Forums

Help › Forums

Whistler

Fri, Nov 20 2020 2:36 PM (186 replies)
  • jimbean346
    3,006 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2012 7:29 AM

The slopes at Whistler are exacerbated by the championship speed greens. Get on the wrong side of a downhill slope and it's near impossible to stop the ball inside 8ft.

Most of the slopes are severe so will play very similar to an uphill tourney speed putt. In most instances, it's fairly safe to give it a good rap unless you've got an off-straight uphiller (12 for example) where you have to be careful that it doesn't slide back down (ala Cabo 18).

IMO it's a much more enjoyable game knowing that a 5-7ft'er can be a tough putt rather than the gimme which they tend to be on most of the other courses.

• bblackh1
    159 Posts
    Sat, Apr 28 2012 11:53 PM

need to keep this blog near the top of the msgs list.

• oksymoron
    110 Posts
    Sun, Apr 29 2012 10:36 AM

jimbean346:
    IMO it's a much more enjoyable game knowing that a 5-7ft'er can be a tough putt rather than the gimme

Yes, especially if you're aiming for the Diamond Yips Award. Either way, the course favours those agile individuals who never miss and can  continuously stick the ball inside 2 yards (including autodingers). For even if the 5-7 footer you talk about is tricky, it is still makeable and I can see that the skill remains a factor in sinking it. However, land outside 2 yards and even if you're a solid putter and you rely heavily on your skill to keep your scores low, you might as well throw a dice - your advantage over mediocre putters disappears.

So, briefly, this course once again favours dart throwing in the game that has already become a Sharp-shooter's / Autodinger's Paradise. 

That said, "Pissler" (as they call it) especially the front 9, can be fun to play due to interesting changes in elevation . I only hope that  those grids don't lie and the difficulty of the greens is legitimate.

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Sun, Apr 29 2012 4:12 PM

I've gone from loving to hating and back to loving it again. Next week i'll probably hate it again :)

I've holed that dreaded putt from the back of the 4th the last 2 times of playing it. With these greens it's just remembering where the fake breaks are. The 1 thing i do love about whistler is the few greens where you can aim 20ft away from the hole and feed it down to the hole using the slopes. Now that's proper golf in my opinion.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2012 9:46 PM

Just played the back 9 RG with the 'very fast' greens.. Hit all 9 greens, avg distance to hole was 12 feet.  Total putts made was 13.84 feet, with a long putt of 2.3 feet.  1 tap in birdie from a foot, and 8 pars.   When your average made putt is less than a foot and a half, it's time to find another game.

Also, to Dazza's post, I am AMAZED at the number of shots I hit above the hole with a wedge or 9-iron, and they refuse to take the slope back  towards the hole.  I've had 15 foot putts with 14 inches of drop that somehow stick on that slope and refuse to come back to the hole.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, May 6 2012 7:14 PM

First hole.. birdie.. second hole... birdie.. third hole.. birdie.. fourth hole.. FUCKED.. love this game...

• bblackh1
    159 Posts
    Sat, May 12 2012 1:30 AM

Whistler back to top of forum posts...

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Wed, May 16 2012 9:32 PM

What's not to like about these greens?  I mean, it's not like this doesn't happen a couple times a round...

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=dcb754d7-99a9-4a57-b0c5-a054004a7557

• bblackh1
    159 Posts
    Sun, May 27 2012 11:44 PM

Whistler post to front.

• bblackh1
    159 Posts
    Fri, Jun 22 2012 12:08 AM

Whistler back to top of list.

RSS