Help › Forums

Re: Wedge distance

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 1 2022 10:53 AM (34 replies)
  • HamdenPro
    2,415 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2021 2:44 PM

Cicero733:
    I have all my wedges mapped for 100% - 90% full power, punch distances, full shots from the various sand percentages, pitch distances, flop distances for 100% - 75% power from fairway, flop distances for 25/30, 30/40, 40/50 rough situations, flop distances from the 3 major sand percentages, and probably a few more, like someplace I have mappings for 50/60% and 60/70% brush, and I have several formulae for hitting wedge shots in the 83% to 89% power ranges

EDIT:  Find Scott?

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2021 2:53 PM

Naw…just something I wanted to do since I had the time to do it.

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2021 3:12 PM

Cicero733:
    So yes, I agree with you also on the need for mapping. But when starting out and having no idea how hard to hit a 64° wedge to produce a distance of 51 yds, I think the basic formula can fit the bill. I think once that concept is understood a new player will instinctively understand the benefit of the wedges and will begin to develop his/her own mapping technique.

I agree, it's a good starting point.  Hit, observe, adjust the numbers, and repeat.

Cicero733:
    I also have angular offset mappings for full and 3/4% full beer cans when placed in the cart beverage holder when the cart is parked on less than level surfaces (this one is not complete as there are subtle differences between the resulting angles in the driver’s side versus the passenger side; still needs some work and is proprietary).

Always good to have handy 🍺 By "less than level surfaces", I assume you are referring to Uneven Lies.  If you like, I can share my beer can mappings with you for flat surfaces (Even Lies), for both 12 oz. and 16 oz. cans.  I have not found any significant difference between a can in the cart beverage holder and a can on the roof of the cart, but the numbers are slightly different between U.S. domestic and imported beers.  I am assuming this is due to the ABV difference, but this requires more research.  MUCH more research.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2021 4:27 PM

Yes uneven lies. The big issue appears to be the cart drivers themselves. Each take their own route to their next shot so I can’t get consistent measurement data and the more they consume the more erratic the route. Plus all of us involved in this study have a tendency to empty the cans before I can take a measurement. You might be on to something with ABV content. The better rated beers have a tendency to produce more erratic results as they seemed to be consumed more quickly and, as a result, I don’t have beer cans on the roof, I have players with beer cans on the roof. Maybe I should switch to something like Miller Lite or Mich Ultra. I’m trying to work a deal where we can hire a beverage cart with a beer wench who can monitor distribution and consumption. 

• SamSpayed
    4,902 Posts
    Mon, Dec 27 2021 9:50 PM

Cicero733:
    Maybe I should switch to something like Miller Lite or Mich Ultra.

It's debatable whether those are really beers, though.  If you're thinking about doing that, I'd suggest just switching to water instead, and save yourself a little $$$.

Cicero733:
    I’m trying to work a deal where we can hire a beverage cart with a beer wench who can monitor distribution and consumption. 

If your deal falls through, let me know.  I have the perfect candidate in mind 😁

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2021 5:10 AM

Gotcha…believe she would be a rather lively hostess

• HamdenPro
    2,415 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2021 5:51 AM
     Cicero733:
    I’m trying to work a deal where we can hire a beverage cart with a beer wench who can monitor distribution and consumption. 

If your deal falls through, let me know.  I have the perfect candidate in mind 😁

Cicero733:
    Gotcha…believe she would be a rather lively hostess

If you guys are planning to ask who I think you are, then you guys need two things, one of which may be difficult for the both of you....

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2021 10:00 AM

Not certain I understand - an avocado and what appears to be a can of liquid adhesive?

• HamdenPro
    2,415 Posts
    Tue, Dec 28 2021 10:08 AM

Cicero733:
    an avocado

If an avocado works for you,

then do be sure that you grow two.

Cicero733:
    what appears to be a can of liquid adhesive?

Uhmmm. I am, maybe for the first time, grasping for a reply. I think I am having difficulty because I still have a dumbfounded look on my face.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Fri, Dec 31 2021 12:46 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

Someone (I believe it was dgm***.) once posted what he called "meter grading". I just went to check his profile and see if it's still there but nope... it's gone now. :-(

I got the original author's confirmation so that I can share it now here. Hope it's helpful to anyone in need. Cheers and Happy New Year, everyone.

RSS