Forums

Help › Forums

Flash "AFTER" DEC 2020 ....This may work?

Thu, Feb 9 2023 5:54 AM (67 replies)
  • JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2020 11:30 AM

Found the following info But I am not a super Tech Guy...Does this sound feasible and will this allow play on WGT ? 

The support of the Adobe Flash plugin is going to end in the year 2020, and that is for all major web browsers (Firefox, Opera, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari).

However, if you save the flash file (.swf) on your Windows computer. Then you open that file in a 'Flash player projector' application (not in a website). It is just like opening a video file in a movie player app. Then you can always use this Flash file (even after 2020).
    Any thoughts???
    JD
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2020 11:57 AM

JDGHOST:

Found the following info But I am not a super Tech Guy...Does this sound feasible and will this allow play on WGT ? 

The support of the Adobe Flash plugin is going to end in the year 2020, and that is for all major web browsers (Firefox, Opera, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari).

However, if you save the flash file (.swf) on your Windows computer. Then you open that file in a 'Flash player projector' application (not in a website). It is just like opening a video file in a movie player app. Then you can always use this Flash file (even after 2020).
    Any thoughts???
    JD

Flash Player Projectors are for developers only. I wish it would be true though

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2020 3:35 PM

A company named BlueMaxima's Flashpoint purchased the flash version from Adobe in the hopes of keeping games that were built on the adobe platform and still use adobe flash running. 

Even without it, all older browsers will still be able to use flash (NPAPI and PPAPI) long after 2020. It'll be a security issue more than anything else, but hopefully Flashpoint taking over will keep it running with patches and updates.

As for WGT..they may kill off the game client (to avoid paying for 3 platforms (steam, the 1st EA app, and Flash), but the wgt.com site will more than likely always be around. 

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2020 8:06 PM

jayw4862:

A company named BlueMaxima's Flashpoint purchased the flash version from Adobe in the hopes of keeping games that were built on the adobe platform and still use adobe flash running. 

Even without it, all older browsers will still be able to use flash (NPAPI and PPAPI) long after 2020. It'll be a security issue more than anything else, but hopefully Flashpoint taking over will keep it running with patches and updates.

As for WGT..they may kill off the game client (to avoid paying for 3 platforms (steam, the 1st EA app, and Flash), but the wgt.com site will more than likely always be around. 

Will WGT Recognize it as flash 12.0 or higher? If so it should work but if WGT doesn’t recognize it as flash 12.0 it might not work for playing WGT.

I went to download this and reading about it I found that it won't work on WGT. It said all games are stored in a folder in the bluemaxima Flashpoint directory. WGT was not one of the games listed. 

• jacktrade51
    10,835 Posts
    Sun, Jun 14 2020 8:52 PM

I saw somewhere from one of the WGT guys (don't remember which one) that they expect to keep a flash version in operation.  It was sort of well guys, we expect someone to set it up and we won't stand in the way.

I can see how that works for individual play.  But, will it work for AS and match play?  Those are 20-30% of my rounds.

For my part, I am signed into the PCEA version but haven't used it yet.

Tom.

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2020 9:56 AM

I have also seen where WGT stated it will be available as long as "WE" find a way to play it....

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2020 11:28 AM

JDGHOST:

if you save the flash file (.swf) on your Windows computer. Then you open that file in a 'Flash player projector' application (not in a website). It is just like opening a video file in a movie player app. Then you can always use this Flash file (even after 2020).
    Any thoughts???

I don't think that will work for the simple reason that the current (Flash / browser-based) version of WGT delivers the .swf file to you in your browser, which then uses its built-in Flash plug-in to render and display your shot.  I don't see WGT changing that.  So you'll still need to use a browser that has a built-in Flash plug-in that works.

• JDGHOST
    6,748 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2020 1:54 PM

SamSpayed:

JDGHOST:

if you save the flash file (.swf) on your Windows computer. Then you open that file in a 'Flash player projector' application (not in a website). It is just like opening a video file in a movie player app. Then you can always use this Flash file (even after 2020).
    Any thoughts???

I don't think that will work for the simple reason that the current (Flash / browser-based) version of WGT delivers the .swf file to you in your browser, which then uses its built-in Flash plug-in to render and display your shot.  I don't see WGT changing that.  So you'll still need to use a browser that has a built-in Flash plug-in that works.

Ok Fair enough....My quest continues as I refuse to give up hope !!!  LOL

• fireman33
    2,692 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2020 8:03 PM

Just play the new version on your pc. Lot of the bugs gone and plays very well

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2020 11:54 AM

JDGHOST:

SamSpayed:

JDGHOST:

Any thoughts???

JDGHOST:

SamSpayed:

JDGHOST:

Any thoughts???

Maybe using an older version of a browser that doesn't block flash by default. The browser that I use most of is  Comodo Dragon  29.1.0.0. It is quite old and uses NPAPI flash  by default because PAPPI flash wasn't around when Comodo released it. It doesn't block flash by default. It is the same browser that YJ uses, It is very stable with a very smooth meter. 

RSS