Forums

Help › Forums

Wanna go to St. Andrews!

Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:40 PM (51 replies)
  • YancyCan
    3,027 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 9:06 AM

SystemCrash:

I thing that game just got me. I must be honest, I never played on a real golf course. Just putting and driving ranges, but I'm allowed to dream! One nice feature of the game (and of course one good way for WGT to do some cash-in with ads) is that there is a link to the real courses websites. I visited St. Andrews' one and I must say Wow!... how pleasant this could be!

I'm not even sure it's open to public. If I ever go there one day and play no better than 100, I would still be satisfied and refreshed!

Did I say I'm allowed to dream?

Cheers to you all, keep it up with the most refreshing sport in the world!

Rob

My name is Yancy - Hello Rob

Me and my good buddy Medford Mel are planning on driving up to St. Andrews this spring - we could pick you up on the way if you alls can put in on the fuel expenses and whatnoits.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2012 3:20 PM

YancyCan:
    Me and my good buddy Medford Mel are planning on driving up to St. Andrews this spring - we could pick you up on the way if you alls can put in on the fuel expenses and whatnoits.
    Don't try to take a rookie to the Old Course: You'll need a handicap certificate showing less than 22(?) (slightly more for women).

• davep043
    12 Posts
    Sun, Jan 29 2012 7:33 AM

I was lucky enough to play the Old Course in May, 2011, and will be there again in June, 2012.  A couple of clarifications.  The handicap limit for playing the Old Course is 24 for men, and 36 for women.  The starter did check everyone's handicap card on the day we played.  To apply in advance for reserved tee times, you'll need at least 2 players, and no more than 8, and must include each player's name,  home club and handicap on the application, which is submitted after 10 AM on the first Wednesday in September for the following year.  The Links Trust will respond within 8 weeks.

I've read about the older practice of playing the course in the reverse order to the whay its played today.  I understand that do this only once a year now, so I googleed it.  The following link is a very detailed description of each hole.  Faxciinating stuff!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/jeremy-glenn-the-reverse-old-course/

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 1:37 AM

Thanks for the correction, Dave. Maybe the limit was 22 six years ago when I first went to Scotland (alas, Northern Highlands).

Did/do you also play the other courses on the links (New, Jubilee etc.)? I enjoyed Jubilee very much in 2009, only taking a walk on Old Course on a Sunday. A remarkable gem in the area is xxxxxxx (1) Links IMHO (more ferocious than the STA links).

Thx for the link as well. We may dream of playing the reverse course but spaces are very limited.

Enjoy your trip!

Jealous greets,

alosso

(1) correction: read Leven Links instead of Lundin (which is next door, not bad, too)

• davep043
    12 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 5:06 AM

In May, we scheduled rounds at Kingsbarns, the Old, and the New.  In addition, we arranged to play at Panmure, which is just east of Carnoustie, and at Lundin Links, which as you know is a bit to the southwest of St Andrews..  My wife and I decided to go a couple of days earlier that the rest of the group, and played at Royal Dornoch.  I got a lot of really good advice from the Tripadvisor website, and posted a rather longwinded report of my trip there.  Anyone that cares to read about it can find it at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i15987-k4881920-Trip_report_golf_in_Dornoch_and_St_Andrews-Golf_Vacations.html

This coming June, we've scheduled Crail (Balcomie), the Old, Jubilee, Elie, Carnoustie (Championship), and Panmure.  After that, half the group will continue north, playing at Tain, and on consecutive days at Royal Dornoch.  I can't wait.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 5:42 AM

I like your report, bringing up memory of my golfing visits to Scotland. Once we stayed in Anstruther and enjoyed the award-winning fish&chips. Played their wee 9 hole course, too, with "The Rockies" (5th hole), voted the toughest par 3 in the UK. See a review behind this link.

Carnoustie is on top of my wishlist.

Of those northern courses, I played Tain in a rainstorm, enjoyed Golspie and Brora, too.

Another recommendation is Boat of Garten, inland between Inveness and Aberdeen.

A bit away from there is a real gem, Durness (9 holes), on the far NW corner of scottish mainland. Come & play in the Atlantic breeze! <eg>

IMNSHO, you have planned your  trips close to perfection - I wish you all the best for your travels, and you may never get a traditional (that is tepid) Ale!

• davep043
    12 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 8:45 AM

alosso:
    I wish you all the best for your travels, and you may never get a traditional (that is tepid) Ale!

There's nowt wrong with a proper cask ale, pulled by hand at cellar temperature!

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:34 AM

I love Ale, too, in the way it is served nowadays.

Non need to chill it, right, but the traditional temp is like my handicap: too high!

(2 b honest, I had this only once in a better Engish hotel)

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sun, Feb 5 2012 5:10 AM

davep043:

I've read about the older practice of playing the course in the reverse order to the whay its played today.  I understand that do this only once a year now, so I googleed it.  The following link is a very detailed description of each hole.  Faxciinating stuff!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/jeremy-glenn-the-reverse-old-course/

Dave, thanks for this link! It makes me think: Since WGT has its photo bank and its terrain mapping ... WGT could publish a Reverse St. Andrew's!

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Sun, Feb 5 2012 7:49 PM

SystemCrash:

I visited St. Andrews' one and I must say Wow!... how pleasant this could be!

I'm not even sure it's open to public. If I ever go there one day and play no better than 100, I would still be satisfied and refreshed!

Did I say I'm allowed to dream?

Cheers to you all, keep it up with the most refreshing sport in the world!

Rob

I played the Old Course last year & went round in 77 (near perfect conditions)......then played the Duke's Course 5 days later (a lot of players were walking off at the 12th due to really heavy winds)

You can play the Old Course...it's a public course but is pretty hard to get on. The Old Course operates a ballot system, but given the correct planning you will be able to play it.

It's a fantastic course....& it's a fantastic feeling walking over the Swilken Bridge on the 18th.

Hopefully I'll be back up at St Andrews in 8 weeks to play the Old Course in a revenge match depending how busy I am....and how my game is lol.

tbe

RSS