Re: "Shots Are Rigged? Yes? No?"

rated by 0 users
Thu, Oct 3 2013 1:27 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • irishbadboyjt
    2 Posts
    Tue, Oct 1 2013 8:12 PM

I recently posted the following:

I am seeing  major problem - I shoot just about the same all of the time, however, it seems that on some holes, when I putt, the ball should definitely go in, and yet, it does not. Does anyone know anything about this, and thoughts, or is it just me?"

I did not realize that the post would receive so many responses. The unfortunate part is that it was a simple question which received a great amount of responses, most of which clearly came from some astoundingly ignorant people from around the world, and only a small few that were helpful with a somewhat polite answer or thought.

In the end, I do understand that it is a game, I also understand it is one of very few games that I actually contributed money towards, and in that sense, as a consumer, I have every right to be concerned if something does not seem right.

This being called a "Community" is a little misleading. Thank God that this "Community" is not relevant to real life communities or neighborhoods, otherwise I would find myself consistently walking into stupid people.

As to those that offered an honest, helpful thought or answer, thank you. I now know to take the game for what it is worth; something to enjoy only to pass time, and there is no need for me to further invest any more money.

For those ignorant people, take a break and go look in the mirror - if you treated me this way, how many others do you treat the same? I a not perfect in any way, however, I still respect others no matter what. Hope everyone has a great day, wherever you are.

JT

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 12:09 AM

irishbadboyjt:
    shoot just about the same all of the time, however, it seems that on some holes, when I putt, the ball should definitely go in, and yet, it does not.

Ok, this game can be frustrating and it takes a long time to attempt to master. Put simply no two shots are exactly the same, just as in real golf. Results will vary depending on the precision and forgiveness of your clubs and sometimes due to manipulation (yes a well known fact and simulates real golf).

I am an avid golfer and used to be reasonably good, the amount of times I "nailed" a shot expecting to be close.only to be twenty yards long is too numerous - so welcome to WGT (so I suppose my answer is NO, it is not rigged).

One thing I have learnt is the game is very consistent, (barring the odd wtf moment) especially on the greens - but ONLY after you have learnt the game and most of its aspects. As you have only been here one month there is no way you could fully understand this, especially when playing with lower level clubs (personally I used starters for a year untilI made master). I am not trying to deride you, but how many tips, guides and notes have you taken?

Finally I will say, this "community" can be very generous, supporting and helpful, but you need to understand that the conspiracy theorists have been around for as long as the game, usually because they have not put the effort into actually fully learning the game - and is invariably the same people every time. The people are treated with disdain and rightfully so IMO. 

As I said earlier, there is some variation but 95% of the time if I carefully look at what happened, I was the one at fault - and I will take ownership.

I do not play for credits, just for fun, and for me it is the best golf game around, by far.

Edit: I just played Kiawah (a course I usually avoid due to some of the green mapping) and had three lip outs in 9 holes. Was this WGT or me? Sadly me, just putting the ball marginally to hard

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 12:20 AM

irishbadboyjt:
    or is it just me?"

+1 to Alanti

And it is just you.  

Ask for help and read threads and you will learn

irishbadboyjt:
    Thank God that this "Community" is not relevant to real life communities or neighborhoods, otherwise I would find myself consistently walking into stupid people.

Great way to ask for help

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 2:02 AM

Questions about the game being rigged to stop people scoring well always get strong responses, both for and against.  There are many, myself included, who believe some deviation is perfectly acceptable.  You line the putt up perfectly, get the distance just right, hit the ding but miss to the side because you didn't notice a spike mark close to the hole or the impression of a putter head where someone used their putter as a support as they retrieved their ball. 

There are so many things that influence the roll of the ball in real life.  Which direction is the sun shining from?  (Please don't say above!)  In which direction did the green keeper last cut the grass?   WGT cannot simulate any of these things so some deviation is built into the game. There's the obvious one that comes from the precision of a club but there's also the other, hidden, deviation that effects almost every shot we play.  And not always for the worse.  Haven't you ever hit a putt and missed the ding only to find it dropped in anyway?  I know I have many times.  This is deviation working in your favour but you'll probably never see anyone write a thread about it.

Then you get those players who think the greens should let the ball roll like you're playing on a billiards table and that you never get bad bounces or duff shots in real life.  Some are quite moderate in their responses.  Others are plainly insane.  Thing is, if you check the stats of those who are the most outspoken in their beliefs that WGT are the biggest bandits since Ronnie Biggs you'll generally find they're just not very good at the game.

A certain plumber comes straight to mind.

Stick with it, this really is a great game.  It takes a long time to get to know all it's nuances but it's well worth doing.

• Nikoshi365
    1,521 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 2:35 AM

I cannot state if the game is rigged or not, but some variation is definitely built in

I found this out in so much by playing several of the NO WIND tournaments. I used the same ball and the same club on Bethpage Black Hole 3

Its a relatively easy hole so my 3 wood with full power and full back spin should do the trick.

And now the WGT game variation part. NO WIND WHATSOEVER, all the above parameters in place, perfect ding and it finished 3 yds 9ft from the hole and to the right but level with the hole

I played a round again and all the same as above, perfect ding and this time it landed 3yds past the flag but flight was straight

I played once more and got a flight path to the left and 2 yds left of pin

I could go on and on but will not, not even with the same parameters, and a perfect ding, no shot was ever the same, thus I believe showing that WGT has a percentage deviation built into every shot to keep up the reality and closeness to real golf

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 9:39 AM

irishbadboyjt:
    I did not realize that the post would receive so many responses. The unfortunate part is that it was a simple question which received a great amount of responses, most of which clearly came from some astoundingly ignorant people from around the world

The truth is, most people everywhere, almost all, are stupid, ignorant and ugly. That is the way of it. Thankfully, as in real golf, wgt has included a "rub of the green"  feature that adds realism to our game.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 10:10 AM

SweetiePie:
    The truth is, most people everywhere, almost all, are stupid, ignorant and ugly

You got me pegged!

The reason the OP elicited such responses is simple. Most posters have been around the WGT block a few times. If you had asked a question, 'why when I do x+y I get z?' you would have received lots of help and advice.Too many people play this game for 3 minutes then start saying things like, 'the physics don't work, the rough is impossible, the putts never drop', blah blah blah. These people don't know the game, or their own game well enough to critisize WGT. Add in all the tin foil hat ' I'm being specifically targeted by WGT' brigade and it comes as no surprise that he was treated with derision by some.

Try a post saying, 'can someone please help me with...'  You will get nothing but help.

Paul signing out, Shazbut Nanoo Nanoo.

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 10:19 AM

Well said, alanti. That is a brilliant reply, you've said it all.

I think if irish is looking for attention then he's got it. These posts always get a lot of replies.  If I had a pound or dollar for everybody who complains about the game, I would be very rich.

If irish spent more time playing the game rather than complaining and insulting the community, he might just get better and see how enjoyable WGT is.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 10:29 AM

JasonNumber100:
    Well said, alanti. That is a brilliant reply, you've said it all.

I should read more...lol.

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 10:55 AM

Good reply too, Paul.

I was writing my reply when you must have posted yours. I never saw your reply until I had posted mine, but what you said is so true.

• PAGES
RSS