Help › Forums

Whistler

Fri, Nov 20 2020 2:36 PM (186 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 1:23 AM

Infinito3010:

mantis0014:
    The greens on Whistler are way too tough to have fun on.

Just my two cents worth.  I think by playing Whistler and having fun on the greens will make you a better putter for sure in the long term.  Also, Whistler is not about utilizing course management.  I spend a lot of time using the flop on the holes for the approach shots.  Whistler, definitely makes you think where you want the ball to land both on the fairway and on the green.

I'm a pretty deadly putter, but alas lack a little in the Approach shots. Thanks for that advice...  The flop shot works wonders, I also noticed Putting from the fringe (When close to hole) is a good option too.  

Shot my lowest on the front9 yesterday (32) and a top 10 finish in the R/Go...Very happy about that.

Every little advice about how to play the course is a great Help

Cheers

Roger

• BillyTBudMan
    100 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 3:10 AM

Don't you think there is something wrong when you have to use "chip" view on a 6 ft. putt in order to get a more accurate read ???  Shouldn't the "putt" view give you the best idea on the break?

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Tue, Apr 3 2012 10:27 AM

I had a round a few nights ago where I hit every green and my average distance to the hole was less than 8 feet.. I managed 9 under, and made less than 60 feet of putts- average putt made was 3 feet!  I think I'm pretty good at judging the approaches in this game (some nights I can hit the 'ding' pretty regularly), but the putting is a killer.  Other than this course, lol, I almost never miss inside 6 feet, and from 15 feet out I make my share.. it's the 7-12 foot range that just kills me.  I can't seem to read the breaks from that distance.  Sometimes the ball comes off my putter real firm, and other times it's as if I still have the putter cover on.  For the life of me I can't figure out why.. Must have something to do with how far I'm taking the putter back?  If it's less than, say, 2/3, the ball comes off the putter 'dead'.  I don't think I'll ever figure this out!

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Thu, Apr 5 2012 9:54 PM

I must love the abuse.. I keep saying I'm quitting this course, but I'm so BORED with the other ones I keep going back..  Only 4 missed putts inside 5 feet tonight before the WD, so I consider myself lucky.  In the meantime, I'll hope for something less goofy on the next release..

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 10:23 AM

It's a very easy course from tee to green but the greens are headache inducing. I wish it wasn't 60C to play as I'd be on there the whole time otherwise.

• WinterHawk1951
    392 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 1:48 PM

Easy or not, If I wanted to play on this course vs any of the other courses that WGT offers, I'd have stayed playing on Links2K1. Graphics sux here compared to the real life type graphics on WGTs other courses. Belly up to the bar gents, take our money then come out with a cheap version of a golf course. Be REAL !!   That's why you take our $$ isn't it?

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2012 8:51 PM

WinterHawk1951:

Belly up to the bar gents, take our money then come out with a cheap version of a golf course. Be REAL !!   That's why you take our $ isn't it?

That's not a fair comment on WGT at all. Since I joined we have seen Oakmont, St Andrews, Royal St Georges, Congressional and also the imminent arrival of the Olympic Club. That gives us 7 courses to play plus the 2 TruGolf courses. I think from where this game started that's damn good going, don't you?

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 7:48 AM

CMcCartney727:

I had a round a few nights ago where I hit every green and my average distance to the hole was less than 8 feet.. I managed 9 under, and made less than 60 feet of putts- average putt made was 3 feet!  I think I'm pretty good at judging the approaches in this game (some nights I can hit the 'ding' pretty regularly), but the putting is a killer.  Other than this course, lol, I almost never miss inside 6 feet, and from 15 feet out I make my share.. it's the 7-12 foot range that just kills me.  I can't seem to read the breaks from that distance. 

It's not just you, we all have them round this course I would suggest. I have just played today's 18 hole ready go and from tee to green I have never played the course better;

I have shot a couple of 57s, a few 59s but usually a good bet for 60-62. Today I shot a 64. I missed half a dozen inside 5 feet, everyone of them a downhill slider. It's just the way of things and that's what I love about this course, you just never know what you're going to get.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 6:24 PM

10th hole (downhill par 3) I haven't come close to figuring out.  Hole is 129, with a 15 yard drop, directly into a 15 mph wind..  I hit my 130 yard 9 iron, thinking the 15 mph wind will somewhat offset the 15 yard drop.  Nope... the ball carries 145 yards and plugs in the back bunker, thank you very much.  Shouldn't a 15 mph headwind affect a 9 iron just a little?  Oh, and did I mention I was -7 thru the first 9 holes in an RG?  LOL...

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Apr 7 2012 8:16 PM

CMcCartney727:

10th hole (downhill par 3) I haven't come close to figuring out.  Hole is 129, with a 15 yard drop, directly into a 15 mph wind..  I hit my 130 yard 9 iron, thinking the 15 mph wind will somewhat offset the 15 yard drop.  Nope... the ball carries 145 yards and plugs in the back bunker, thank you very much.  Shouldn't a 15 mph headwind affect a 9 iron just a little?  Oh, and did I mention I was -7 thru the first 9 holes in an RG?  LOL...

It sounds like you were hitting with the wind Instead of against it....lol

The 10th is hard to judge because of the High Tee.  I sought of worked out to use my R11 PW (120yrds) and go from there depending on the wind.

-Roger

RSS