Forums

Help › Forums

What Tiger Should Have Said

Tue, Apr 27 2010 9:09 AM (132 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 3:02 PM

SweetiePie:
    It is all about the word private which is the opposite of public. Augusta National is private. The membership there wishes to keep it that way and nothing or no one will change that right. If it ever becomes public, and it never will, it will be because the membership decides to do so, not because some worthless, ranting, ne'er-do-well, blabbering, female thinks they should.

QFE, with the addendum...

They are going to do it their way, whether you like it or not..  Just ask CBS.  Remember the year without commercials?  "Boycott the sponsors" was the cry.  "Protect the sponsors and screw you" was the answer. 

USA Today:
    Augusta National chairman Hootie Johnson dropped the three U.S. TV advertisers — Coca-Cola, Citigroup and IBM — to protect them, he said, from Martha Burk, chair of the National Council of Women's Organizations (NCWO), who's leading the charge to gain club membership for the first woman.

And it was VERY effective....  Scoreboard:  Hootie and the boys:  1 - Martha: nil.

Game. Set. Match.

It was a beautiful thing.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 6:50 PM

Just a thought snaike , "I'm not a Martha tag-along, nor would i support a sponser boycott," but maybe the reason the 1'st female hasn't been given a membership at Augusta is that(Some) of the members of Augusta are just like (Some) of the members of WGT ; Hootie and the boys don't want to get outplayed by one.  I agree ,  it was a beautiful thing.   :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 7:53 PM

Evidently, Bill Gates has been on a waiting list for over four years and although it will never be published as news, it may be that he is in by virtue of his friend Warren Buffett. The question I pose is twofold. What woman? And what woman would want to be at a place where she would be, by manners embraced, but in fact, never welcomed? Who? Why? To do what?

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 9:02 PM
    Membership at Augusta is a little old school, hence Gates can't even get in. You harve to be approved by a vote of all the members, one blackball and you are out and the vote is secret.........so good luck to Bill. I agree with SP, why would you want to be a member where you aren't welcome.
  • TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sat, Apr 3 2010 10:41 PM

My point (Obviously missed), in no way suggested that a women would want to be, should be , or ever will be a member at Augusta. It simply stated a possible "REASON" for why women are not and  probably never will be welcome.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Apr 4 2010 2:12 AM

TheAceFactor:
    but maybe the reason the 1'st female hasn't been given a membership at Augusta is that(Some) of the members of Augusta are just like (Some) of the members of WGT ; Hootie and the boys don't want to get outplayed by one.

I disagree.  The whole flap was not about women or golf...  it was about what constitutes a "PRIVATE" club and the entitlement/all inclusive  mentality.  The REASON women won't be admitted is the same REASON 99.9999999% of the male population won't be admitted...  Because the club is PRIVATE.

SweetiePie:
    Evidently, Bill Gates has been on a waiting list for over four years and although it will never be published as news, it may be that he is in by virtue of his friend Warren Buffett.

TarheelsRule:
    Membership at Augusta is a little old school, hence Gates can't even get in. You harve to be approved by a vote of all the members,

Bill Gates has been a member of Augusta since 2002. 

Fortune Magazine 4/13/2003:

Bill Gates, the richest man in the world, spent years trying to get into Augusta--and was kept out (until last year) because he had the audacity to say he wanted in.

USA Today first ran a complete member list in Sept. 2002 but re-released it in 2004. 

Golf.com (Golf Magazine) (undated) "Order of the Green Jacket" takes a humorous look at some of the members.. B. Gates, W. Buffett, WC Ford Sr., J. Welch and A. Palmer.

And one last good read.  Although I disagree with the author on many subjects, Patrick J. Buchanan once titled a piece "Rooting for Hootie", in which he said:

She must have uniformity. All clubs must adhere to Burk's rules or all will be badgered, boycotted and brought down.

This is true intolerance – the intolerance of modernity that masquerades as social justice.

Having interviewed Burk, I know her to be a pleasant lady. But she is a textbook example of totalitarian liberalism. It is not enough for these people that they be free to live as they choose. They also must have the power to dictate to us how we shall live our lives.

No thanks.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sun, Apr 4 2010 10:50 AM

Snaike, you NOW say that the flap was not about women or golf ? Might I remind you that your original flap contained a scoreboard. 

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Apr 4 2010 11:03 AM

TheAceFactor:

Snaike, you NOW say that the flap was not about women or golf ? Might I remind you that your original flap contained a scoreboard. 

Ace, there is no contradiction.  Read my post.  Ms. Burke's protest was not about women or golf.  It is, as P. Buchanan put it, about totalitarian liberalism.  She saw an opportunity to push her agenda on a national stage and attacked a "Private" club.

And she lost.  Hence the scoreboard.  Women didn't lose, Ms. Burke did.

As soon as folks take the female v. male equation out of this flap everything becomes crystal clear.

SweetiePie said it very clearly...(emphasis mine)

SweetiePie:
    It is all about the word private which is the opposite of public. Augusta National is private. The membership there wishes to keep it that way and nothing or no one will change that right. If it ever becomes public, and it never will, it will be because the membership decides to do so, not because some worthless, ranting, ne'er-do-well, blabbering, female thinks they should.

Now, please let me repeat to you, AceFactor, something I wrote above.  Apparently this is the point you missed.

Snaike:
    I disagree.  The whole flap was not about women or golf...  it was about what constitutes a "PRIVATE" club and the entitlement/all inclusive  mentality.  The REASON women won't be admitted is the same REASON 99.9999999% of the male population won't be admitted...  Because the club is PRIVATE.

I hope that helps.  I don't think I can get much clearer.... I'll try if you think I need to, but I'd just be repeating myself...

RSS