Forums

Help › Forums

Why Isn't This Game Popular To Players The Play The Likes of League Of Legends, Overwatch, Minecraft, etc.

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 4 2021 2:26 PM (8 replies)
  • leewilliam236
    1 Posts
    Sun, Mar 14 2021 6:40 PM

I really like this game and I hope it will gain more popularity down the road.

From my experience, though, it's not popular amongst my demographic (college students).

I also noticed that when I search WGT and Esports in the YouTube search bar, there doesn't seem to be huge ESports scene in this game. Yes we do have the European Tour, WGT Live Series, and the like. But if you compare that to the tournaments from League of Legends, there's exceptionally more hype for those.

Another example is, and no offense to any of these guys but, the figures that play those games, most WGT YouTubers are generally older than League of Legends YouTubers.

I don't follow Esports, so please don't roast me. I'd just like to know what you guys believe are the reasons as the title implies.

• gonfission
    2,229 Posts
    Thu, Apr 29 2021 6:12 PM

Lemme help....

leewilliam236:
    I'd just like to know what you guys believe are the reasons as the title implies.

The average player in here is way over 52.... 52 - 85+ mostly

Thus the average attention span of 90 seconds.... Hence the time clock choices

This is a simplified version of the above ^^^

To much *talkie talkie* some times 

Apothegm 

• craigswan
    30,973 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2021 7:53 AM

Gamer's versus Golfer's .

Golf Fail GIFs | Tenor

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, May 3 2021 9:33 AM

leewilliam236:
    I'd just like to know what you guys believe are the reasons as the title implies.

probably has more to do with the amount of time it takes to progress up the XP ladder to obtain what players feel is comparable equipment.

----you scores with starter gear suggest you would be a rather good player who is already demonstrating a good grasp of the game, course management, and putting....

that said, at L49 your have earned roughly 52k XP so far.

You can project how long that it would take if you do a search on level progression and find the chart that lays out how many points you need to reach each level XX based on where you are now... to reach the higher levels it is upwards of 2 million XP -- that alone is quite likely the biggest deterrent and takes a bit longer than 90s... few people want to sit around and wait for a year before they can at least feel like they are playing level or the same equipment as others.

taking a quick look, I can tell... to reach the next real club milestone around L85 you will need 298,215 XP or around 246K more than you have now.

The next big milestone is L97 irons which requires over 1.5 million XP and the coveted high end driver at L102 is 2.77 million XP.

Is that a deterrent or an incentive to "gamers" who want to feel competitive in a few weeks or months versus possibly taking years to unlock those clubs?

The old timers and even myself to a degree right before WGT fixed or ended it - had access or use of what were called XP glitches or bugs that allowed us to rack up more XP than normal by playing a custom course glitch - it still required hundreds or thousands of rounds of play - but it was still faster than what you likely have to do now and I believe it still took me around a year to unlock the high end clubs... I think it is even harder now or takes longer than what it did 3-4 years ago.

Could easily be other factors -- but I too have wondered how in the world does Chess, that's right Chess, draw in more viewers than reportedly the most popular golf game?   

Guess there is something else we  are missing...

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2021 9:48 AM

WGT is not a game that was ever supposed to be an esports title, for multiple reasons. IMO the most important one is that the skill ceiling is extremely low. No one who plays the game at a reasonable level can be truly astonished by any shot one of the best players in the game executes because you could do the same shot just as well. What sets the best players apart is their consistency, but that's just not great TV. Whereas if I watch titles like CSGO or SC2 I think 'How the hell did he pull that off" every 10 seconds. 

When it comes to the popularity of the game in general, I can only speak for myself. I only recently bought a gaming PC after using a laptop for the 10 years before that and I couldn't really tell you how I played so many rounds of WGT for so long. There are a lot of competitive multiplayer games out there that are just a lot more fun as long as you still have a decent reaction time (which is slowly fading for me unfortunately :D ).

So yeah, in short, this game isn't more popular because it's just not that good to look at or to play if you have alternatives. 

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Tue, May 4 2021 2:26 PM

I would also suggest, like golf IRL, this game appeals to a select group of players - those that like to play golf as opposed to general gamers. Not as “thrilling” or complex, plus very little in fantasy and escapism.

RSS