Forums

Help › Forums

Whistler

Fri, Nov 20 2020 2:36 PM (186 replies)
  • manabouttown11
    573 Posts
    Tue, Mar 20 2012 9:44 PM

CMcCartney727:

If it's not obvious already, the best advise for this course is not to use any backspin on your approaches.  I have always played full spin (particularly on longer shots), but on this course it is death.  No spin (or minimal) has made a big difference to me.  

Great tip thanks.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Wed, Mar 21 2012 8:52 PM

First 10 holes tonight I had 8 birdie putts between 10 and 20 feet, and all of them had a minimum of 5" downhill...  just glad I didn't 3 putt any of them.. geez.. 

• infilm
    6 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 10:19 AM

The green on 12 is a joke. Yes I four putted it, but rolling back to my feet, really?

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:29 PM

infilm:

The green on 12 is a joke. Yes I four putted it, but rolling back to my feet, really?

That green is pure evil, five putted it last night in a ready-go. Missed a four-footer for birdie and twice from 20ish feet below the hole, missed and had the ball roll back to my feet. Still ended up with a 64, but that green took me from a tie for fourth to a tie for tenth. Not too bothered by it though, with half the field WD'ing, I'm sure I'm not the only one who had problems with that green. Need to figure out a way to just hole the approach and take putting out of the equation...

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 1:04 PM

I'm happy to report being 3 putt (+) and Bogey free for the first time since the course has opened, now if I can only stop two putting from inside 6 feet, I'd be golden;)

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 2:40 PM

I'd like to think I've got it sussed now, -64 for my last 5 rounds. There are however a few holes that keep giving me problems and it is down to being unable to nail the correct distance with the approaches.

The 1st I have all but given up on getting close with my second shot, playing for the heart of the green and hoping to drain a 30 footer for eagle seems the logical play. Anyone with any tips on getting it closer than that I'd appreciate them.

The 9th I either go flying through or hit the hill at the front and stay short of the green, again any tips are welcome.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 4:15 PM

tiffer67:

The 9th I either go flying through or hit the hill at the front and stay short of the green, again any tips are welcome.

With you on this one..  I seem to come up 10 yards short, even taking into consideration the upslope.   Hit a 175 club with 12 mph tailwind and full bs, and it only carried 149.. yikes..

I still miss too many putts inside 8 feet on this course.  Some of the greens do not give an accurate picture of the break on the shorties.. #4 I had it pin high right, 6 feet from the hole.  The break showed the ball going left, and it actually broke right.   I was a foot wide on a pretty harmless 6 footer..   This course will do that!

CM 

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, Mar 25 2012 4:38 PM

http://www.wgt.com/replay.aspx?ID=fb2f7879-a25a-4f54-bd49-a01f01853869

Lol... couldn't WD fast enough after that one...

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 12:28 AM

Didn't understand what the fuss was about the Championship greens until I got to the 12th. Hit the same 15-foot uphill putt multiple times. The third time it went in and I felt lucky to escape with a bogey.

• Yappy22
    733 Posts
    Mon, Mar 26 2012 7:19 AM

This coarse is fun to play but as many have said very inconsistent in distances and putting. Like putts going opposite of what the break said. I also find the winds seem to change, A 10mph on one hole will not be the same on another hole coming from the same direction.  Very hard to get approach shots close and you all know what a 10 ft putt is like............hard to make.

RSS