High level hacks and amateurs

Fri, Mar 30 2018 5:35 AM (105 replies)
  • dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Tue, Nov 25 2014 5:42 AM

MichaelStroke:

CanineSupervisor:

LOL, Michael. Exactly.

My question is - why would a Master be playing MP against a Hack, to begin with? 

LMAO !!!

Ya got me.  When I play MPC, I give my prospective opponent a once-over.  If I'm about to play a level 90 tour pro with top SLDR and R11s, I suddenly have a connection issue.

Yep, I've never seen the issue with this - why are you playing them?

Experience here should tell you if it's BS or not. If you're playing them, then ya you deserve to lose however much they can get out of you. 

• Naugahyde
    92 Posts
    Tue, Nov 25 2014 3:46 PM

Oh well. Guess I learned my lesson. I've generally just selected MP & join game, and never had a problem with whoever showed up. Guess I've been lucky. I was just trying to find out if anyone else was having this issue.

I've only had a couple of rage-filled players here lately who would rather type the f word than make a birdie. I wasn't sure if WGT had started a new "sandbag cuss like a sailor" league or not. Maybe this is the only way some guys can get their rocks off.

I've had many more hacks and amateurs who have thanked me for just hanging around and finishing the round when I join a stroke game. Guess I know why now. Thanks much Stroke, Canine & ded for your input. I'll try to be more careful about who I play with here.

• Slaytanlc
    45 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 2:22 PM

What I have been wondering, is low tier players with awesome averages. I have seen hacks and amateurs in the 60s.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 4:31 PM

I have always believed it begins with an innocent beginning without actually reading the "Terms & Conditions". Anyone brand new will discover at once the difficult process of learning the basics as they seek improvement. They reach a point and think "well, I can break 70 now after the learning process, I think I will start a new avatar to reflect where I really am." It seems harmless. They still never read the rules and continue...with innocence. As they get cozy and better they re-up again. By then they know it is illegal but now don't care. This is how they conduct life.  ~ SP ~

• Naugahyde
    92 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 7:55 PM

SweetiePie:
    I think I will start a new avatar to reflect where I really am." It seems harmless. They still never read the rules and continue...with innocence. As they get cozy and better they re-up again. By then they know it is illegal but now don't care. This is how they conduct life.

That's true, I guess. Sad, but true. Part of the reason you come to the safeness of electronic intelligence games like this is to escape the rottenness of the real world. But then one day, you discover out that the inbred termites can find their way here, too.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Dec 31 2014 9:36 PM

Naugahyde:
    That's true, I guess. Sad, but true. Part of the reason you come to the safeness of electronic intelligence games like this is to escape the rottenness of the real world. But then one day, you discover out that the inbred termites can find their way here, too

Just build a good friends list and play the games with them. I never play Multi's now with people I don't know... unless if it's in a comp or a friend has inviting me for an alt shot game.  I just stick to the friends I already have.

-Roger

• DavStan
    255 Posts
    Thu, Jan 1 2015 6:43 PM

Just something I would like to point out, about new players whom seem to be able to play to good for the level they are: I played Arnold Palmers Links LS back in 99 through 2001 and I played it really well as far as skill. When I found this game a few months ago and started playing, everything came easy from T to green. The physics of this game is almost exactly like the Arnold Palmer Links LS, as far as adjusting yrdges and aiming  with all kinds of winds, only thing different is the putting, that has been my nemisis, but I have been called a cheater a few times as I was moving up through tiers. I think anyone who has played online golf  can pick up quickly on this game.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 2 2015 9:00 AM

DavStan:
    I think anyone who has played online golf  can pick up quickly on this game.

Agreed

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jan 2 2015 3:46 PM

DavStan:
    Just something I would like to point out, about new players whom seem to be able to play to good for the level they are: I played Arnold Palmers Links LS back in 99 through 2001 and I played it really well as far as skill. When I found this game a few months ago and started playing, everything came easy from T to green. The physics of this game is almost exactly like the Arnold Palmer Links LS, as far as adjusting yrdges and aiming  with all kinds of winds, only thing different is the putting, that has been my nemisis, but I have been called a cheater a few times as I was moving up through tiers. I think anyone who has played online golf  can pick up quickly on this game.

Agree with a fair bit of that, BUT:

Now I am even before you, lol, my previous computer golf was circa 1990 PGA and this game resembles that huge in essence, IMO, especially early on.  When you analyse what people mean by being too good though it's hacks with 55% + 1 putt etc day 1, and then hitting Legend and continuing on their rampage without missing a beat type stuff

BTW (and sound like you would not) don't listen too much to people.  If you are just playing and learning as you go there is nothing forcing some one to tier up faster than it organically happens for them.  Enjoy the ride, and even look at a RG if your scores match up.  

Hit Legend and that's where this new game really, without question IMO, separates out completely from it's roots, albeit in my limited experience of online golf.  Whilst you were playing Arnold P  in 1999 I was in deepest kids territory - 3 rugrats all under 5 cos the wife made me, and I will remain magnagamous in that :)

• PastorJon
    277 Posts
    Sun, Jan 4 2015 5:13 AM

I've played a few of these high level hacks and amateurs, and some of them just don't care about the stroke play game, which is where the averages come from.  One guy who soundly thrashed me on a blitz game was a level 36, 150 average hack who had played over 6 months.  He said he just played AS and Blitz competitions, had no interest in stroke play. We're all here for different reasons for fun and enjoyment, so it didn't really impact me the way it seems to have some others here.

Yes, I considered it sandbagging, but I don't play for credits, just for fun so I really didn't care.  He even gave me a couple tips I have used on my own travel up the pro ladder.

Someone once questioned my own rise up the ranks from hack to pro as well.  I learned quickly, got some tips from some willing Masters as I was coming up, and focused only on stroke play so I could make pro and join the country club I hoped to join.  Now that I have made pro, I'm exploring the rest of the game.  (And I'm still having a hard time with middle length putts to get that average under 72 for the next tier!)

RSS