Forums

Help › Forums

Green Speed on Chips/Pitches

Tue, Jan 4 2022 9:19 PM (25 replies)
  • Tbuffkin
    3 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2020 8:00 AM

It would be great it the green speed was shown when chipping and putting onto the first hole of a game. It would be especially handy on mobile when you are only playing a 1 hole match, and you are greenside needing to chip, but have no clue how fast the greens are. Same on desktop or mobile on a multi hole game on the first hole, should you find yourself just off the green.

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2020 9:12 AM

It would be great, however IRL you don't know the green speed until you chip or pitch onto the green. 

I know the game gives us a lot of freebees wind speed, wind direction, putter pal, shot pal, but I beleive some things should remain unknown until you have the experience, that way it shows your ability to make adjustments to your game and become a better player. or you can play in your teir and always know the green speed for that teir

Siders Best

• Tbuffkin
    3 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2020 9:54 AM

I'd disagree on not knowing since all courses have putting greens, and the good courses have putting greens that reflect the speed of the greens on the course. There you can practice and get an idea for the speed before playing.

I still love this game regardless, especially in these days of quarantining and working from home. haha

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2020 11:13 AM

Tbuffkin:

It would be great it the green speed was shown when chipping and putting onto the first hole of a game. It would be especially handy on mobile when you are only playing a 1 hole match, and you are greenside needing to chip, but have no clue how fast the greens are. Same on desktop or mobile on a multi hole game on the first hole, should you find yourself just off the green.

The issue has been raised many times. Apparently, WGT is not going to change how things are. 

I'm still in the camp if a person has decent wedges and a ball with decent spin characteristics, the importance of green speed for chips and pitches is less than people imagine it to be. 

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2020 7:13 AM

Tbuffkin:

I'd disagree on not knowing since all courses have putting greens, and the good courses have putting greens that reflect the speed of the greens on the course. There you can practice and get an idea for the speed before playing.

I still love this game regardless, especially in these days of quarantining and working from home. haha

Actually many course’s putting green is nothing like the greens on the course. They only mow the putting green once a week instead of every day like the greens so the putting green is always slower than the greens. The course i play most often has bent grass greens  but the putting green is bermuda. So the putting green Is quite a bit slower the the greens.

• Dex000
    109 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2020 3:08 PM

Why would you not know what the green speed is when you start? You have the green speed for your tier, tournaments list the green speed when you sign up, and if you're playing stroke play with other players the speed defaults to the highest tier player. 

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Thu, Apr 23 2020 8:18 AM

IRL green speeds even change throughout the day. If a club mows early in the morning by mid afternoon the grass has grown or the wind came up or the rain rolled in. At least here we have consistency.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2020 8:21 AM

I would like to see the dots while my opponent is setting his shot up. Much like in real life. 

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2020 11:11 AM

Tony08888:
    I would like to see the dots while my opponent is setting his shot up. Much like in real life. 

You see dots in real life? When that happens to me I clean my glasses. :)

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Fri, Apr 24 2020 11:20 AM

The contour of the green. 😂

I noticed that after I posted. I was waiting for Robert to swoop in but you beat him to the punch. 

RSS