Forums

Help › Forums

A way to know

Sat, Aug 16 2014 12:58 PM (28 replies)
  • stevepsheehan
    2,791 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 5:07 AM

pdb1:

Lol Check for yourself . Im sure those messages are still sitting on my members walls .

Unfortunately, a lot of players only ever go direct to the Game Client, and not to any other page on WGT, so never know they have messages, or wall posts - something I hope will be addressed soon...fingers crossed ;-)

We, UK Golfers Eliteare a relatively small CC, currently 92 members I think, but nearly all play, and nearly all are regular contributors to the CC forum.

What we have found to work, is NOT to have an "open door" policy for new members. If someone wants to join us, they have to seek us out, read the CC message about applying for membership, send me a friend request, and reply to my messages to them. Then, and only then, do they get an invite to join. We then expect them to make an initial post on the forum to introduce themselves.

We have found that those that make it through this process are generally "good" CC members, and they then get fully involved. The odd one or two do fall by the wayside, and they do get removed, but it's not a major problem.

I'm not saying this approach is right for every CC, but it works for us :-)

Steve

• JDShoemaker
    209 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 12:19 PM

Hmmmm  I have turned down several CC invites, generally because I dont see the advantage to joining one.  Send me an invite to ur CC and I will take a look at it

JDS

• Steven1163
    2,912 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 2:19 PM

pdb1:

Steven1163:
    that's a big step back in non members eyes

I don't even know what that means . Who or what is a non member and what do they have to do with it . My members , soon to be non members probably wont even notice . They all have had fair warning .

My active members ,few that they are , seem very happy with the way things are going .

Steven1163:
      If you demand all your players to play in a couple tourneys a month or they have to leave, they'll leave, and then once again you have to search out players who can and are active.

I have never demanded anything . I have politely messaged each member individually several times each (times 62 )( yes 1 at a time on their individual walls )( so that I know that each one will eventually see it) That it would be nice if they could try and participate in 1 tournament per month so I can have an idea what the active roster is doing. If they have any questions feel free to message me . If you cannot seem to play or respond at all I will have to remove you as a member . Thanx Paul

Something to that effect probably 4 times now .

So Ive done more than I should have had to . I'm done

Sorry, I wasn't implying you were demanding.  U can only do so much to get players to playing the tourneys.  What I try and do..or should I say my Tournament Director...is to make tourneys strictly for the lower tiered players to get them involved.  Plus, we are starting a handicap system so that the lower tiered players don't feel like they don't have a chance against upper tiered players.  If you haven't tried this, that maybe and idea that could help you.

~Steven~

• bobby58lucas
    163 Posts
    Fri, Aug 15 2014 2:22 PM

I inherited a CC in April we have a 50 membership cut line . since April i have worked hard on setting up a website with leagues,tourneys,order of merit and all the usual stuff that most players would like to be part of in a CC.I have been busy scouring around trying to recruit the right active players to join, and a lot have come and gone since then. Inactivity is the hardest part about running a CC, because without active members you have no CC, I read a comment earlier about players going straight to game client and not bothering with the in between part, which in my case is the hard work of a website with all the trimmings.. i put a post on website homepage last week , with a link to my e mail asking if every member which visited the website could post a reply so i could gauge the amount of players that actually took the time and effort to even visit the website which i have worked tirelessly on to update points and create tourneys and get people involved with the club.  i got 10 out of 50 replies which i suppose in a percentage term is 20% . not bad but not good. I do not think it is out of ignorance with most people i just think we need to get some kind of better communication rather than send a message which most people wont even open …MY POINT IS THIS .I wonder if WGT could post some kind of alert to a member ( a flashing screen or some kind of interference ) so members know that they have an unread message waiting. 

RSS