Forums

Help › Forums

Iron Upgrade from NIKE Vapor Fly Pro (L85) to TaylorMade RSi2 (L90) - Is it worth it?

Sun, Oct 9 2016 8:10 PM (95 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Sun, Sep 11 2016 5:44 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Right on! Keep us posted, Robert.

Well, I played a few rounds with the RSi2 irons and the level 90 Nike balls (black). There's no doubt in my mind that with more playing time with them and with a little more talent than I have the RSi2 irons are superior to the Nike Vapor irons.

But here's the thing, I can score well enough with the Vapor irons and the Level 81 Nike balls. In fact, I still prefer the meter speed of that combination of ball + irons to any other combination, including the RSi2 irons + level 90 Nike balls. The meter on the Vapor irons is extremely smooth on the iPad. Additionally, the meter of the Vapor irons match my driver and 3 wood.

For me, I just don't see myself scoring any better with the RSi2 irons, regardless of the ball they're paired with. But let me be clear: that's my experience. I guess I have just become very comfortable with the Vapor irons, and I think I can get to Tour Legend with that combination. It'll probably take me a little over a year or so to get there, but I'm in no hurry. 

I don't know if that helps. I hope it does.  

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Sep 11 2016 10:24 PM

Robert,

You may well be right. The RSi2s and Nike blacks are on awesome combination, when you're on top of your game. But if you're just a little off, it can get nasty.

I still like them, but I rented the Max level 94 irons and then bought them. They're not as long, but the meter more nearly matches my woods and wedges, and they make for as bit more relaxing round.

I'll keep playing both, still getting the handle on the Max irons...one thing with those, the full backspin approach is not nearly what it is with the RSi2s. You find more bunkers.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, Sep 12 2016 10:36 AM

Robert1893:

SimonTheBeetle:
    Right on! Keep us posted, Robert.

Well, I played a few rounds with the RSi2 irons and the level 90 Nike balls (black). There's no doubt in my mind that with more playing time with them and with a little more talent than I have the RSi2 irons are superior to the Nike Vapor irons.

But here's the thing, I can score well enough with the Vapor irons and the Level 81 Nike balls. In fact, I still prefer the meter speed of that combination of ball + irons to any other combination, including the RSi2 irons + level 90 Nike balls. The meter on the Vapor irons is extremely smooth on the iPad. Additionally, the meter of the Vapor irons match my driver and 3 wood.

For me, I just don't see myself scoring any better with the RSi2 irons, regardless of the ball they're paired with. But let me be clear: that's my experience. I guess I have just become very comfortable with the Vapor irons, and I think I can get to Tour Legend with that combination. It'll probably take me a little over a year or so to get there, but I'm in no hurry. 

I don't know if that helps. I hope it does.  

Sure it helps a great deal! Thanks for the experiment and comments, Robert. I have a presentiment that I will feel the same way with RSi2 irons if I purchase them.

Anyway, I told one of my colleagues at work about this today and he said : "It's like marriage, Simon. Getting married or not, you will regret it either way. If I were you, I'd get married and regret. LOL" I guess he's got a point there.

I'm still thinking though...

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, Sep 12 2016 10:43 AM

K7JBQ:
    The RSi2s and Nike blacks are on awesome combination, when you're on top of your game. But if you're just a little off, it can get nasty.

I guess this is the essence of the equipment in question.

I'm hardly ever on top of my game. LOL

Very good point, K7JBQ.

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Mon, Sep 12 2016 10:59 AM

SimonTheBeetle:

Try your current clubs with the Nike 20XI-X RZN Balls (L81+) balls. I just sent you a sleeve.

Enjoy! 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, Sep 12 2016 11:11 AM

Solarflares:

The whole point of the R15 set is that spin can now be used sparingly.

/.../

Full power and full backspin should be completely removed from your game for anyone wishing to progress.

See?... I don't get this.

The main reason why I'm considering RSi2 is because of its superior spin rate (its ability to bite better on the green).

If full backspin is a taboo with RSi2, what's the point of having them?! Wait, is it like RSi2 even with 50% BS bites better than Vapor with FBS for example?

And if you can't use full power, the advantage of having better distance is gone, too.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Mon, Sep 12 2016 11:23 AM

Robert1893:

SimonTheBeetle:

Try your current clubs with the Nike 20XI-X RZN Balls (L81+) balls. I just sent you a sleeve.

Enjoy! 

I just sent you a message to your mailbox.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. :-)

RSS