Forums

Help › Forums

Firefox Closing Itself

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 26 2009 11:43 PM (7 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Feb 20 2009 12:11 PM

This has happened to me enough times now to justify a bug report.  Here's the situation.  Firefox 3.0.6

Usually firefox allows tabbed browsing.  In other words, I don't usually have to have multiple windows up.  Just a single window, with multiple tabs.

The game forces Firefox (and I assume all other browsers) to open up a secondary game window when we play.  If I want decent game performance, I usually cannot have both the game window and the website window open at the same time so, I always close the website window.

About 40% of the time that I close the website window, the game window also closes on it's own 2 to 4 seconds later.  It's not directly related to the WGT website either, because I was just in a threesome on #4 with some friends.  When it wasn't my turn, I opened up a second Firefox window to check out a link I received from a buddy.  The website I was on was totally unrelated to the WGT yet, when I closed that window it took the game window along with it. 

This is the first time I've lost the window in the middle of a round but, I'm usually not opening and closing windows during the game.  This happens most often in the beginning, after loading the game window and trying to close the website.  It doesn't matter if it's single player or multiplayer or if the game window is fully loaded or still loading.

This isn't a case of a mistaken click or one X hiding behind another X that was accidently double-clicked.  It happens whether I right-click and close the window through the taskbar or if click on the X to close the window.

Thanks

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Fri, Feb 20 2009 4:02 PM

We will look in to this, thanks for the detailed report.  Please let us know if this happens in anyother browser.

• NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Sat, Feb 21 2009 8:49 AM

I also use Firefox (3.0.6) but with NO problem.  I never get logged out.   Now, I usually play with both windows (website window and game window) open since I've never encountered a performance hit.  But I went through the scenario nivlac describes and report that I can close any window (website window or game window) and it doesn't affect the other window.  I even tried using multiple tabs to get it to fail, but it still works fine.  Sorry, I wish I had an answer but just wanted to let you know that it's working OK for me.  I don't think I have a powerful PC... 1GB of ram.  I do think I have a pretty good graphics card though... ATI Radeon X800 XT (4 years old).

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Feb 21 2009 11:21 AM

Weird indeed.  It doesn't happen to me all the time.  Maybe 1 or 2 times out of 10 tries.  Just enough to be a nuisance.

• NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Sat, Feb 21 2009 4:47 PM

I'm logged on just about every day.  I probably should have seen some problems like that by now.  But so far I haven't... knock on wood (persimmon of course).  If that changes and I see problems, I'll let you know.  Good luck.

• chuckiee
    2,194 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2009 10:40 AM

NASAgolfer

This does not pertain to this situation but does a graphics card help out with the game ?

chuckiee 

• NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2009 12:43 PM

I don't know.

Flash player is a plug-in for your browser, so I would think that you should be OK as long as you have it installed in your favorite browser.

Any hardware experts out there?  I'm just a software guy.

I still get a jerky swing meter now and then (nothing like a month ago though).  So a graphics card does NOT prevent that (if that's what you mean by "help out with the game")

This I know for a fact... it doesn't help shoot lower scores on WGT!

• chuckiee
    2,194 Posts
    Thu, Feb 26 2009 11:43 PM

Rodger that NASAgolfer was thinking it might help trying to make the right choices to upgrade. Im maxed out on my ram 2gb probably need a new computer dell 1100 Demension. was wondering if a external hard drive would help. sorry I jumped in on the firefox but thought you guys would know.

Thanks chuckiee

RSS