Help › Forums

The Greatest Game Ever Played?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 19 2021 11:36 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Wed, Dec 15 2021 12:19 PM

For those of you who know me, and there are only a few, you know my story. Not long ago, I was on the verge of closing the game window for good. A lot has happened in the short period of time since.

For those that are interested in just how low I was feeling, you can check out my thread (which I actually thought would be blocked by moderation):

THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED

After posting the above thread, although there were not many replies (I did state therein that replies were unnecessary as it was not posted for replies but really a message to moderators in general), I received some friend request.

I did not contribute to these forums much but I have been reading the threads for a long time and some of you have become "household" names to me.  After posting The Day the Music Died, I received a few friend requests.  Just prior to that, I had posted in a thread about Yancycan and inquired about "Bigfoot" and learned about Easter Eggs and signs on Chambers Bay. With much help from more new friends, I was off on my way to search for magical creatures and stuff. I truly believe, without these new friends, and my quest to find things, I would have stopped playing a few months ago. 

Fast forward to present time....I have been teasing a new friend about his "secret" connections to WGT which he has adamantly denied (which I would expect if it was a secret connection). In an effort to compile documentary evidence of this connection, I started conducting opposition research to include in my dossier'. I made subtle inquiries here and there and started to make connections through profile pages. For many days I would scour profiles comparing first and last friends and going back, back, back in time through years of WGT members.  Ironically, I was able to establish connections from this friend to a moderator and as I continued to follow the moderator's connections, it led me further back in time, always linking each member to earlier established friends until, one day, I found myself at the end.... I ended up with the profile MisterWGT.

Having no education as to the origins of WGT, I then resorted to google and Wikipedia and eventually, by comparing photographs, I confirmed that MisterWGT was none other than the founder... we will call him CN (since we can't name names). Then I started doing parallel searches and eventually came upon what I believe were the select few who demo'ed the game in 2007 and a larger group who were playing the Beta version in 2008. My understanding is that the game was not released until 2009.

What was fascinating was that some of the people that I see in these threads are intermingled with some of the early pioneers and some, I would suggest, were the early pioneers that have since changed profiles. (Were these the earliest known multi- accounters!!! Are today's greats really just a bunch of cheaters?!!!!).

In seeking answers, many times I resorted to searching these forums and going through the archives. I have spent many hours digesting the archives and became more and more fascinated with the history of this game. So many great people who made their mark are no longer with us....none have been forgotten.

It is funny to see some of the earliest threads where people complain about the meter, cheaters and having to spend credits...some things never change. The threads are not much different from today except terminology has changed as has censorship. Back then VEM was known as "the Beast"!!!!  I read post from members like YankeeJim, Andyson, CEverett and YancyCan and so many others., 

What I found was that WGT is so much more than a game, so much, much, more that it could just be THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED!!!  I have never played an online game where I spend more time reading and chatting than actually playing the courses or hitting practice balls back and forth in the woods looking for things. I have never laughed so hard or cried so much...

I found bonds that were formed, relationships made, and friends lost. I have seen good tidings and sad farewells.

Curiously, I found that too many members last friend was YancyCan and then they disappeared...hmmmmm (Alien connection - You Betcha').

For someone who once preferred to stay in the shadows I am now forming my own bonds and enjoying shared experiences with new friends. My most enjoyable moments come more from PMs and threads than playing vicariously through an Avatar. There are days where I may play 1 round but spend hours chatting or pouring through the Forum.

There is no question, WGT is more than a golf game if you want it to be.

Do yourself a favor....visit the past. Go read some old forum threads...You may find as much enjoyment as I have. Go figure, I was ready to quit and was convinced otherwise by ghosts and an Alien hunter I never met.

PS. One of my favorite historical threads was when Mr. Hope lost it...lmao...he was fuming and, if that was written today...there would be a lot of ******** and he would be in moderation, like me. He seems so harmless now.

.EDIT: PPS..  Before someone mentions it, yes, I could have simply searched the threads under MisterWGT and saved myself hours and hours of going through profiles and forum archives. 1) I did not know there was a MisterWGT until I came upon the profile; and 2) It was more fun my way!!!

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Sat, Dec 18 2021 2:42 PM

This reminds me so much of Lizzie (LizzieRossetti) - extremely long, funny, worth my time reading, the only difference being it wasn't written in Lizziesque.  And it was understood.  Ok, that's 2 differences, but only 2.  But in my defence 'Lizziesque' and 'not understanding' went hand in hand.  I have something in the back of my mind that I didn't like something about her punctuation, but unless I go dig out some posts I can't remember exactly what it was (it was over 7 years ago!).  Ok, that's 3 differences, but only 3.

