Forums

Help › Forums

Putting elevation (legend greens) guide.

Sat, Apr 6 2013 8:02 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 3:44 PM

This is the way i putt and i have been scoring many good rounds on these damn fast greens.

I am playing a game on legend greens.
    I am having a 50ft putt where there is 2ft elevation that goes up.
    I know that 1ft up elevation is 12 inches.
    I am gonna add the elevation (2ft=24inches) to the putt distance.
    The putt i am about to make is 50ft and 74ft with the elevation added.
    I now think the putt as being a 74ft flat putt and take my shot that way.
    I compensate for the legend greenspeed (remove around 25-30%) and hit the ball around 42-45ft on the 50ft meter.

I use the MAX putter with 10/20/30/40/60/80/100 increments. I also use putterpal so i always can find the exact spot that i need. This guide works perfect for me on any uphill putt between 25-100 feet. 

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 3:54 PM

2 feet up = 24 inches when I went to school.

• jeffc46221
    621 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 4:02 PM

TheTigerEye:

This is the way i putt and i have been scoring many good rounds on these damn fast greens.

I am playing a game on legend greens.
    I am having a 50ft putt where there is 2ft elevation that goes up.
    I know that 1ft up elevation is 12 inches.
    I am gonna add the elevation (2ft=12inches) to the putt distance.
    The putt i am about to make is 50ft and 62ft with the elevation added.
    I now think the putt as being a 62ft flat putt and take my shot that way.
    I compensate for the legend greenspeed and hit the ball around 45ft on the 50ft meter.

Can i get a translation on some of this stuff. I thought 12+12=24 but im not the brightest crayon in the box. 

• TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 4:41 PM

mnshiner:

2 feet up = 24 inches when I went to school.

has been edited, my bad.

• TheTigerEye
    259 Posts
    Thu, Apr 4 2013 4:42 PM

jeffc46221:

Can i get a translation on some of this stuff. I thought 12+12=24 but im not the brightest crayon in the box. 

has been edited, my bad.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 12:40 AM

Good for uphill putts but not downhill. on Legend greens.

50 ft length & 24 in downhill substracts to 26 ft. I pull off some more, in this case perhaps 5 or 6 => 20 ft on the Legend green scale.

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 1:39 AM

I always taken off 25% for up hill putts and 33% for downhill on legend green

50 feet plus 2 feet up I say 52/ 4 I hit it 39. Go down I say 52/3 I hit him 36

I do harder for uphill you can be firmer.  50 foot putt I just go for close enough to put in 2nd putt if he drop down it are a bonus

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 4:17 AM

alosso:

Good for uphill putts but not downhill. on Legend greens.

50 ft length & 24 in downhill substracts to 26 ft. I pull off some more, in this case perhaps 5 or 6 => 20 ft on the Legend green scale.

kilbraur:

I always taken off 25% for up hill putts and 33% for downhill on legend green

50 feet plus 2 feet up I say 52/ 4 I hit it 39. Go down I say 52/3 I hit him 36

I do harder for uphill you can be firmer.  50 foot putt I just go for close enough to put in 2nd putt if he drop down it are a bonus

I use to do my calculations similar to yours but my distance control on the longer uphill and down hill putts was not as good as I wanted. About 2 months ago I started deducting 25% from both uphill and downhill putts before deducting or adding the elevation. Since then my distance control on both longer uphill and downhill putts has improved immensely.

For a 50 foot putt 24 uphill I would deduct 25% giving 37.5 and adding 24 would give me 61.5 300 foot meter 20% would get me within a foot or 2 and might even drop. The old way would have given me 55.5 and I would have come up way short.

In alosso's example he shows right at 20 feet. Which is similar to what my old way would have given me. 19.5. My new way I get 13.5 The old way I would have been well past the new way I get very close. My reasoning was that the elevation does not change it is a constant and should not be used until after the distance has been calculated.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 7:42 AM

Interesting thought!

How would you continue with the results, say 61.5 or 13.5 - do you apply the speed correction then or has it been done before, in those 25%?

Or, the other way round, would said 61.5 be just too long for a 60 ft putting scale or rather 75% of it?

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Apr 5 2013 9:01 AM

I agree with almost all of the advice here but there are a few exceptions to the uphill/downhill rule.  Uphill putts on Oakmont spring to mind.   In my experience, if you have a 10 foot putt that's 2 inch uphill it's best to hit it about 14 feet, even on tourney greens.   Downhillers on Oak need a very gentle touch, straight uphillers need to be whacked.  The rises and falls at Olympic just seem plain wrong to me, most uphill putts need hitting way harder than you think, the downhill ones a lot softer.  I suppose Oakmont could also be wrongly mapped, I like the course though so give it the benefit of the doubt.  Unlike Olympic.

I don't use any sort of distance % calculation for any of my shots to be honest, I play purely by feel and experience.  I could tell you I played a particular shot about 1/4 inch less than full power but would have no idea what percentage that was.  I use a formula for cross wind which I will also use to add or subtract power from a shot if it's a head or tail wind but applying that to the meter is purely feel.

• PAGES
RSS