Forums

Help › Forums

Wedge help

Thu, Dec 10 2020 7:43 AM (4 replies)
  • Kiwikidz
    1 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2020 6:27 PM

Looking for a little guidance here on wedges. I was wanting to purchase 2 wedges but not sure what to get that is affordable and what lofts to get. I get that the expensive ones will preform better but just dont have the finds for that and it is a lot of videos to watch to get that many coins!!

any suggestions on affordable wedges and lofts would be great or would I be better served getting a better putter?

cheers - kiwi

• hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Wed, Dec 9 2020 1:46 PM

I would go for 3 wedges,evenly spaced. like 60,80,100 or 50, 75, 100!  any good wedges will work fine.

• Dex000
    109 Posts
    Wed, Dec 9 2020 3:15 PM

Kiwikidz:

Looking for a little guidance here on wedges. 

would I be better served getting a better putter?

cheers - kiwi

Get rid of your hybrid then buy and equip these three wedges:

Titleist Vokey SM7 56° Wedge (L76+)

Titleist Vokey SM7 60° Wedge (L78+)

Titleist Vokey SM7 64° Wedge (L80+)

They're the last wedges you'll need to buy (unless WGT introduces something better at these yardages), and they'll cover any approach shot you'll need to make within 108 yards. Also learn to use punch shots from around the greens with the 60 and 64 degree wedges. 

Putters are more personal. I had the Master+ Max Control putter from Master up through Legend. No complaints. If I was in your place now, I'd rent the SeeMore M5HT L86 putter and try it for a few rounds.

Keep in mind that even though the better equipment is a must if you want to shoot low, the most important thing you can do is learn to read the greens and fine tune your approach shots with the clubs you have. There's a learning curve with any new clubs. 

Good luck.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Dec 10 2020 3:06 AM

Kiwikidz:
    any suggestions on affordable wedges and lofts would be great or would I be better served getting a better putter?
    Wedges before putter, all the time! These Starter wedges are total crap, especially with the variety of shorter shots, while the putter holds itself quite good. A high level putter certainly is better, but you need to make your choice between "Ding putting" and "Off-Ding putting" first.

The suggestion of three wedges is valid, but it requires some thought and calls for a more durable choice of irons than your L10 ones. This is because the three wedges should fit below the PW in an (ideally) even spacing. High level irons have about 115 yds PWs where a 100 yd wedge is a good fit. (105 is also available). 50-75-100 or 60-80-100/105 are common choices.

For you and for today, two wedges may be sufficient. Make your choice from 50 or 60 yds up!

Have fun!

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Thu, Dec 10 2020 7:43 AM

the vokeys above which have the same stats as the Clevelands i use are good wedges.

it will take you 34 days of watching videos to pay for them all. 150x34= 5100cr

RSS