Forums

Help › Forums

Can not download WGT app on desktop

Thu, Mar 16 2023 1:20 AM (26 replies)
  • firstinshow
    10 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2020 5:58 AM

I get directed to download app via windows, but WGT is not an app in windows.

• MarchieB
    1,524 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2020 6:37 AM

The word APP is just short for Application, or a synonym for Computer Program.

To download and install the NEW Launcher (PCEA) WGT golf game;

1A. Click the "DOWNLOAD" button that may be in a banner at the Top of your screen and it will give you the link to the Launcher download file, click on "save file"

OR

1B. Click on it the "GET THE APP" button that may be on the Left of your screen. Then click on the "Play on Windows" or "Play on Mac" depending on which computer you have. This will will give you the link to the Launcher download file, click on "save file"

OR

1C. Go to the very Bottom of this page and click on the "Download the App" link in the lower banner. Then click on the "Play on Windows" or "Play on Mac" depending on which computer you have. This will will give you the link to the Launcher download file, click on "save file"

2. find the  WGTlauncher.msi  file which you just saved, most likely in your Downloads folder. Double click on it and go through the Install Wizard which will install the Launcher App on your computer.

Install Notes: 

- Make sure you have the "add/create Shortcut on Desktop" box checked when going through the install. this Shortcut is how you start the Launcher to play. 

- When you first start the Launcher it will ask you to sign in. DO NOT chose New Player unless you have NEVER played any version of WGT golf before.

- Click on the the Sign In button and log in using your EXISTING user name and passwords from the Flash or Mobile version.

• duggles1942
    530 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2020 8:40 AM

When you say "your screen" it would help to know what screen you think I am looking at. If it's in the app, that eliminates the first two options, since I cannot load the program (which is the problem I am dealing with).

The third option is what I have already tried. If I click on "Play on Windows", nothing happens. It just sits there, and according to Process Explorer, nothing is downloading or running that has anything to do with the application.

• duggles1942
    530 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2020 8:49 AM

Okay - since I posted the above, I got a brainstorm. I had been trying the third option using Edge and Chrome, but I had not tried Firefox. When I tried that, an actual download started. I was able to run that install and everything started up just fine. My curiosity bids me continue down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out what went wrong, but for now I'm back  up and running on my laptop.

Any additional feedback that might help explain what went wrong would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

• MarchieB
    1,524 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2020 9:05 AM

What I mean by “your screen” was in reference to this forum page as you are reading my post. 
    I was going to suggest something to try but you already remedied the issue by changing to Firefox.  
    As far as why it did not work in Edge and Chrome, I’m not 100% sure but I suspect that they may be blocking pop ups and maybe it’s treating the download window box as a pop up??

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2020 10:05 AM

MarchieB:
    As far as why it did not work in Edge and Chrome, I’m not 100% sure but I suspect that they may be blocking pop ups and maybe it’s treating the download window box as a pop up??

I'm using Chrome and I had the same issue.  When I clicked on the "Play on Windows" button, nothing seemed to happen.  But if you right-click that button and hit "Open link in new tab" or "Open link in new window", it works.

Hope this helps.

• firstinshow
    10 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2020 11:52 AM

MarchieB, Sam, and Duggles

Thank you for your reply.  The problem for me was my Windows was running in what is called S mode.  I switched out of S mode and everything was fine.  

I downloaded Chrome.  Part of downloading Chrome is turning off "S MODE".  I can now use Microsoft Edge to download WGT, since "S MODE" is turned off.  Or, I could just use Chrome too.  

• firstinshow
    10 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2020 12:07 PM

Thank you for your reply.  The problem for me was my Windows was running in what is called S mode.  I switched out of S mode and everything was fine.  

I downloaded Chrome.  Part of downloading Chrome is turning off "S MODE".  I can now use Microsoft Edge to download WGT, since "S MODE" is turned off.  Or, I could just use Chrome too.  

• Dub7
    1 Posts
    Sun, Feb 14 2021 9:30 AM

You solved the problem Sam.....I have been randomly trying to download the app on windows, and when clicking on the "Play on Windows" button, nothing happened.  Why it works when I "right clicked" and opened in a news window is beyond me?  Regardless, thanks for the working tip!

RSS