Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Scott's tips

Fri, Apr 12 2024 12:26 PM (748 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 1:15 PM

I like to think I give a fair shot at reading all the threads. Especially those which involve members of my friend list.

But, I gotta say, all this techno-babble is making my head swim...lol

...sayin

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 1:33 PM

It's not that difficult Colin. A mask is like a stencil.

And if you have layers, think of a sheet of cellophane on top of a picture, that's two layers, you can doodle on the cellophane layer without affecting the picture layer underneath, but you can see the doodle and the picture together.

P.S. I hope you just meant the last few pages and not the whole thread.  8 )

• HamdenPro
    2,412 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 2:48 PM

ScottHope:
    It's not that difficult

Sorry Scott, you lost him at difficult...

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sat, Feb 4 2023 3:22 PM

Hehe, I'm sure Colin has more nous than he makes out.

• JEOCONNOR
    10 Posts
    Sun, Feb 5 2023 8:07 AM

Scott...I have written several times in forum to ask for help.. Shot pal and putter pal are

given by country clubs over level 4.  I lost mine a month ago, and can't get anyone to

help me get it back.  Very difficult to putt  when you have just a blank scale .  

Jim O'Connor

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Sun, Feb 5 2023 12:58 PM

JonPope0:
    What image editor did you use please Scott?

Thanks for this idea, Jon.

This video may or may not help with making a scorecard mask in GIMP.

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2023 8:57 AM

JEOCONNOR:
    Scott...I have written several times in forum to ask for help.. Shot pal and putter pal are given by country clubs over level 4.  I lost mine a month ago, and can't get anyone to help me get it back.  Very difficult to putt  when you have just a blank scale .  Jim O'Connor

Hi Jim, I think the usual advice given in this situation is to go in the game settings, turn both the shot pal and putter pal to off, save the settings, then turn them both back on, then save the settings again. Hopefully that will bring it back for you.

• JonPope0
    32 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2023 9:58 AM

I've followed your video and managed to make a mask of one scorecard in the way you describe.  Clever stuff!

I'm new to Gimp or to any other editing tool like this, I'm now struggling with how to apply the same mask to another scorecard? It's probably obvious, but I can't see how to delete the current scorecard image or overwrite it with another.

Also I'm sure very obvious, but I can't work out how to take a copy of the masked scorecard (i.e. just the gross score per hole) to paste it into an OCR tool? 

• ScottHope
    10,094 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2023 11:00 AM

Thanks Jon, I'm fairly new to GIMP too, so we're pretty much in the same boat.

You can save the mask as an image by making sure, in the layers panel, that is the only layer with it's eye icon open, then just export that as a png image to preserve its transparency.

Again in the layers panel, just select the scorecard layer and hit delete to remove it.

To import another scorecard or the mask, click on 'file' (top left corner) and select 'open as layers' then search for your required image in the search dialogue window, once clicked on, your image will be imported into the layers panel. You might need to resize it though unless all your scorecards are the same.

Once you have the scorecard and mask looking the way you want, just export the whole thing as an image to whatever directory you want, and from there you can paste it into the OCR tool.

Hope that helps.

• JonPope0
    32 Posts
    Mon, Feb 6 2023 11:36 AM

Thanks Scott, I'll give it a go.

I'm pretty sure this will be more effort than calculating the clash scores manually, but I'm enjoying the academic exercise!!

(And good news that I'm off moderation now - thanks WGT Nico)

RSS