me . Apart from having to use an adaptor all the time it works well . Scott - what reason would i need to get back in to this s mode please .

I am not Scott, but you might want to have a read here https://www.bing.com/search?q=why+s+mode&form=ANNNB1&refig=d4a6f601beab44578dc67ef4e5b72d85

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 8:22 AM

craigswan:
    Scott - what reason would i need to get back in to this s mode please .

Maybe if you gave the laptop to a child, that might be a good reason to go back to 'S' mode. I have read that you can't go back, but I wonder if that is the case even if you reinstall the operating system.

• garyk49
    2,316 Posts
    Wed, Jul 12 2023 8:25 AM

If you want to go back to s mode, the only way is to reinstall the operating system.  But if the software you want is in the microsoft store you can stay in s mode.  As the store is the only place that s mode will allow you to download from.   Apparently WGT is not in the store.

• PAGES
RSS