Forums

Help › Forums

Wedge distance

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 1 2022 10:53 AM (34 replies)
  • Kellkol10
    112 Posts
    Sat, Dec 25 2021 3:48 AM
    Hi, I currently are using 60 deg Callaway Jaws wedge that goes 80 yds at full meter, no wind, slope etc. When I go to 75% a it only goes 30-40 yds. ?? Having a difficult time figuring this out, and somewhat frustrating. Would anyone have a tip or thoughts Thanks
  • DufferJohn7
    3,563 Posts
    Sun, Dec 26 2021 1:38 PM

You have discovered the power meter is not linear, good first step. 

Use the search function and you'll find lots of threads with various charts of power vs distance. 

But the best way is setup a practice round using your club/ball combination.  With the help of the mulligan feature hit and write down the actual distances. 

Easy peasy.

Have fun and hit em straight, 

John 

• HamdenPro
    2,423 Posts
    Sun, Dec 26 2021 1:55 PM

Kellkol10:
    Would anyone have a tip or thoughts

I do not know if it the best meter to judge wedgie distance, but it is fairly accurate. They have them at Lowes.

• alosso
    21,042 Posts
    Sun, Dec 26 2021 3:15 PM

Kellkol10:
    I currently are using 60 deg Callaway Jaws wedge that goes 80 yds at full meter,
    It's always best to hit them near full power. Therefore, get yourself a 64° wedge of 60 yds to fill the low gap. The upper (third) wedge should fill the gap to the PW. (maybe to a later iron set?)

Further full shots are available by selecting punch and flop shots. Pitch and chip shots demand care of the landing zone.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,521 Posts
    Sun, Dec 26 2021 7:51 PM

Someone (I believe it was dgm***.) once posted what he called "meter grading" before  I just went to check his profile and see if it's still there but nope... it's gone now. :-(

BTW if it doesn't even reach the half of the full club distance at 75% of power, there's definitely something wrong with it. You sure about that, OP?!

• Kellkol10
    112 Posts
    Sun, Dec 26 2021 8:14 PM

Thanks, been doing some practice shots since and yes full power and try and put yourself in the 80 yd distance .

Thanks again 🙂

• HamdenPro
    2,423 Posts
    Sun, Dec 26 2021 8:37 PM

Kellkol10:
    Having a difficult time figuring this out, and somewhat frustrating

As Simon said, there have been discussion about this same issue. I found this one for you, hope it helps explain, what has been stated above, in more detail for you.

Judging distances - World Golf Tour (wgt.com)

Obviously, the best thing to do is to play a practice hole, so you can use mulligans, and hit each club at different meter positions and "chart" the distances.

I also recall, you were advised, in a different thread, to consider joining a club. Most clubs offer free shot and putt pals, If you are not familiar with the "Pals" they provide additional markings on the meter to help judge percentage of power.  In addition, you can most likely get a lot of tips from other club members.

Another great place for tips on most things, is Gary Pinhunter's site:

Wedges | pinhunters (wixsite.com)

I am not expert, or Champion, but if you want to friend me, I will play some rounds with you, and we can chat more and figure your distances out.

In any event, Good Luck and just have fun.

• Cicero733
    2,298 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2021 4:18 AM

Well managed wedge play takes strokes off averages and adds more fun to the game. A good wedge shot to learn (and it’s extremely easy to learn) is the 64° wedge punch shot. There is a link to a punch distance chart embedded in HamdenPro’s reply.

The other easy technique is to determine the distance of your wedges at full power. Then when confronted with a shot requiring a wedge divide the distance to the pin by the full distance of the club. This will give you the percentage of power to hit. For example, you have 68 yds to the pin. Your 60° wedge at full power goes 75 yds. 68 yds/75 yds equals .906%. Hit your wedge at 91% power and it will travel 68 yds. You’ll need to practice your wedge shots in order to learn the effects of spin/no spin, elevation, green speed, etc

• SamSpayed
    4,911 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2021 9:28 AM

Cicero733:
    The other easy technique is to determine the distance of your wedges at full power. Then when confronted with a shot requiring a wedge divide the distance to the pin by the full distance of the club. This will give you the percentage of power to hit. For example, you have 68 yds to the pin. Your 60° wedge at full power goes 75 yds. 68 yds/75 yds equals .906%. Hit your wedge at 91% power and it will travel 68 yds.

This is generally true for shots hit at 90-100% power.  But for shots hit below 90% power, it's not.  Like DJ7 said, the power meter is not linear.  This is why it's a good idea to map your clubs and shots. 

• Cicero733
    2,298 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2021 1:52 PM

Sam -

Agreed. That’s why I very seldom play any full wedge shots below 90% power. And yes, mapping is definitely necessary so I have all my wedges mapped for 100% - 90% full power, punch distances, full shots from the various sand percentages, pitch distances, flop distances for 100% - 75% power from fairway, flop distances for 25/30, 30/40, 40/50 rough situations, flop distances from the 3 major sand percentages, and probably a few more, like someplace I have mappings for 50/60% and 60/70% brush, and I have several formulae for hitting wedge shots in the 83% to 89% power ranges. Oh yeah, I also have angular offset mappings for full and 3/4% full beer cans when placed in the cart beverage holder when the cart is parked on less than level surfaces (this one is not complete as there are subtle differences between the resulting angles in the driver’s side versus the passenger side; still needs some work and is proprietary). The only mappings I don’t have, primarily because I don’t like the results, are punch shots from the sand. Maybe some day I’ll tackle that one again. And since I play both the Cleveland and Callie wedges, I have the mappings listed above for both sets. Wedges are scoring clubs so I like to minimize potential difficulties by having the basic stuff mapped out before hand. So yes, I agree with you also on the need for mapping. But when starting out and having no idea how hard to hit a 64° wedge to produce a distance of 51 yds, I think the basic formula can fit the bill. I think once that concept is understood a new player will instinctively understand the benefit of the wedges and will begin to develop his/her own mapping technique.

RSS