Forums

Help › Forums

Whistler

Fri, Nov 20 2020 2:36 PM (186 replies)
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:30 PM

CMcCartney727:
    10th hole (downhill par 3) I haven't come close to figuring out.  Hole is 129, with a 15 yard drop, directly into a 15 mph wind..  I hit my 130 yard 9 iron, thinking the 15 mph wind will somewhat offset the 15 yard drop.  Nope... the ball carries 145 yards and plugs in the back bunker, thank you very much.  Shouldn't a 15 mph headwind affect a 9 iron just a little?  Oh, and did I mention I was -7 thru the first 9 holes in an RG?  LOL...

I play it as a 115 yard hole, and adjust for wind accordingly.

• jvr86
    799 Posts
    Sun, Apr 8 2012 1:44 AM

MBaggese:
    I play it as a 115 yard hole, and adjust for wind accordingly.

^^^^ that's the way! 

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, Apr 8 2012 8:21 AM

MBaggese:

[I play it as a 115 yard hole, and adjust for wind accordingly.

exactly.. that's what I thought I was doing- 15 mph headwind should take something off a 9 iron, especially with the hang time.. that ball is in the air for a long time..  so how does it carry 146 into a 15 mph headwind? 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Apr 8 2012 9:47 AM

CMcCartney727:

MBaggese:

[I play it as a 115 yard hole, and adjust for wind accordingly.

exactly.. that's what I thought I was doing- 15 mph headwind should take something off a 9 iron, especially with the hang time.. that ball is in the air for a long time..  so how does it carry 146 into a 15 mph headwind? 

I think it's one of those "WGT" things that happen, i/e playing AS last night SA Back 9 par 3, almost directly into 21mph wind, 1/2 BS 5 iron(195) ding (hole playing 180), ball flew over the green landed somehwere on the back fairway.

Other folks report this all the time, as maybe the club change did not get registered, I/e my shot acted like a 4 iron (210), yours like an 8 iron (150).

Edit:

I just played that hole in nearly the same conditions as you had, almost directly into a 13MPH wind.

I used full 120 PW, no spin, ball landed just at the hole and trickled a few more yards.

I think a touch of BS would have stuck it.

• promark1
    412 Posts
    Sun, Apr 8 2012 11:49 AM

things like that are always happening on wgt.its just one more thing we have to deal with.keeps it interesting

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Thu, Apr 12 2012 9:17 PM

Whistler in full EFF YOU mode tonight... lol...  .   Everything that could go wrong did.. land the ball near the hole and it rolls away... land it 10 feet short and it stops dead.  downhill putts with 4-6 inches of slope stopping inches from the (middle of the) hole...   I have to take my medication before attempting this clown course

• misstery
    705 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2012 12:44 AM

The championship greens on the back 9 ready go are painfully slow, any chance you can tweak them up a bit WGT??

• jvr86
    799 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2012 1:53 AM

misstery:

The championship greens on the back 9 ready go are painfully slow, any chance you can tweak them up a bit WGT??

yeah! they play like Legend tournament greens!

try to play the 1000cr ready to go... you will find yourself putting on ice... that ball simply dont stop! well unless it is uphill lol ball is always short!

If you like poker you will like Whistler... every time you enter is a matter of luck, deviation and wind set up... cero skill! I made a 70 right after making a 59!

• misstery
    705 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2012 2:28 AM

jvr86:
    try to play the 1000cr ready to go

hahahahahaha!!!!! that looks more like a game of russian roulette!!!

A 1000 credits is way beyond my skill level.

Maybe next year when i've learnt how to drive lol

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Fri, Apr 13 2012 7:22 AM

jvr86:

If you like poker you will like Whistler... every time you enter is a matter of luck, deviation and wind set up... 

Something else I noticed last night... the deviation was BRUTAL!  I hit a number of shots that missed the ding by the slightest of margins (partial ding) and the ball was ending up 20 feet or more offline with a wedge or 9 iron.  On one of the par-3's, the wind was directly at my back, aimed right at the hole and dinged the shot, and I was 19 feet right of the hole.  Haven't experienced that to such a degree before...

CM

RSS