Forums

Help › Forums

Jumpy meter and stuttering screen

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 1 2024 1:51 PM (20 replies)
  • Maestrobertsch
    570 Posts
    Mon, Apr 13 2015 9:40 AM

I have used several browsers: Safari, Firefox, Chrome, Opera. They have each had good times and bad times. For the last several months I've had the best results with Firefox, but it remains very inconsistent. It's gotten to the point that I birdie almost every hole for which I have a smooth meter. When the unexpected stutter or inconsistent meter speed happens, par seems to be a victory.

Interesting what suggest about full vs normal screen. I have had better results with full screen. I must say that I find WGT's apparent inability to rectify this ongoing issue very disappointing.

• JLeary1
    416 Posts
    Mon, Apr 27 2015 2:49 PM

DanManCan,

if it helps at all, I have found that the jerky / stuttering meter issue seems to be often related to network speed / wgt network speed / your network speed.

Why I say that is that I can have a great meter in game for the first 6 or 7 holes, and then the next lot of holes the meter goes bad.. For me it seems to be worst around 3am - 6am my time, and also pretty bad from 7pm - 10pm, my time. Usually I almost always get a good consistent meter late mornings to early arvos (eg 9am - 5pm)..

My computer resource usage doesn't really change much, have a lot of RAM and CPU headroom at all times when playing WGT as I play it with only one window open (in maxthon), and no other open programs, and most if not all non-essential background processes disabled / turned off..

If it helps, I've just accepted that occasional periods of a glitchy meter is just the way it is with WGT. Spent ages trying every suggestion and every flash and browser combination, to no avail. Fortunately the glitches only occur for me less than 10% of the time and I can live with that..

All that being said, computer power and browsers / flash etc may make a difference. But if you have a combo that works for you, just not all the time, then it may well be network or server congestion at WGT's end. That, we can't change, and I suspect given the large number of players, WGT isn't likely to change either..

Hope that helps.

• gherkinhead1
    245 Posts
    Mon, Apr 27 2015 2:55 PM

Is it possible that WGT purposely do this to make the game more realistic?   (ie - in real golf / sport there are times when we all have the jitters/yips)

• JLeary1
    416 Posts
    Mon, Apr 27 2015 3:33 PM

gherkinhead1:

Is it possible that WGT purposely do this to make the game more realistic?   (ie - in real golf / sport there are times when we all have the jitters/yips)

Maybe not so much programmed into the game IMO, but certainly WGT allow it. My contention is that given that the code is relatively deterministic (except for the random seeds etc used for club accuracy, wind variations etc etc) then meter glitches would have a tendency towards consistency. However, meter glitches seem to have a "mind of their own", which makes me think that the vagaries of network speeds and server demands are more likely their culprit.

However, you are right: it makes the game more realistic for sure. I believe WGT allow meter glitches and do not provide massive server capacity upgrades, for more "random" and "realistic" game-play. It is also well known that in gambling, it is far more addictive for players to have many bad spins on a poker machine and only a very occasional win. The same logic here: if there were never any glitches, we'd all potentially shoot such low and consistent scores that the game would become boring, and we'd stop playing. At least in my case I know that the biggest barrier to me winning far more often are meter glitches..

• timmyers
    4 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2019 7:19 AM

Why does my swing meter stutter?

The meter performance is affected by a multitude of variables and affects every player differently due to their location, internet service provider, computer, what is installed on the computer and the settings on the computer/ browser. We are working on several solutions which will make the meter more consistent or perform smoother in more conditions but we do not have a simple or catchall solution that we can release. We do and will continue to seek solutions. But to be clear WGT does not have any control to vary the meters performance by time, type of game, round or stroke. We cannot target an individual nor a specific stroke. If the meter is performing better or worse at a particular moment it is probably due to congestion between the server and your machine or the current CPU and RAM utilization on your computer. We have found that most of the issues have to do with the amount of RAM you have and the CPU performance of your system. Running streaming music/video, iTunes, anti-virus scans, etc. will noticeably degrade the performance of the meter.

• Panafax
    1 Posts
    Sun, Mar 31 2024 6:01 AM

Hi, I'm recently new to the game but have been playing quite a lot to get better at the game, I have just experienced this meter stuttering and jerky screen tonight, I have an average of 83, by 12th hole in Bear Trap Tournament I was 22 over, Yep! that's right, 22 over, I abandoned the game at that point, Unplayable, I came on here to see if there was a fix but apparently not, bugger!, 

Cheers,

Panafax

• SamSpayed
    4,910 Posts
    Mon, Apr 1 2024 10:03 AM

Panafax:
    I have just experienced this meter stuttering and jerky screen tonight, I have an average of 83, by 12th hole in Bear Trap Tournament I was 22 over, Yep! that's right, 22 over, I abandoned the game at that point, Unplayable, I came on here to see if there was a fix but apparently not, bugger!

Try closing down any other games or apps you have running in the background besides WGT, including your browser.  If you have a browser open, especially with several open tabs, that could be the culprit.  Many sites, especially news sites, refresh themselves periodically, which chews up resources. 

I also notice meter jumps myself quite frequently when I have other games (like slots games I play via the Bluestacks app) running in the background.  After I close those apps, my meter is much smoother.

Hope this helps.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,520 Posts
    Mon, Apr 1 2024 11:27 AM

+1 to Sam

In my case with my device, streaming or recording on OBS also causes horrible meter jumping and stuttering occasionally.

• Yiannis1970
    3,271 Posts
    Mon, Apr 1 2024 12:02 PM

Panafax:

Hi, I'm recently new to the game but have been playing quite a lot to get better at the game, I have just experienced this meter stuttering and jerky screen tonight, I have an average of 83, by 12th hole in Bear Trap Tournament I was 22 over, Yep! that's right, 22 over, I abandoned the game at that point, Unplayable, I came on here to see if there was a fix but apparently not, bugger!, 

Cheers,

Panafax

Can you tell us first the specs of your system, cpu, gpu, ram?

Are you a desktop player or a laptop player? If you are the former, name the brand/model of your monitor.

Then we can help i hope.

• Yiannis1970
    3,271 Posts
    Mon, Apr 1 2024 12:04 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

+1 to Sam

In my case with my device, streaming or recording on OBS also causes horrible meter jumping and stuttering occasionally.

You need upgrade my friend Simon!

:)

RSS