Forums

Help › Forums

Pinhunter Excel question

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 9 2024 8:27 AM (24 replies)
  • HittyHard
    775 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:14 AM

Is it possibly because "auto calculate" isn't activated?

Have a look in the menu bar - "Formulas / Calculation Options"

Gary.

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:15 AM

Did as requested, but didn't make any change (if I did it correctly). Wondering if these 2 problem cells not displaying any output may be due to these cells being protected or something to that effect that I've read about in my quick research the past day or two? Just a thought?

• ScottHope
    10,098 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:24 AM

Thanks HittyHard, I just tried that on my sheet, the result still shows, it just doesn't update until you refresh the sheet manually.  : (

Jym, I think protecting cells stops the content from being altered, which is a good thing where formulas are concerned, but the whole sheet has to be protected for the protection to work and this worksheet doesn't have that enabled.

• ScottHope
    10,098 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:29 AM

Okay, lets try removing all of the formatting from those two cells.

Select both those cells, then press the following keys. Don't hold them down, just press them one after the other.

alt  h   e   f

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:40 AM

Highlighted (in a gray color) 2 problem cells C6 & C7 then pressed the Alt key, h, e, f  in succession without holding any of the keys down. Didn't correct problem.

• ScottHope
    10,098 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:50 AM

That's a clue, those two cells on my sheet are B6 & B7.

Anyway, did the green background colour disappear from those cells?

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 10:03 AM

Scott- You can send me to stand in the corner with a dunce cap on! It never occured to me I was to enter data in B column, as A & B column was showing an example, & I assumed I was to enter data into 1st "OPEN column C Wrong!!! As Bennie Hill the English comic says it's not good to assume anything, for if you do you could make an ASS out of U and Me. All is working perfectly now.

My only other question is where do I enter one of the 7 green speeds discussed earlier? Before I forget though, let me sincerly thank you for spending all the time & hassle you donated on my problem. I sincerly appreciate your help beyond measure. Slim

Update:Give me 2 dunce caps & stand me in the corner twice as long. Just found chart & answer to the 7 green speeds, so ignore question above. Thanks again Scott. I sincerly apologize for all the trouble I've put you through. Best regards Slim

• ScottHope
    10,098 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 10:12 AM

Oops!  No worries Jym, if you are not a regular user of Excel it can be a bit of a minefield to the novice.

You can find the putting bit on the other tab shown here...

.. and you're very welcome, thank you Slim.

Scott.

• HittyHard
    775 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 2:12 PM

ScottHope:
    Thanks HittyHard, I just tried that on my sheet, the result still shows, it just doesn't update until you refresh the sheet manually.  : (

I find that when my cat walks across / decides to have a protest sleep on my laptop, he activates the keyboard shortcut that disables my auto calc. Best thing is, if you Google what the shortcut is - can't find it! Lol. Clever, clever cat.

Looks like you and Jym got there in the end - good work as usual Scott.

Gary.

• ScottHope
    10,098 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 3:24 PM

Thanks Gary.

Cats, I reckon it's jealousy because they see the magic box getting more attention than they do, hehe. : )

...and when you do pay them some attention, this is what you get, lol.

RSS