Forums

Help › Forums

Hybrid vs 3 Wedges

Mon, May 13 2024 11:35 PM (27 replies)
  • Davemuck63
    303 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 12:18 PM

I plan to upgrade my driver and 3 wood. I would like to purchase the Callaway Fusion driver and 3 wood (lvs 85 and 86).  I was wondering about dropping one of my wedges and adding a Hybrid.  I've noticed some players using the Hybrid more. I'm wondering what are the advantages and disadvantages in doing this. I would appreciate your opinion on this matter.

Thanks  Dave

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 12:35 PM

The only things I might think of changing now (in your position) would be wedges.  3 evenly spaced HL ones.

In punch mode a 3W functions OK as a hybrid (try Tspin as an experiment).

I just don't think you need to consider anything else until you get to the next tier, and then take a view at what's around then.  

At Legend any last argument over how many wedges (really 3 v 4 is the real debate) is over.  Driver, 3W and 3 evenly spaced wedges is the way.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 1:46 PM

Davemuck63:
    I would like to purchase the Callaway Fusion driver and 3 wood (lvs 85 and 86).  I was wondering about dropping one of my wedges and adding a Hybrid.

Bad move, IMO. 2 things pop up in response. 1-compare how many times you would use that in a given round vs how many times you would need the low end coverage a 3rd wedge gives you. 2-you have a tee advantage and don't need anything more than a driver and 4 wedges.

If you plan to stay in the game and make Legend and beyond, consider dropping the 3W and add a 4th wedge!. Here's the logic............your 3i punches out of trouble you get into with errant drives. You aren't going to make heroic shots from bad lies off the tee, that's folly. You get back into play and save par.

This is where the low end coverage comes into play because you have every yardage covered in one form or another. Punch, pitch, chip and flop with those wedges, learn them now and then when you get to the back tees, you go back to the 3W and keep 3 wedges you know inside and out.

FWIW, I never used a 3W until I made Legend (TM golf is driver/wedge) and I can't tell you how valuable the experience with those wedges has paid off, to this day.  :-)

• Woodie312
    671 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 7:47 PM

YankeeJim:

Here's the logic............your 3i punches out of trouble you get into with errant drives. You aren't going to make heroic shots from bad lies off the tee, that's folly. You get back into play and save par.

This is where the low end coverage comes into play because you have every yardage covered in one form or another. Punch, pitch, chip and flop with those wedges, learn them now and then when you get to the back tees, you go back to the 3W and keep 3 wedges you know inside and out.

FWIW, I never used a 3W until I made Legend (TM golf is driver/wedge) and I can't tell you how valuable the experience with those wedges has paid off, to this day.  :-)

I agree with YJ absolutely 100%!!!!

Everything he said, sounded like a replay of my experiance as a TM. I never thougt about it till read his last comment, but it really was all D/W play. I dont think I pulled my 3wd out of the bag 25 times as a TM, except to tee off with it now and then. But I did learn my irons & wedges inside and out, and learned them in all conditions: fairway, rough, sand, and the wasteland.

I learned them not by trying to but out of necissity because of over driving holes and putting the ball where the course designer wanted to tempt you to put it and not where he said you should put it. And even though I have upgraded the irons since the knowlege I gained on them still passes over for 90% of it, the other 10% is just updating the numbers to the new specs.

Ask yourself one question.....have you ever had to use a driver to dig yourself out of trouble from a previous shot? Answer is probably NO but I bet you have had to use every other club to bail you out of trouble casued by the driver.

Basically IMHO you should build your bag from the pin out or the bottom up. By this I mean short game, approch game, then the worry about  being king kong the super gorrila off the tee.

Just my 0.02 for what it is  worth.

• player987654
    28 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 8:29 PM

YJ, I know that you firmly support the use of 4 wedges (5 including PW), but I'm still not sold on it. 

As a Legend I find that I need the extra yards, particularly for the fairway on par 5s and par 4s with a headwind. I still have plenty of options in my short game, with my wedges giving me a combined 20 shot types. I'm sure you can win me over, but that's still a tough one for me.

On a side note, it's unfortunate that we have Drivers that are easier to hit than 3 woods. For realism, it would be great if the drivers had the cramped up swing meter and not the 3W.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 10:00 PM

As a Legend 3 wedges IMO all day everyday............The OP is not yet and so some case for debate even if I would say go with 3 as plenty rule of thumb with the equipment now available so early.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 10:50 PM

player987654:
    YJ, I know that you firmly support the use of 4 wedges (5 including PW), but I'm still not sold on it. 

You're a Legend, the OP's a TM. YOU need that 3W, he doesn't, let alone that AND a HB. You remember how easy it was from the forward tees.

FWIW, when I first made Legend I stayed with 4 wedges for a short time and it was doable but you really need a 3W as a Legend.  :-)

• player987654
    28 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 11:13 PM

Okay that makes sense. I guess the concept is just a bit foreign to me since I always used a 3W (probably thinking it would get me some eagles or gold or something).

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 11:27 PM

player987654:
    Okay that makes sense. I guess the concept is just a bit foreign to me since I always used a 3W (probably thinking it would get me some eagles or gold or something).

Set yourself up with some practice rounds off the tips and see what the difference is...years ago, the forum was full of "I quit" when TM's turned to Legend...only the strong survive;)

• bifferskipper
    76 Posts
    Mon, Jul 3 2017 2:50 AM

LOL I remember the day I made legend, I was like OH NOOOOOOO! LOL, went to the pro shop went broke and learned a whole NEW game, I will have to agree with YJ. As TM or lower there's no need for a hybrid.

RSS