Forums

Help › Forums

Guide To The Perfect Power On The Meter

Wed, Feb 22 2012 6:22 AM (111 replies)
  • sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2011 7:16 PM

I've got to agree with Ace on this, your suggestion is just a crutch. Anybody using it is kidding themselves and cheating the game! I my self would feel like a a scumbag to use this gimmick to improve my score

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2011 7:29 PM

You mean people use rulers, calculators, take notes about each hole, sand traps,bunkers,wind and such............I had no idea such shenanigans were going on. Where has your Honer and Integrity gone....next thing you know people will be cheating on their income tax and complaining that the government isn't doing enough to help the rich.  LMAO!!!!

• DocMurphy
    35 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2011 8:13 PM

For every person that complains about the integrity of using a device like this, there's 30 people who already are or will. So complain all you want people, it has no bearing on how I feel or whether people will use it or not. 

On Tigerwoods does it not give you a marker exactly at the distance the pin is in relation to the yardage on the meter? It freaking SHOWS you where it is for crying out loud. 

On links did you not have markings that told you the percentages and tell you at which percent on your current club the aim marker was at?

All a tool like this does is make it easier to see where on the marker certain percentages are, It in no way tells you how the wind or elevation will effect your shot, what type of shot to use during what situations, and how the ball will react when coming out of a deep rough or a sandtrap. So in retrospect you still have to have skill in order to do the calculations to figure out what percentage is actually necessary and WHERE to aim the shot. This just takes the guess work out of where that percentage is on the meter.

• sdorr
    650 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2011 8:16 PM

Goooooooooooood popcorn eating material!

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2011 8:30 PM

I feel meter aides take away the natural feel of the game. Changing the characteristics of the swing meter will change the reality of the game. I agree with Ace.

To each their own I suppose.

GL

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2011 8:31 PM

I like the idea of lining the ball up allowing for the wind & spin & smashing it as hard as I can approach. 

No ruler or marker what ever it is called is not going to tell you how the ball will react on landing on the green as it is all skill & practice.

Not that hard to look down at the meter & roughly work out what 95% or 85% 

But at the end of the day use what works for you if it means hitting every iron with in 10ft on every hole. YOU STILL HAFT 2 MAKE THE PUTT and no how to make putts. perfect iron shots does not improve your score if you can not putt 2 save your life

• DocMurphy
    35 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2011 8:49 PM

suncity28:

But at the end of the day use what works for you if it means hitting every iron with in 10ft on every hole. YOU STILL HAFT 2 MAKE THE PUTT and no how to make putts. perfect iron shots does not improve your score if you can not putt 2 save your life

LOL thats where the ruler comes in handy too. As far as putting goes all you have to do is line the putting ruler that was made up with the meter, figure out what the distance is with the elevation figured in (ie: a 15ft putt with a 3 inch up elevation on a "very fast" green translates into roughly a 54-55% putt on a 30ft scale by taking 15 and adding 3ft for the 3 inch elevation, multiplying that by 100 and dividing it by 30, making it a normal 60% shot then multiplying that by 0.9 for the "very fast" green speed leaving you with about 54-55%, then adjust the aim for the break, and swing away.) Simple as that, which I know sounds like alot but can actually be calcutaed within about 5 seconds (which is handy if you happen to be in a multiplayer game).

For what's it worth for anyone who wants to know I have found that when dealing with green speeds, 

Fast = 100% of the normal shot when calculated

Very Fast = 90% of the normal shot

Tour Master Tournament = 80% of a normal shot

Legend Tournament = 75% of a normal shot

So when doing the calculations for putting just take the distance of the putt, add or subtract a foot for every inch up or down, multiply that number by 100, divide it by the appropriate putting scale, then multiply it by 0.9, 0.8, or 0.75 based on the current green speed and you can make the putt if you aim for the break properly.

On another note other calculations (that work for me atleast) include adding or subtracting 1 yard for every 2mph of wind (so basically dividing the wind in half and adding or subtracting that many yards). And for elevation change adding or subtracting 1yard for every 3 feet of elevation change.

These calculations work out decently for me and lands the ball within 2 - 4 yards on a regular basis, but I don't put a guarantee behind them for your own game, and you still have to keep things in mind like what lie your shooting out of, what kind of landing area is in the vicinity as far as hills and breaks go, and whether or not the shot your taking is less than 75% of the club your using because I have noticed anything under 75% seems to act slightly different and seems to need an extra 5% sometimes depending on the shot.

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2011 9:06 PM

DocMurphy:

As far as putting goes all you have to do is line the putting ruler that was made up with the meter, figure out what the distance is with the elevation figured in (ie: a 15ft putt with a 3 inch up elevation on a "very fast" green translates into roughly a 54-55% putt on a 30ft scale by taking 15 and adding 3ft for the 3 inch elevation, multiplying that by 100 and dividing it by 30, making it a normal 60% shot then multiplying that by 0.9 for the "very fast" green speed leaving you with about 54-55%, then adjust the aim for the break, and swing away.) Simple as that, which I know sounds like alot but can actually be calcutaed within about 5 seconds (which is handy if you happen to be in a multiplayer game).

For what's it worth for anyone who wants to know I have found that when dealing with green speeds, 

Fast = 100% of the normal shot when calculated

Very Fast = 90% of the normal shot

Tour Master Tournament = 80% of a normal shot

Legend Tournament = 75% of a normal shot

Your putting% are

Longest Putt Made 49 Ft.
    Putting Avg. Per Hole 1.66
    Putting Avg. Per Round 16.63
    One Putt % 37.41%
    Two Putt % 58.89%
    Three Putts or More % 3.70%

My Putting stats

Longest Putt Made 65 Ft.
    Putting Avg. Per Hole 1.33
    Putting Avg. Per Round 12.72
    One Putt % 66.82%
    Two Putt % 31.68%
    Three Putts or More % 1.50%

No offence Ill take note of your putting advice once you lift your one putt per hole average over 60%

I looked back in the 5000 topics & found the topic of what you were trying to do with your swing meter the forum topic link below

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/6988/44117.aspx#44117

• DocMurphy
    35 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2011 9:28 PM

lmao suncity, that software might as well be recycle bin creation of the month. You have to PAY to get a version without a whole bunch of crap in your way of seeing the meter, and it doesnt even take into account the pixel difference between a normal shot and a putt. And appears to be years old.

I just wanted to lend a free way for people to create their own version of a meter ruler that is SPECIFIC to their computer monitor, and isnt some software they have to use that who knows if it works right or not. 

I have gotten to much crap over it ever since I posted this that people won't even play me anymore, so don't worry about it, I get enough crap as it is.

And as far as my putting advice goes, youre looking at data collected from the 27 ranked rounds ive played Versus the 275 youve played. Take into consideration that I only recently have figured out these calculations, and it can take a while for the stats to adjust themselves out over time, so eventually it will start becoming more apparent that my calculations are correct. 

And p.s. I didnt necessarily say I was reading the breaks correctly everytime, just that my putts usually land within 1ft or less past the cup and not coming up short or shooting way past.. so the distance calculation is correct.

• DocMurphy
    35 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2011 9:40 PM

And for what it's worth it would appear that the only people that have voiced a negative opinion about this so far is,

THEACEFACTOR - Legend

SIXKILLER - Legend

SUNCITY28 - Legend

And guess what??? Theyre all LEGENDS!!
    So it would appear to me that the guys at the top (who probably have been using something similiar to this either software wise or taped to their screen) don't want the rest of the community suddenly becoming as good as them, because they think they EARNED that right. Well guess what guys, all I did was take some of the guess work out of the game for some people, so get over your high and mighty selves.

RSS