Help › Forums

Wedge distance

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 1 2022 10:53 AM (34 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2021 7:53 PM

Okay, Cicero, here's another example.

You did the whole calculation* and it says you're about to hit a 189 yard shot. With your 4-iron (210Y), it'd be 90% if the meter was linear but we know it's not. According to the chart, looking at 212.5 Y, it should be tad more than 90%, almost 91%. I know, I know... It's not much, not a dramatic difference, and for a 189 yard shot, you'd rather go with 5I. This is just to illustrate an example. (* Whether your calculation method is accurate or not, it's another story though.)

Once again, this is just MY interpretation of the chart so maybe there's a better way of explaining it. The best is the author comes in and explains it himself. ;)

• SamSpayed
    4,911 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2022 12:04 AM

Cicero733:
    The part that confuses me, and I would like to use your 100 yd example if you don’t mind. What club is being used to hit 100 yds? Or is the chart saying regardless of what club you use to hit 100, the following percentages apply?

Excellent point.  And, in my experience, the adjusted percents are going to vary not only based on what club you use, but also the distance and spin ratings of the ball you use.

• Cicero733
    2,298 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2022 5:05 AM

Excellent point.  And, in my experience, the adjusted percents are going to vary not only based on what club you use, but also the distance and spin ratings of the ball you use.

+1 

• Cicero733
    2,298 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2022 5:17 AM

Simon

Thanks for the additional example. I think I’m beginning to see the logic behind the values, but I’m not certain if this is something I would incorporate or could easily incorporate into game play. The developer of the chart certainly put some thought into this tool. Thanks again for the assist in understanding.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,522 Posts
    Sat, Jan 1 2022 10:53 AM

Cicero733:

Simon

Thanks for the additional example. I think I’m beginning to see the logic behind the values, but I’m not certain if this is something I would incorporate or could easily incorporate into game play. The developer of the chart certainly put some thought into this tool. Thanks again for the assist in understanding.

You bet! :-) Me either, I don't blindly trust or mechanically apply it, but I do use it as a supplementary reference. It sure helps. Cheers.

RSS