Help › Forums

callaway 64 deg

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 6 2017 10:05 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, May 18 2017 3:32 PM

a bit puzzled why there is not a 64 deg Callaway Mack Daddy Wedge.  does anyone have an idea, why that is?

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, May 18 2017 5:36 PM

el3n1:

a bit puzzled why there is not a 64 deg Callaway Mack Daddy Wedge.  does anyone have an idea, why that is?

WGT can only put what Callway makes in the game. From research we have done we found that Callaway doesn't make a 64 degree wedge in the Mack Daddy line.!

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, May 18 2017 5:43 PM

They dont make one as strange as that may sound its the truth . Left many of the players flabbergasted and completely dumb founded . When they were added to the pro shop eeveryone noticed this and wondered what WGT was going to do about it .

Well the answer is nothing so to me the upgrade then made no sense to do . Since I already have L76 78 & L80 wedges no need as they were the 3 top wedges until the new Mac Daddy wedges came along . Also you will also notice that the new 60 degree wedge only goes 75 yards and not 80 yards . Why they made it to go 5 yards shorter is another mystery .

So the best thing to do is get the RTX 2.0 wedges and be done . That way all of your wedges will have the same meter speed and to me they are still the top 3 wedges in the shop .

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 8:31 AM

good points from both, thanks!

I have held off on the RTX's because when I tested them the one shot I occasionally use when I don't want the ball to back up off the green is to hit short and get it to kick forward (top spin) to the hole.  while it could be the balls I use, I was unable to get the clevelands to do this even with max top spin when I tested them for a free trial.  they still stop the ball on a dime, even the free starter ball, but couldn't get them to release forward at all.  was my only thought.  of course, everyone makes the necessary adjustments, but given they are the most expensive wedges sold, would have liked this additional aspect of playability. 

if I am doing something wrong, feel free to let me know how to get them to release.  unfortunately, I will have missed the discount period after a free trial so I may have to wait until another free demo day to buy wedges to save some credits.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 11:09 AM

el3n1:
    but couldn't get them to release forward at all.

Punch them with top spin. 

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 12:08 PM

What ball are you using ? Right now I see the starter ball but that shouldnt make a difference . My problem with them has been getting them to stop without backing up . Sometimes even with top spin they will still back up but I love them just the same . Also you have to remember that depending on the course will also change the way the clubs perform .

But hands down when you get them you wont be disappointed . Getting used to the spin will  be the hardest thing especially when you have a good ball with a lot of spin .

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 12:09 PM

Or try the level 91 Max Meter 64. I use that one alongside the Mack Daddies, and it works very well with both topspin and back spin. Same meter speed.

http://www.wgt.com/proshop/product_compare.aspx?compare=true&c=Wedges&i=719d6249-69f1-466e-9ae9-f370805c576c,c4108e4e-88f1-4130-bb35-45f19ef2bddd,6c71de8b-f6d8-4bbe-b2fb-dc3a2b823a51

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 2:19 PM

I don't use back or top spin on my Cleveland wedges, they stop pretty good for me.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Fri, May 19 2017 8:54 PM

Tks everyone!  Right now off the master tee when i use an upgraded ball i primarily use L11 srixon.  I play good balls on the desktop, but use the starter ball on tablet for building xp and save hits on my credit balls.  Seem to be able to do ok with starters on tablet but they are too quick on pc to be consistent with for me.  Also since coins cant be used for much, i hate using credit balls for coin matches when i cant buy balls with coins.  Even suggested to cust support to charge comparable price in coins or offer balls as rewards for top 10 finish but havent seen any changes.  So i grind away with starters and save good balls where i feel i have better shot at shooting good scores on pc.  

My concern with not getting the clevelands to release on greens with false fronts where a goot shot turns out spinning off green. Ugh.  The alternative would be to throw it past hole then u can have slippery downhill putt espec on t12 or c13 greens on merion for ex.  

Will consider the suggestions provided i shud have some time before being promoted n i may not do too many more upgrades until i advance but i definitely think i will want upgrades before getting to legend but that could be awhile.  

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Sun, Jul 2 2017 8:27 AM

I guess we will see if anyone is still following.

I passed on the Cleveland wedges at the time hoping a free trial day would pop up that I could pick up all three with the 10% discount but hasn't happened.

To be honest, the AVG's in the upper L80's are pretty close to the Clevelands spec's wise.  What I like about them is they cover a larger range than the Clevelands.

For example, My current AVG's pretty much cover me from 101 to 38y before I drop down to the flop and pitch shots.  This is of course using full and punch shot modes.

I am speculating based on videos I have watched of top players, the Clevelands will range 103/4 to about 48y.  I am unsure of what the top end flop and pitch distances are of the Cleveland 100y wedge so this may leave a slight gap.

Given wedges can be your shot savers, this potential small gap may be worth considering. 

I just want the best value and best bang for the credits.  I have posted some good scores with my mid level AVG wedges, so I feel I could adapt if I had to make the switch.  But if I don't have to spend and additional 1200 credits for the same or similar performance, why would I?  I have noticed there are some champion players that use the AVG's but there appear to be more with the Clevelands.  I just don't know if this is because they are better or people just fell into the marketing appeal of them. 

Goodness, am closing in on my next level progression so I will at least try the next AVG wedge if it is offered for free trial but undecided at this time. 

• PAGES
RSS