Forums

Help › Forums

Welcome to WGT Early Access!

Thu, Dec 14 2023 8:58 PM (1,414 replies)
  • pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 7:33 AM

thedugzbozz:

I lose half my putting green grid when I drag my marker right or left. Is there a way to putt with a full grid as I have always done in the flash version. Even in reverse view I still lose half my grid when I grab the marker to aim. is there a setting I can change to allow the whole grid to be available or is this going to be the new norm?

That's the norm!  you get used to it...been that way for 3 years for me.

• stephendaines
    4 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 12:35 PM

I`ve just tried the new version of WGT, the supposed replacement for the Flash version....Oh dear!!!!

WGT was amazing, simply because of its realistic nature, and the fact it did it`s best to not be "just another game". Unfortunately, my brief foray into the new version is just that. It now just seems like a new game on the market, aimed at people that don`t know how to play golf, or even how to play computer games. I always thought of WGT as a sim, not a game, more like the golf equivalent of iRacing, compared to a simple racing game. 

Alas, now i see another golf game, nothing special, nothing that makes it stands out from the rest. Just a PC version of  mobile game, no doubt with the intention of attracting hoards of non golfers. I can see it`s appeal to younger players, probably another aim from a commercial point of view.

I know you have said there will be more improvements, and i sincerely hope there are, but those improvements need to be huge to bring this up to the previous high standard of WGT. They always say that the initial reaction is what keeps people...it also has the opposite effect too.

So far, I am very disappointed in what I have found, and sadly, unless there are vast improvements, I shall continue with Flash until it dies, and then search for something else to entertain myself

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 1:38 PM

stephendaines:
    my brief foray into the new version

Just so. 

Perhaps try and dig a little deeper before you pass judgement on it, and you may find that the games are not as dissimilar as you think. The same photos are used for the courses, the shot physics are the same too. The avatar and some overlays are lower quality I'll give you that, and the putting takes some relearning too, but the other differences are mostly cosmetic and can be adjusted or turned off. 

But if all you do is take a brief look at it and then think you know all you need to know in order to decide it's not worth playing then I'm afraid your opinion - however valid it is by virtue of being your own - doesn't carry much weight.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 2:49 PM

Wutpa:
    But if all you do is take a brief look at it and then think you know all you need to know in order to decide it's not worth playing then I'm afraid your opinion - however valid it is by virtue of being your own - doesn't carry much weight.

His opinion is as valid as yours and has the advantage of being a new one.  How many times must the, totally ridiculous, idea that those that say they don't like the new game just haven't tried hard enough to adapt be trotted out.

And by the way he at least didn't say he knew it all he said he'd wait and see if it's improved enough:  So far, I am very disappointed in what I have found, and sadly, unless there are vast improvements, I shall continue with Flash until it dies, and then search for something else to entertain myself

I really don't like marmite, do you reccoment I adapt or should I continue to enjoy butter on my toast?  People will play it if they enjoy playing it, they wont think "it's all right I'll adapt and maybe enjoy this in a couple of months".  We are consumers and there's a massive choice of games to play. Other factors may come in for some, like 100's of £'s spent on equipment but he doesn't have that complication. Ah well at least i didn't make that mistake with marmite.

The last paragraph of his post (in brackets here) makes perfect sense to me, I wouldn't persume to know how much weight it carries with others.

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2020 6:26 PM

DodgyPutter:

Wutpa:

His opinion is as valid as yours and has the advantage of being a new one.  How many times must the, totally ridiculous, idea that those that say they don't like the new game just haven't tried hard enough to adapt be trotted out.

And by the way he at least didn't say he knew it all he said he'd wait and see if it's improved enough:  So far, I am very disappointed in what I have found, and sadly, unless there are vast improvements, I shall continue with Flash until it dies, and then search for something else to entertain myself

I really don't like marmite, do you reccoment I adapt or should I continue to enjoy butter on my toast?  People will play it if they enjoy playing it, they wont think "it's all right I'll adapt and maybe enjoy this in a couple of months".  We are consumers and there's a massive choice of games to play. Other factors may come in for some, like 100's of £'s spent on equipment but he doesn't have that complication. Ah well at least i didn't make that mistake with marmite.

The last paragraph of his post (in brackets here) makes perfect sense to me, I wouldn't persume to know how much weight it carries with others.

I wrote a very long response and rebuttal to this because it has been a frustrating, anxiety-inducing week (for all sorts of reasons) and your comments just made me feel stressed and angry.

But I've since deleted the post because....well, whatever. I come to this site to relieve anxiety and to have fun, not experience it or pass it along to others. There's too much negative, angry and insulting posting that goes on here and I do not wish to further contribute to that steaming pile with reactionary responses, whether I deem them to be justified or not.

So I shall just say that whilst you and I see things very differently, I wish you happy golfing whichever road you take with WGT or any other recreational game, and I shall leave it at that.

The same goes to stephendaines. I hope you can stick with it and continue your enjoyment of WGT, but if not then good luck to you sir.

Peace, and all that good stuff.

Nigel.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 4:20 AM

Wutpa:

I wrote a very long response and rebuttal to this because it has been a frustrating, anxiety-inducing week (for all sorts of reasons) and your comments just made me feel stressed and angry.

But I've since deleted the post because....well, whatever. I come to this site to relieve anxiety and to have fun, not experience it or pass it along to others. There's too much negative, angry and insulting posting that goes on here and I do not wish to further contribute to that steaming pile with reactionary responses, whether I deem them to be justified or not.

Similarly I didn't come on to annoy you, I simply responded to your post, it wasn't personal. I do admit the "unwilling to adapt" thing is starting to annoy me but it was the way you responded to stephendaines that caused the reply.

