Forums

Help › Forums

Iron Upgrade from NIKE Vapor Fly Pro (L85) to TaylorMade RSi2 (L90) - Is it worth it?

Sun, Oct 9 2016 8:10 PM (95 replies)
  • SimonTheBeetle
    3,505 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 11:07 AM

Hi fellow WGT folks,

So I just reached at L90 today and was thinking about upgrading my iron set.

But honestly, I don't know... Seems like the only advantage with TaylorMade RSi2 over NIKE Vapor Fly Pro is the spin rate. Does the spin upgrade from 3.5 to 4.5 really make that much of a difference? I mean... Is it really worth giving up the slower swing-meter tempo the NIKE Vapor Fly Pro Iron Set has?

Any thoughts, tips and opinions will be highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Simon

• DAD111
    582 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 11:53 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Seems like the only advantage with TaylorMade RSi2 over NIKE Vapor Fly Pro is the spin rate.

Sorry Simon, but you may have missed the added distances?....120-225yds.

May be another consideration. Decisions, decisions.....lol...

I can say that I have them (still) but I'm presently using the NIKE Vapor Fly Pro Iron Set (L97+). The TaylorMade RSi2's are great Irons and I found them a great upgrade from the L85 Nikes. More grip on the greens was a great plus...

I'm not a great (or even good) player and don't play that often (mostly practice recently) but I'm sure many members will contribute.

Bob

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 12:17 PM

Simon keeping the speed of your clubs the same is crucial for tempo. If you are already having some trouble with the 4 speed clubs the lvl 90 irons are going to be hard to get use to. May wont to think about waiting until the lvl 90 flys that are the same speed of the irons you have now. Just a thought.

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 12:20 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

Hi fellow WGT folks,

So I just reached at L90 today and was thinking about upgrading my iron set.

But honestly, I don't know... Seems like the only advantage with TaylorMade RSi2 over NIKE Vapor Fly Pro is the spin rate. Does the spin upgrade from 3.5 to 4.5 really make that much of difference? I mean... Is it really worth giving up the slower swing-meter tempo the NIKE Vapor Fly Pro Iron Set has?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Simon

If you are happy with your game and you play well with what you have then no .But if you want to improve your game and have better chances to compete and win then yes .You will get some more yardage on your pitching wedge and spin but a faster meter .These clubs replaced the R11s irons which had a faster meter than current RSI2 so I dont know how they handle . But looking at the meter either the L11+ Srixon or L33+ Cally ball should do the trick for meter control .

These can be the last irons that you ever buy as they are the same distance wise as the top level clubs . Level 97 is a long way off and you will be awhile getting there but these will take you all the way to Champion if you want them too . Also no telling what will be waiting for you at L97+ so  it wont hurt to get them .

The spin will be a definite improvement and you will need it on the faster greens especially the sloped greens . So yes get them you wont be sorry in fact I think once you learn them you will be very happy that you did .

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Tue, Sep 6 2016 1:27 PM

SimonTheBeetle:

I actually had the old Nike L85 irons and upgraded to the RSi irons when I got to level 90. A while after that, the Nike Vapor Fly irons were introduced. I tried them on a free rental weekend and decided to downgrade from my the RSi irons to the Nike irons.

I really didn't see that much of a difference in the effect of the spin between the two sets. Now I suspect that part of that reason is I find it difficult to ding my shots. (I play on an iPad.) So I'm sure that's a factor.

I did like the distances a bit better with RSi irons. But even there, I find that the distances of the Nike irons to be generally good. The only thing I miss, at times, is having a 3 iron that goes 225 yards. The Nike 3-iron only goes 220 yards.There are a couple of holes that I could use that extra 5 yards, But then again, I also had trouble hitting that 3 iron consistently. 

As far as scoring, I probably score a touch better with the Nike irons because of the slower meter speed. Regardless, both sets are great sets of irons.

In the interests of transparency, I'm most likely in the minority on this question. My sense is that most people conclude the RSi irons to be a definite upgrade. But they really weren't for me. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,505 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 7:59 AM

First of all, many thanks for your valuable thoughts to you all!

DAD111:

Sorry Simon, but you may have missed the added distances?....120-225yds.
    The TaylorMade RSi2's are great Irons and I found them a great upgrade from the L85 Nikes. More grip on the greens was a great plus...

