Forums

Help › Forums

Wanna go to St. Andrews!

Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:40 PM (51 replies)
  • SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Sun, Feb 28 2010 10:14 PM

I thing that game just got me. I must be honest, I never played on a real golf course. Just putting and driving ranges, but I'm allowed to dream! One nice feature of the game (and of course one good way for WGT to do some cash-in with ads) is that there is a link to the real courses websites. I visited St. Andrews' one and I must say Wow!... how pleasant this could be!

I'm not even sure it's open to public. If I ever go there one day and play no better than 100, I would still be satisfied and refreshed!

Did I say I'm allowed to dream?

Cheers to you all, keep it up with the most refreshing sport in the world!

Rob

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 6:48 AM
    St. Andrews IS open to the public, but getting on is a real bear: you must submit a ballot WELL in advance for any possibility to guarantee a booking, or you can try what they call a daily ballot for play the next day, but NO guarantees you'll get a slot. If I looked at the web site correctly, green fees range from 55-110 pounds. Don't quote me on this, but the conversion rate is approximately two dollars for every pound, so that would put it at 110-220 US dollars. I'm sure there are an abundant amount of deals and dealers who could lower that price for you if you shopped around well enough. Most folks also don't know there are 10 courses to choose from within five minutes of the town proper, including seven in the St. Andrews hub alone. If you REALLY want to dream, you could try to book the hotel that overlooks the 18th green at the Old Course. But that's a golfer's borderline wet dream there, and we don't want to get into that. Also, visitors must have a handicap certificate or a letter of introduction. They suggest a handicap no higher than 24 for men and 36 for ladies.
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:39 AM

SystemCrash... just one little recommendation: I would not make your first ever golf outing on St. Andrews.  The real game is far, far harder than the game here.  There are about 80 more variables... most of them being in your head and in your hand/eye coordination... and timing.  I'd suggest maybe 20+ rounds at several local courses near your home before venturing forth on St. Andrews.  That will make for more enjoyment when you play there.  As it is now, if you go out cold you're not looking at a score of 100.  Probably closer to 150 to 200.  Serious.  And that won't be any fun for your partners.

But when you do play St. Andrews by all means follow the other advice on here and stay at the old hotel... and soak it all in.  That's the only way to go.  Hey, life is short.  And don't forget to carry a flask of good single malt scotch onto the course with you.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:45 AM

I did the currency conversion.

50 pounds = $76.00

90 pounds = $136.80

110 pounds = $167.21

220 pounds = $334.42

It seems the dollar isn't worth $hit. lol

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 7:52 AM

Doublemochaman:
    And don't forget to carry a flask of good single malt scotch onto the course with you.

I've always been quite fond of mead. Very tasty.

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:09 PM

Thanks for the reply Middle4man.

It's indeed very expensive but I'm not surprised. It goes with the demand. With a classic course like this, they can put whatever the price they want, there will always be someone ready to pay for it.

Middle4man:
    Also, visitors must have a handicap certificate or a letter of introduction.

I was pretty sure that there was some kind of control so you don't piss off the other 'clients' and make them wait forever!

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:21 PM

Doublemochaman:
    As it is now, if you go out cold you're not looking at a score of 100.  Probably closer to 150 to 200.  Serious.  And that won't be any fun for your partners.

You're most probably right. I'm oblivious about how a hacker like me would score on a first attempt on that kind of course (or any pro course).

Like I said I was just dreaming a bit ;) I feel a bit like a teenager singing in front of the bathroom mirror once in a while and wanting to make it to the American Idol top 10!

Rob

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 1:22 PM

Get plenty of sleep the night before your first ever round. If you play 18, you will be exhausted after all those strokes. ( I am fondly remembering my first day on a course. It beat me to death) Good luck and enjoy.

• Middle4man
    368 Posts
    Tue, Mar 2 2010 4:40 PM
    Does ANYONE ever get a good night's rest the night before they play St. Andrews for the first time? I'm better off taking a long afternoon nap and staying up all night so I don't miss the alarm.
  • TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 12:33 PM

My last trip to St Andrews was about 5 years ago.  You enter into a daily lottery to get to play, but generally have no trouble getting on the course.  There are actually several courses there but we are talking about the Old Course.    The exchange rate was about the same then as today, I think that we paid 150 pounds or around $200 US to play plus caddy fees which were about 20 pounds each, they double carried.  My handicap was around 5 at the time and I shot 78 from the back tees.  Greens were very slow, it was July and the ball would roll an extra 50 yards off the tee, tee shots of 330 were easy, I hit very few drivers.  The only reason to play this one is for the history, there are at least 50 better and less expensive courses within an hour, including Carnoustie.  You are requested to present your handicap to the starter.

RSS