Forums

Help › Forums

G0LD's putting formula UPDATED.

Sat, Oct 30 2021 12:38 AM (202 replies)
  • nigyrob
    92 Posts
    Sun, Mar 2 2014 3:46 AM

Fantastic info Gold

Just need to grasp this now........I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Kudos to you.

Cheers

Nige

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Sun, Mar 2 2014 8:18 AM

First, thank you very, very much for sharing this information.
    I first read this about 3 years ago when I first started playing and could not make it work for me.
    I understand what you are describing (parallel lines, 'dot' speeds) and the basic math except for this: when I look at your jpeg I see different values from those used to describe your method.
    You say " the stated distance between you and the hole: 13 feet" - I see 11 feet in your jpeg.
    Then "In this example the slope is 6 inches downwards" - I see 3 inches downward in the jpeg
    My confusion here probably pushed away from your method.
    Too many good players have testified to the accuracy of your method, could help me to understand what I am missing?

• WeidaDeNei
    298 Posts
    Tue, Mar 18 2014 3:30 PM

I use to work with Gold a bit on his method. I went a different route in the long run that works for me... BUT Gold gets the credit for setting the foundation for my success in my method. U said above that you didn't understand why his numbers were different between his calculation and what you see on screen...

I haven't even seen the jpeg but I can probably answer your question...

The SAD fact is that WGT hardly ever provides  the CORRECT info when approaching a putt. It can say 13 ft in the upper right hand corner.. That doesn't mean it is 13 ft... It could be anywhere from 13ft to 13.9ft... If you are in putt view... click and hold that blue arrow and drag it before the hole and after... You can get a good idea of exactly what the distance to the hole is. 

When i use to talk with Gold he was all about leaving putts that miss 2 ft. or so past the hole.. (Your putt NEVER has a chance to go in if it is SHORT approach.)

The downhill break explanation is just a guess but...

If he is on tourney or champ greens 3 inches downhill is more like 5 or 6... especially if it appears to keep on heading downhill after the hole.. Again WGT doesn't provide all the info. it can be anywhere from 3 to 3.9 inches downhill.. Heck could even be less because wgt takes into account slope before the ball...

With a system like Golds or My Nei Way of putting... The system will never be perfect because WGT does not provide all the information needed to be 100% correct on a putt...

Maybe one day wgt will add decimal points for putts past 10 ft. Just is silly that they don't do that...

HOPE ALL THAT RAMBLING HELPED.. I haven't visited this thread in a long time

• Ladymurf4
    498 Posts
    Thu, Apr 10 2014 1:25 PM

Hi..I am having a very difficult time with the break in putting..I would love to try your method but paragraph E has me stumped..Is there any other way of doing this equation..the part that has me stumped is how u got the product number..

Plzzz  HELP !!! 

Thank You so much for posting this..I am anxious to give it a try..

Sincerely

Ladymurf4. (Lorie) 

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Mon, Nov 24 2014 9:30 AM

hi gold I basically do this but I add them up add or subtract break  1 inch out fo every3down n opp for every 3 up but I count the square as 12 inch n works fine y is this I was told its 12 inch in putting view the grid square  can u tell me how I get same result

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Tue, Sep 22 2015 5:13 PM

Just a note from me to OP to say this is really good, I read it a few weeks back and it made no sense to me, then I spent some time trying to get a handle on putting, and its improving. I then referred back to this and it all made sense to me as my take on it is on similar lines.

The main difference are the constants -  I found dot speed and amount of break are not linear, but apart from that the methodology is the same as here. I analysed my putting and one putts are 50% for the last 80 rounds or so, so as I say its an improvement, my putting was very very average before, now its slightly better. And my average distance to pin is not great, around 16 feet, so I am not getting gimmees and tap ins all the time as you can tell.

The method is not for everyone, but it makes a lot of sense to me now and accords with what I found out on my own practising putts and breaks.

• nicholasyohe
    9 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 5:22 PM

do you have a microsoft excel sheet to calculate this?

• Lutjanid
    697 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2017 8:24 PM

The only problem  with all this is that each course and for that matter each green play differently.  They are however fairly consistent. A putt that break heaps more than you think in one round will behave the same way the next time you play it.

Same with putts that are slower and quicker than they should be, you need to play the courses a fair bit to get a handle on each green.

There is no exact yardstick for the break of the putts, it's getting the combination of speed and line right for that particular putt. They vary quite a bit. Take note of the putts that are a bit funky. This will save you shots in the long run.

RSS