Yancy is one of a kind.  I actually had him on Skype, and I have talked with him on Skype - great mind, and a very clever man... don't let his 'antics' fool you.  And boy did he type a lot when we were skype'ing - he must have been re-writing "War and Peace on WGT".  He also did a few instructional videos... er... I mean videyas; who can ever forget the green pointing finger, or the YancyCan cut-out stuck on his screen over his avatar - hilarious!

I think I need to re-delve back into the depths of the forum.

• Tabarnak777
    168 Posts
    Sat, Dec 18 2021 4:01 PM

I played a lot of the civilization series both offline and online mode. At a point where i written some strategy articles for civ5 and got ton of reviews from them. With so many contacts and the magic created around all this i then naturally tried to know the roots of this game so i digged in the past and discovered many things that made me understand why this game went this way and not the other.

When you do this you begin to feel ''closer'' to the game. It gets a personnality. It's not only a game, it's an entity.

I did the same for the Final Fantasy serie(i played them all until FF12, i didn't like the others, i largely prefer the old school RPG style) though i wasn't a great player compared to some speedrunners. But i have read a lot of back stories and it makes me appreciate the game even more.

Great post! I like history in general. I found some gems on reddit these past years about history of some games(or youtube sometimes) and i like to read these.

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Sat, Dec 18 2021 4:19 PM

The Fun we once had in the forums , , search " WGT new tough competitor " ,  the tiny pic,s are gone but its still a classic thread , The " Lets be honest " thread was a blast till some troll hunters high jacked it a got it closed down . and the 2000 credit reward ? 

OPY

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Sat, Dec 18 2021 5:12 PM

I, like many others I dare say, used to wait with great anticipation for Andyson's WGT National Enquirer; I think it was monthly, with the odd Special thrown in here and there.

One of my favourite WGT threads was Kiawah 18.

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sat, Dec 18 2021 5:36 PM

MioKontic:
    One of my favourite WGT threads was Kiawah 18.

I think Lizzie and I would have become great friends. I like her. 

Obviously, given her connection to the big honcho, I was aware of her existence, and she is included on my genealogical history of WGT.  I assumed, given her inclusion in a small, private, very hoity toity (means you drink tea with the pinky extended to its fullest and not pointing in an inappropriate direction), club, I presumed she was someone of the highest upbringing and importance. 

It is a shame that no one ever did find out whether  the gifted knickers arrived knickless (meaning free from taint).

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sat, Dec 18 2021 5:59 PM

opyeuclid:
    The " Lets be honest " thread was a blast till some troll hunters high jacked it a got it closed down . and the 2000 credit reward ? 

I came across "Lets Be Honest" (so do not know if was "shut down" or abandoned). and found it to be a wonderful thread. It was interesting, and at times touching, reading the posts. I was also aware of the reward and was convinced that I found you hidden on your own page but, alas, I read the post where you disclosed where you had been hiding.

• twinponds169
    3,018 Posts
    Sat, Dec 18 2021 8:25 PM

If ya ever want to peruse some "blasts from the past"'............

Start on the main forum page,

click on the title of the bottom right side section, "Active Threads", then click "Last" where you can go to page 2, page 3, etc. , near the top or the bottom of page 1 that opens.

It will take you all the way back 4,142 pages to the first page of active forum topics back in 2008,

and you can work your way back from there, page by page.

• HamdenPro
    2,413 Posts
    Sun, Dec 19 2021 10:44 AM

Tabarnak777:
    Great post!

I appreciate that you appreciated it. Again, much appreciated.

What I found most fascinating in your reply is the timing of its appearance. Having had personal experiences, and after much research, IMHO, you are currently on moderation.

Good Luck with that.

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Sun, Dec 19 2021 10:45 AM

Opy - never seen the Let's Be Honest thread before, it was started around the time I wasn't able to post anything (or rather I could, but no one was able to see any of my posts), so I rather gave up on the forum.  Just read the first and last half a dozen pages... might have to read a bit more when I have time.

HamdenPro - the reason Lizzie is/was in Club WGT is because it was a way of stopping requests to join other clubs; I don't think she was a fan of CC's and what went on in them.  I too was a member of Club WGT for a while, until Lizzie left us, after which I stopped playing for a while and left Club WGT.  Later on I found that you got free PutterPal and ShotPal if you were a CC member, so I joined Andyson's CC (there were only 3 of us as members - Andy, me, and another good friend of Andy's).  I very reluctantly left there to pay a 'debt' to someone who had helped me when I first started here, knowing I wouldn't be able to get back into it because Andy was no longer with us.  I did ask WGT if they would kindly transfer the ownership of the CC to me, but as you have well found out, I didn't even get a reply!  I did try some other ways to try get it transferred, but everything came to a dead end, so now I have created my own CC purely for me.  2 others somehow joined my CC without me knowing; I have kicked one out, but I never had the heart to remove the other as it was a friend who I had met, had many games with, and helped on WGT from 2019 to the end of last year when she decided to give up because of the move from Flash.

• PAGES
RSS