Forums

Help › Forums

Iron Upgrade from NIKE Vapor Fly Pro (L85) to TaylorMade RSi2 (L90) - Is it worth it?

Sun, Oct 9 2016 8:10 PM (95 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 9:08 AM

Robert1893:

it will take you approximately 1.75 years to get to Level 97. That's assuming that your maxing out your daily XP points for consecutive days played.

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 9:19 AM

@Simon

I hear you! ;-) 

• AussieMick11
    1,275 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 9:27 AM

Hey Simon and everyone else,

I'm also a mobile player (iPhone 6 plus) and am currently using the L85 Nike irons (not fly, the old ones). When I reached level 90 I tried the TM irons and, after seeing many other players using them with good success, I really wanted to like them. However, I could not ding them like my current irons, not matter which ball I tried, and I also found them to be less forgiving. I agree that it is important to keep meter consistency with all your clubs, the game is hard enough without dealing with different meter speeds, and I believe I've found the best fit for me at my level with my current equipment. That's really what it comes down to; what fits you best. I believe that's the key to shooting good scores. Good luck and happy golfing!

Cheers,
    Mick 

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 11:07 AM

AussieMick11:
    I'm also a mobile player (iPhone 6 plus) and am currently using the L85 Nike irons (not fly, the old ones). When I reached level 90 I tried the TM irons and, after seeing many other players using them with good success, I really wanted to like them. However, I could not ding them like my current irons, not matter which ball I tried, and I also found them to be less forgiving. I

I'm beginning to wonder if the RSi Level 90 irons play a bit differently on mobile devices. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 11:15 AM

Hi Mick,

Man... you're a champ using that old NIKE VR Forged Iron Set?! Boy, you really gotta know how to hit that thing with them!

Actually, that was the iron set I bought myself as soon as I reached L85 and exactly 3 days later, WGT introduced the new Fly iron set! LOL

I totally agree to what you said about keeping meter consistency with all clubs and that's why if I ever upgrade my irons, I will buy the whole TaylorMade R15 Full Set. But then, it will be, in fact, a downgrade for driver* and 3-wood. See the dilemma here?... (* I don't think that extra 3 yds will be a dramatic game changer. Moreover, I'd rather have more forgiveness than precision, plus slower meter.)

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience with TaylorMade RSi2 irons and wish you all the best. :-)

Regards,

Simon

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 11:24 AM

Robert1893:
    I'm beginning to wonder if the RSi Level 90 irons play a bit differently on mobile devices. 

I'm glad I asked it first before rushing to the proshop.

• AussieMick11
    1,275 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 11:29 AM

Robert1893:

I've wondered the same thing, Robert. But since I never play on the PC I cannot say for sure. 

Simon, thanks a lot for your kind words mate. I gladly accepted your friend invite and hope to get out on the course with you soon.

Cheers,
    Mick 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,524 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 12:21 PM

Solarflares:

Get to learn the V-forges fully with a L90 ball before upgrading to a 3.0 meter speed.

Biggest mistake at L90 is to change clubs without trying the better balls available.

If you can ding - then the L85 clubs are awesome with a Nike Black.

I totally missed your reply, SF. You must have posted while I was writing my first reply for others. Sorry about that.

NIKE VR Forged Iron Set (L85+) is no longer available and replaced by NIKE Vapor Fly Pro which is the main topic here. So mastering the V-forges fully with a L90 ball is unfortunately not possible now.

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro Iron Set (L85+) is also awesome even with NIKE 20XI-X Balls (L71+) that I usually use nowadays.

I just wanted to know if TaylorMade RSi2 would be even better overall under the same given conditions basically...

Cheers,

Simon

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 1:15 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    I just wanted to know if TaylorMade RSi2 would be even better overall under the same given conditions basically...

Fine lines...Potentially more capable with added effort as more fickle, but in the right hands.................That 3 iron with more fizz too is worth that extra shot here and there.  See you are using a starter ball though??  Not really going to exploit the difference enough with that set up IMO even with all the added effort learning a really top line set........JMO  (EDIT: more added effort learning with a top line ball...........).

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 4:07 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

Robert1893:

it will take you approximately 1.75 years to get to Level 97. That's assuming that your maxing out your daily XP points for consecutive days played.

Like I said you will be awhile getting to L97+ :-)

RSS