Ah, you're right. I instantly forgot about that extra 5 yards. But is it a real game changer? Hard to tell...
    And actually the chance of having a better bite on the greens is the main reason for me to consider the upgrade.

lonnieskinner:

Simon keeping the speed of your clubs the same is crucial for tempo. If you are already having some trouble with the 4 speed clubs the lvl 90 irons are going to be hard to get use to. May wont to think about waiting until the lvl 90 flys that are the same speed of the irons you have now. Just a thought.

YES, absolutely! That's why I'm currently using all the NIKE Vapor Fly series from driver to iron set.
    I used to play with clubs of all different swing-meter speeds and I know how mentally exhausting that is! Been there, done that.

I'm sure you meant "waiting until the lvl 97 flys". :-)
    Yeah, I thought about it too, but the thing is it's becoming a real painful grind to move up just one single level now!
    (I was stuck in L89 for more than a month.)

lonniescott711:

If you are happy with your game and you play well with what you have then no .But if you want to improve your game and have better chances to compete and win then yes .You will get some more yardage on your pitching wedge and spin but a faster meter .These clubs replaced the R11s irons which had a faster meter than current RSI2 so I dont know how they handle . But looking at the meter either the L11+ Srixon or L33+ Cally ball should do the trick for meter control .

These can be the last irons that you ever buy as they are the same distance wise as the top level clubs . Level 97 is a long way off and you will be awhile getting there but these will take you all the way to Champion if you want them too . Also no telling what will be waiting for you at L97+ so  it wont hurt to get them .

The spin will be a definite improvement and you will need it on the faster greens especially the sloped greens . So yes get them you wont be sorry in fact I think once you learn them you will be very happy that you did .

The reason why I should upgrade is very well explained, Scott.
    I will definitely take it into consideration. You da man! :-)

Robert1893:

I actually had the old Nike L85 irons and upgraded to the RSi irons when I got to level 90. A while after that, the Nike Vapor Fly irons were introduced. I tried them on a free rental weekend and decided to downgrade from my the RSi irons to the Nike irons.

I really didn't see that much of a difference in the effect of the spin between the two sets. Now I suspect that part of that reason is I find it difficult to ding my shots. (I play on an iPad.) So I'm sure that's a factor.

I did like the distances a bit better with RSi irons. But even there, I find that the distances of the Nike irons to be generally good. The only thing I miss, at times, is having a 3 iron that goes 225 yards. The Nike 3-iron only goes 220 yards.There are a couple of holes that I could use that extra 5 yards, But then again, I also had trouble hitting that 3 iron consistently.

Robert, thanks for this frank thought based on your experience!
    This is exactly what is holding me back from upgrading.
    I am a mobile player, too and I don't consider myself a great dinger, either. (Roughly around 6-7 out of 10 maybe?)
    So the chance of going through the same kind of experience like yours is pretty high, I guess.

Sigh... Dunno what to do!

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 8:13 AM

Here's a replay of a hole from a round I played last night. I think the Nike iron has pretty good stopping power on this approach (~185 yards; tournament greens). 

https://everyplay.com/videos/33604886

Granted, I'm playing Nike Level 81 balls these days. Still, match the right ball with clubs that one is comfortable with, and the results seem to be pretty good. :-) 

I ended up shooting a 28 from the back tees. I realize it's the front 9 of Pebble Beach, which is not exactly Merion. But that's a really good score for me.  

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,505 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 8:32 AM

Holy... you almost made that one in two! Shooting a 28 is always a respectful score anywhere, anytime, Robert.

Now I'm REALLY thinking about skipping TaylorMade RSi2 and waiting for the next NIKE Vapor Fly Pro at L97.

So let me ask again...

How long will it take to reach from L90 to L97 for a player like me who plays a round and half (27 holes) a day in average?

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Sep 7 2016 8:50 AM

Yes, I'm very happy with that score and shot.

If I did the calculations correctly (I have a spreadsheet set up that projects out for me the number of days it will take to get to certain levels), it will take you approximately 1.75 years to get to Level 97. That's assuming that your maxing out you're daily XP points for consecutive days played.

Caveat: I did it quickly, But I'm at level 93 and have myself projected to get to Level 97 sometime next November. 

RSS