Help › Forums

Ball Retriever

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 12 2014 11:24 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Rocko33
    41 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 3:29 PM

we need a ball retriever for the water/OB so we get our balls back.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 8:58 PM

Rocko33:

we need a ball retriever for the water/OB so we get our balls back.

its called a pro shop lol :)

• JDShoemaker
    209 Posts
    Sat, Aug 9 2014 9:29 PM

Do U REALLY think WGT is gonna introduce a ball retriever!  Dude that is thier main source of $$$$

• TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 2:35 AM

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 2:57 AM

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 3:32 AM

I've always been in favour of a ball retriever but when you think about it, how exactly would it work?  Would every ball hit into water be retrievable?  This would be very unrealistic.   I agree that when you drop one in the Swilcan Burn it's kinda stupid you can't just fish it out again but where would the line be drawn?

And you have to offset this against the fact that no matter how heavy the rough you may go into is, you very rarely fail to find the ball again.

At the end of the day a lost ball equals another sale for WGT and that's the name of the game.

• jockyburns
    13 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 6:04 AM

Would be a great idea. on a real course, I wouldn't want to lose a ProV1 ball any more than the next player. To emulate real life a ball retriever sounds like a great idea. (perhaps we could purchase a net to tie on the end of our driver) :D :D :D 

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 10:51 AM

We can't manipulate movement  of our avatars so we couldn't use a ball retriever.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 12:58 PM

JDShoemaker:

Do U REALLY think WGT is gonna introduce a ball retriever!  Dude that is thier main source of $$

No, but if it was setup like the shot/putter pal from the proshop, they could sell it like an insurance policy. So, say you lose a ball that still has over 75% of it's life left, you could use the insurance policy and if the ball only had 25% left you may not want to use the policy. That would generate some revenue for them and give the players a chance to get their ball back.

I use the "rock" so I won't be needing the insurance policy.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 1:25 PM

MainzMan:

I've always been in favour of a ball retriever but when you think about it, how exactly would it work?  Would every ball hit into water be retrievable?  This would be very unrealistic.   I agree that when you drop one in the Swilcan Burn it's kinda stupid you can't just fish it out again but where would the line be drawn?

And you have to offset this against the fact that no matter how heavy the rough you may go into is, you very rarely fail to find the ball again.

At the end of the day a lost ball equals another sale for WGT and that's the name of the game.

I agree with MM here, in theory a good idea, in practice in this game, it becomes too hard to implement. Perhaps there are a few holes this could be implemented, but overall, unless the ball trickles into a stream, it is not going to be retrievable anyway. And how would the program deem this? (and hey, we get a ball trickle into a bunker and still get a 40-50% lie lol).

The one area I have said in the past is "lost balls". Often when you hit the ball badly in real golf, especially on championship courses, the rough is unforgiving and you will lose your ball. Unlike pros with cameras and galleries watching, we just lose a ball and hopefully, have played a provisional just in case. But when searching you will often find a ball or two to soften the blow of your stroke and distance penalty.

And for those saying that you would find your ball, unlikely. On a course like St A's you might see your ball but will be in gorse - and unless you have a Kevlar suit - it is lost for all intents and purposes.

So I am in favour of getting a random ball (make and life) in lieu of the lost ball. In all fairness, I cannot recall I had the lost ball message, so will not cost WGT much.

The point of no avatar movement is not relevant IMO. If a retriever (or lost ball scenario)was used all it would need is a message on the screen - we do not need cartoon like animations. After all on a lost ball, you do not see your avatar walk up, search and then return to where the last shot was played.

• PAGES
RSS