If you could do one thing, please read his post again.  To me it was a well thought out, observant and articulate post on what he thought. Nothing ranting just a bit of sadness about what was happening.  He even addressed the point that it was a brief forray,   "They always say that the initial reaction is what keeps people...it also has the opposite effect too.".

You quoted part of one sentence and reached the conclusion "your opinion - however valid it is by virtue of being your own - doesn't carry much weight."  But for that dissmissal I probably wouldn't have responded, perhaps even if the last part sounded more like an opinion and less like a "fact".

I appologise if I took your post in the wrong way, I genuinely responded to what I read,  I am also sorry you're feeling anxious and frustrated and for contributing to that.  Doubly so if this has had a similar effect.  I will delete stuff if you want me to, but only then as I think removing posts that have parts of them quoted later can lead to things being taken out of context.  That's general not in relation to yours. (I'm even debating if i should change brackets to itialics on mine),

Have fun Nigel, maybe we wont be best pals but I wish you and yours only the best. 

• Wutpa
    4,803 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 7:29 AM

DodgyPutter:

Wutpa:

Similarly I didn't come on to annoy you, I simply responded to your post, it wasn't personal. I do admit the "unwilling to adapt" thing is starting to annoy me but it was the way you responded to stephendaines that caused the reply.

If you could do one thing, please read his post again.  To me it was a well thought out, observant and articulate post on what he thought. Nothing ranting just a bit of sadness about what was happening.  He even addressed the point that it was a brief forray,   "They always say that the initial reaction is what keeps people...it also has the opposite effect too.".

You quoted part of one sentence and reached the conclusion "your opinion - however valid it is by virtue of being your own - doesn't carry much weight."  But for that dissmissal I probably wouldn't have responded, perhaps even if the last part sounded more like an opinion and less like a "fact".

I appologise if I took your post in the wrong way, I genuinely responded to what I read,  I am also sorry you're feeling anxious and frustrated and for contributing to that.  Doubly so if this has had a similar effect.  I will delete stuff if you want me to, but only then as I think removing posts that have parts of them quoted later can lead to things being taken out of context.  That's general not in relation to yours. (I'm even debating if i should change brackets to itialics on mine),

Have fun Nigel, maybe we wont be best pals but I wish you and yours only the best. 

I appreciate the response and I absolutely don't want you to delete anything at all.

I wrote what I wrote because I have read so many posts from people who try the new version for 5 minutes and then come here to declare it a lost cause and a rant about how WGT have effed the whole thing up...etc.

I know that was not the approach stephendaines took and his was more a tone of disappointment than anger, and maybe your viewpoint is well aligned with his so you found it especially sympathetic. I just wish some people would try it a bit more before coming to share their profound disappointment about a version they have barely dipped their toe into. It's...different, but I do believe that sometimes some people automatically equate different with worse and then give up. That's everyone's choice, but I feel it's a shame for them as much as anything.

I shouldn't have phrased things in such a way as you or he thought I was putting him down and I also shouldn't have let your response get under my skin. I still believe that you misinterpreted both my message and the intent of it, but that sort of thing happens around here all the time and I'm at least partly culpable if I phrase things too ambiguously or sloppily. There's so much negativity around the globe at the moment that sometimes it gets to me when I come here and instantly run into more negativity....but in trying to offer an alternative view I end up just adding to or causing more negativity. There's the painful rub.

I do not wish to be on the wrong side of you or stephendaines or anyone. Well, maybe that last bit isn't quite true because there are one or two people who pollute the forum with trolling irrelevancies and ego-inflating nonsense that I shall never warm to. But hey, I don't engage with them anyway.

Later.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2020 3:27 PM

@ Nigel, You're right that I've not spent a lot of time on the new game and I've no doubt I'd like it more if I played it more. 

I don't think I'll ever really like it and the two (three?) principal reasons are the apparel, that there will be no uel and wgt's attitude - asked literally dozens of times if there will be uel they haven't even had the decency to answer. It's not just me that's asked-then I'd understand :-)  I actually liked the putting was different although no doubt the stopwatches will have that worked out by now.

It's not as simple as don't use the apparel, I am fairly sure it will be used in tounaments in the future as wgt will want people to spend on it.  So don't use it and lose yards, spin and/or forgiveness to others, be as well entering rg's using starters.

UEL is the real key for me and I think the silence, apart from being quite rude (not even a "we don't know yet"), is revealing.

More generally, and certainly not directed  at Nigel in particular, how do those that want to keep playing on flash maximise their chances of doing so?  Here's what WGT say: All major browsers will drop support for Flash at the end of 2020. Our Flash app may continue to work for a bit longer as players upgrade.

Hmmm, seems we're on depends how you read it again and most important is how long is "a bit longer."

This is obviously me just interpreting and speculating now. 

The Steam idea isn't exactly flying, a peak of 401 and a daily average of 326 (with the trend generally down although maybe flattening out now)  playing there. So they will have mainly mobile customers and those on PCEA.  If they cut off the flash game on Dec 31st then most of thier PC customers are gone at a stroke, so when do they cut it off?  I could see many changing dates and the real answer being when they have absolutely no choice.  Most players don't visit the forum, join a CC or read e-mails from wgt.  I suppose the will find a way of messaging all 15 million or whatever it is, getting them to read it is harder.

Wgt even say the reason they'll keep flash is so players can "upgrade" (no comment) so if I want to keep uel available I'd probably be best getting rid of the PCEA version so they can wait for me to "upgrade".  Surely, from what they're saying, the more that switch the quicker flash will go ;-)

RSS