Forums

Help › Forums

Iron Upgrade from NIKE Vapor Fly Pro (L85) to TaylorMade RSi2 (L90) - Is it worth it?

Sun, Oct 9 2016 8:10 PM (95 replies)
  • K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 6:11 PM

Robert1893:

AussieMick11:
    I'm also a mobile player (iPhone 6 plus) and am currently using the L85 Nike irons (not fly, the old ones). When I reached level 90 I tried the TM irons and, after seeing many other players using them with good success, I really wanted to like them. However, I could not ding them like my current irons, not matter which ball I tried, and I also found them to be less forgiving. I

I'm beginning to wonder if the RSi Level 90 irons play a bit differently on mobile devices. 

No, they play exactly the same.

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 6:41 PM

Well, over the next couple of days, if I have some time, I'll try the RSi irons again. I never sold the set back, so I still have them. 

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 6:44 PM

Well, over the next couple of days, if I have some time, I'll try the RSi irons again. I never sold the set back, so I still have them. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 2:26 AM

I have the older version, the R11 irons and I still use them from time to time. Faster meter but IMO, just as good as the level 97 Nikes. 

Like all clubs, they take time to adjust and get to know, so it is best to persevere for a while.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 7:14 AM

Jimbog1964:

Fine lines...Potentially more capable with added effort as more fickle, but in the right hands.................That 3 iron with more fizz too is worth that extra shot here and there.  See you are using a starter ball though??  Not really going to exploit the difference enough with that set up IMO even with all the added effort learning a really top line set........JMO  (EDIT: more added effort learning with a top line ball...........).

Hi Jim,

I usually use NIKE 20XI-X Balls (L71+) these days. The reason why you see me having Starter Balls is because I reset to them before playing the mini games at TopGolf driving range.

I haven't used NIKE Black Balls yet (They're simply too expensive for my budget. :-(), but I'm thinking about giving it a try after reading Solarflares' and your posts.

Thanks for always stopping by and leaving your opinions, Jim.

Good hitting and cheers!

Simon

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 7:22 AM

lonniescott711:

Like I said you will be awhile getting to L97+ :-)

I thought you meant awhile like 8-9 months, not awhiiiiiile like 21 months, Scott.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 7:29 AM

alanti:
    Like all clubs, they take time to adjust and get to know, so it is best to persevere for a while.

Nobody can hardly argue with this statement. Thanks, alanti.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 9:28 AM

As someone who is going to be level 90 soon, thank you for creating this thread. 

Everyone else replied super fast, normally takes a week minimum to get a three page thread given how dead this forum is. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 10:28 AM

Solarflares:

Didn't use the Fly's for long enough really on rental , but I will say that there is something not quite right with them.    Compared to the V-forge there is a small trade-off on the fly with  meter speed versus distance/accuracy.  Only a minute one , but the forgiveness has a different forgiveness curve/dynamic - and presents , for me , an iron with a very spongy feel.  Almost synthetic even.

With the 81+ ball they should still be enjoyable , but , for the L90 ball users - the V-forge exploited those very well with great versatility.  The Fly's cannot quite match them , and the learning-curve is , well just weird.

The RSi2's will take that L90 ball and totally exploit it. I mean totally.    You won't need full backspin anymore and shots can be played with surgical-precision - to utter delight as the 3i stops yet again on a sixpence , when you need it.

So to answer properly , I'd say that with your present ball - the RSi2's would be quite a fast meter , and you would be wise to buy the driver and 3 wood (R15's) to match.   A slower ball helps loads , and if you can zone-in then they are almost faultless - then your only problem is adjusting to the clevelands 3.5 meter on wedge shots.

So , for me it's the RSi2's with a L90+black

It's weird. When I check replies, I don't get to see yours, but then boom! it's posted up there out of sudden which makes it omitted from my reply list.

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised that there is that much of a difference between VR Forged and Vapor Fly Pro. According to your experience, the Fly's are inferior to the old V-forges then! Hmmm...

The combination of RSi2 + RZN Black Ball sounds very tempting.

Great descriptions with full details, SF! I truly appreciate them. :-)

RSS