Forums

Help › Forums

Re: NO Play Now Option through Safari Now?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 17 2021 1:41 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2021 12:16 PM

ScottHope:

garyk49:
    The play now button is no longer the way to access the game.

It hasn't always, but it does launch the game for me now.

Scott, I think it only works that way for some (lucky?) people.  For me, using Chrome on Windows 10, it just launches a separate screen with links to download the game, like Gary said.

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2021 1:47 PM

Testing something out...

Does this link open the game for you?

https://m.wgt.com/link?mode=popup&arl=main

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2021 2:06 PM

ScottHope:

Testing something out...

Does this link open the game for you?

https://m.wgt.com/link?mode=popup&arl=main

No. Same screen (redirects to https://m.wgt.com/?utm_source=WGT_socialpost&utm_medium=postlink&utm_campaign=navplay&mode=popup) but in a different browser tab.

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2021 2:12 PM

Thanks Sam. Is your version of Chrome up to date?

• SamSpayed
    4,874 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2021 2:20 PM

Yes

Version 91.0.4472.77 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2021 2:27 PM

Same version here.

Oh well, I don't know why we see different results, but I have wiped the game off my system and reinstalled it on numerous occasions to test stuff out, so that might have something to do with, but I don't know for sure.

• WGTweb
    27 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2021 5:43 PM

The page that the Play Now button opens tries to open the app via the wgt: handler.  If the handler is working, entering wgt: in the browser address bar should ask you to open the WGT app.

Even if the handler is set up, it could be disabled in the browser...

In Chrome/Opera the setting is at chrome://settings/handlers

In Edge, the setting is at edge://settings/content/handlers

Firefox allows handlers; see about:preferences#general > Applications

To test it outside the browser, open the Windows start menu and type "run", click the Run app, type wgt: then click OK.  If it doesn't work, download & reinstall the WGT app (auto-update doesn't set the handler).

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2021 11:52 PM

Thanks for that WGTweb, that's very interesting.

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Thu, Jun 17 2021 1:41 PM

Just a little bit of extra info to add to this thing about the 'PLAY NOW' button (top left of page) not launching the game for some.

Whenever I reinstall the game, I mostly (but not always) use an old version of the WGTLauncher.msi file that I have in my downloads folder. I did a reinstall today using that old file, and then discovered that the 'PLAY NOW' button no longer launched the game, but just opened a separate window for downloading the game.

Using a newer WGTLauncher.msi file to install the game allows the 'PLAY NOW' to launch the game. As WGTweb said earlier, a new install using an up-to-date launcher will set the WGT handler do-dad in your browser.

I did a test install with the old launcher file to stop the play now button working, and then installed again with a new launcher file without uninstalling the game to see if that would work, (to save a bit of time), and it did work, allowing the play now button to fire up the game.

• PAGES
RSS