Forums

Help › Forums

This Game Is Rigged For A Player To Fail

Mon, Sep 5 2011 9:21 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • giantfan5611
    135 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 6:42 AM

Every time I'm having a good round, the shots invariably start to defy both logic and physics to ensure bogeys galore. I actually had a shot "lip out" from 3 inches away despite hitting the shot so softly that it barely registered on the meter.  It's only a game and I don't mind a challenge, but come on...at least make it a fair and square challenge!

• giantfan5611
    135 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:33 AM

As if to prove my point, I hit a tee shot that landed on a flat area of the fairway..... and watched as the ball stopped completely....THEN... magically start to roll again to the left long enough to....of course....find the bunker...... where I proceeded to go on to double bogey the hole! 

• Beryman
    9,085 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:37 AM

giantfan5611:
    I actually had a shot "lip out" from 3 inches away despite hitting the shot so softly that it barely registered on the met

next time hit it a bit harder and it will roll into the hole...hitting it that soft allows it to break

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:38 AM

Hi,

next time you experience this peculiar behavior, please save a replay and post it here so we can take a look and see what's going on.

-wgticon

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 7:58 AM

giantfan5611:

Every time I'm having a good round, the shots invariably start to defy both logic and physics to ensure bogeys galore. I actually had a shot "lip out" from 3 inches away despite hitting the shot so softly that it barely registered on the meter.  It's only a game and I don't mind a challenge, but come on...at least make it a fair and square challenge!

Always hit ANY short putt like that with at least 1 ft of power you wont miss. As for the other shot, you had to be on a slope for the ball to do that, its not unusual for the ball to appear to have stopped and start rolling again. If the ball has truly stopped, the game will start loading the next shot.

• Cleworthy
    3,466 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 10:26 AM

I suppose everyone has their own putting philosophy.  I my case I tend to hit my short putts a little harder than needed to keep them on line and ensure they get in the cup.  Think of it as "back of the cup".  On my longer putts I try to have the ball die in the hole, which by the way was Jack Nicklaus' philosophy.  By trying to get the ball to die in the hole, you utilize 100% of the hole and ensure that worst case is a 2-putt.  But again everyone is different.

• SgtDoodles
    3,112 Posts
    Mon, Apr 18 2011 10:52 AM

4 words you will hear from an Amateur whose average has stopped rocketing down:

The game is rigged.

• giantfan5611
    135 Posts
    Fri, Apr 22 2011 4:17 PM

ok lets call it "flawed' instead of rigged ok?

or maybe you can explain how, after back to back birdies on 11 and 12 , I hit a dead solid drive off the tee at 13, straight as an arrow with a dead straight 20 mph wind going WITH my shot no less.....how it ends up in the fescue,  where i proceed to double bogey the hole negating my back to back birdies???

A  straight shot aided by a 20 mile an hour wind hit dead solid perfect on the meter....how does it end up boomerranging hard right into the fescue and not in the darned fairway?

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Fri, Apr 22 2011 4:50 PM

giantfan5611:

ok lets call it "flawed' instead of rigged ok?

or maybe you can explain how, after back to back birdies on 11 and 12 , I hit a dead solid drive off the tee at 13, straight as an arrow with a dead straight 20 mph wind going WITH my shot no less.....how it ends up in the fescue,  where i proceed to double bogey the hole negating my back to back birdies???

A  straight shot aided by a 20 mile an hour wind hit dead solid perfect on the meter....how does it end up boomerranging hard right into the fescue and not in the darned fairway?

It doesn't, I have been here for well over 2 years now and while I have seen a few odd shots I have never seen it do some of the stuff you are saying. Are we exaggerating a bit here?

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Fri, Apr 22 2011 5:53 PM

giantfan5611:

First answer , even if not the best, could be the crappy, low precision Starter driver...sometimes you have no clue where that "perfect" shot is going.

Best answer:

Since you say fescue, I'll assume you were playing St. Andrews. Have you really looked at those fairways? Where your ball lands makes all the the difference there. A foot of so of carry can make a difference of 40+ yards. Just the same, a wee bit left or right on one those zillion moguls will send your ball straight off the course.

Best advice ... pay attention & practice ... quit looking for some huge conspiracy to explain your shortcomings. Believe it or not, we ALL have those WTF shots sometimes, it's just part of the game.

• PAGES
RSS