Forums

Help › Forums

Your Opinions on Tiger Woods' Statement

Sat, Mar 20 2010 9:09 PM (51 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 11:06 AM

I tend to agree with you.  Tiger called the press conference and made sure that it was where he wanted it, when he wanted it and only allowed who he wanted there.  The golf writers had every right to not attend.  If you listened to any of the people who are experts at body language you know what this was, Tiger being the incredible arrogant ass that he is.  He wants his sponsors to forgive him, then pay back the $100 million that they gave you and are still giving you for 2010.  Nike has no choice but to support him, they have built their entire golf line around him and probably have an investment of over $1 billion in him.  I am all for privacy and protection of family, however once you take money to be a spokesman and hawk products you lose a lot of your privacy.  Once again Tiger wants it both ways, he wants the money, fame, women, etc. but none of the negatives that come with it.  He still doesn't get it, he bought his wife a $2 million boat last week......don't try to buy her, behave so that you will deserve her.  Tiger has proven that he is just another athlete with too much money and no real character.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 12:18 PM

The Woods camp sent them an invite to be there in person but the Golf Channel declined.Why would they go, most of the time they interview winners not losers.Oh yeah nobody but King Eldridge got a chance to speak, much less ask his Highness a question.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 4:50 PM

andyson:
    He needed to apologize to his fans for the deception he created with his image.  I'm a fan and accept what he said.  Obviously your not and don't.

No sir... he did not.  He does not owe me, you, Tom, Dick or Harry any apologies whatsoever.  That you think he owes you something speaks more to your character than anything else.

He's an athlete... nothing more.  He plays golf, very well mind you, but it's still only a game.  He makes HUGE jack doing it... but who pays him?  Sponsors.  THOSE are the people he owes apologies too... Sponsors and family.

If you think he really cares about Joe Sixpack, you're delusional.  He gets appearance fees for showing up at tourneys.. hell, sometimes (as in the case of the Aussie Open - $3 MILLION) he makes more just for showing up than he would if he won the damn thing.

He owes you nothing.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.  Naught.  Zilch.  Bupkiss.

All he has to do to win back most of the fans and supporters is get back on the golf course.  That's all.. no fancy 'prepared statement'.. no contrived emotional TV message...  no drama...  no jabs at prior sponsors....  nothing but play golf.

The Golf Writers didn't show because it wasn't a press conference.. they saw it for what it was... contrived, orchestrated and controlled.   In other words, it was Tiger being Tiger.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 5:57 PM

Tiger owes no one.

Not an apology, not an explaination, not a whisper of anything.

In truth, we all owe him. Along with the media, his sponsors, his fans, and his wife.

He owes no one.

If he does, what is it that he owes that is tangible, or means anything beyond allowing us to watch him play golf?  Everything aside from that is nothing more than conversation.

He owes nothing.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 6:01 PM

Snaike:

No sir... he did not.  He does not owe me, you, Tom, Dick or Harry any apologies whatsoever.  That you think he owes you something speaks more to your character than anything else.

Who the hell are you to question my character and  tell me what I should think?  Its my opinion he did owe his fans an apology for the false image he portrayed.  You're entitled to your opinion.  Cast your character aspersions elsewhere.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 8:10 PM

Everyone makes a viable point on the Tiger debacle, but keep in mind, Tiger is very giving to multiple charities around the world.

Like SP said, Tiger owes nothing to no one, just an apology to his wife. Prominent public figures have to make a public apology for whatever wrong doing if they want to make a come back, otherwise it's lights out, game over and all credibility would be lost with most fans. It was speculated through reporting, that Tiger was asked to do a public apology by his therapist.

I suspect Tiger will make a come back to golf one day, but don't look for it to happen in 2010. I agree with Snaike, by January 2011, Tiger will be teeing it up on every course that's on the 2011 PGA roster.

In the end, Tiger is doing the right thing as a high profile celebrity, as far as making a comeback is concerned.

GL Tiger.

*edit 4/8/10: I missed that big time. Tiger pimped us all.

• chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Sun, Feb 21 2010 12:43 AM

once again sweetie pie well said money can make the best people make poor decisions

All the best Tiger

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Feb 21 2010 9:37 AM

Andyson:
    Who the hell are you to question my character and  tell me what I should think?  Its my opinion he did owe his fans an apology for the false image he portrayed.  You're entitled to your opinion.  Cast your character aspersions elsewhere.

Question your character, Andyson?  No.  Telling you what to think?  Not a chance.  Stating my opinion that I am entitled to? Absolutely.

Apparently, since my above opinion has made Andyson uncomfortable,  I will not only have to apologize, but I will have to state it in a different manner.

In my world there are only three people whose opinion of me matters....  In this order, they are:

• My Wife
    • My Mother
    • The man who signs my paycheck

These are the three people to whom I ~owe~ an apology if I mess up.  These are the three people that, when I mess up,  need to hear directly from me, sincerely, contritely and honestly, my apologies for damaging our relationship.

Nobody else.  Noone.

Of course (as above where I apologized to Andyson for making him uncomfortable) there are different levels of apologies... most are the polite kind needed to get by in every day society ("Oops, didn't see you there, sorry!"  "Fore!!  Wow, don't know what happened there, must have shanked it,  Sorry!"   "I'm sorry, What did you say?" etc etc etc...).

But the deeply, sincerely, most heart-felt "I ~really~ screwed up" apologies are a different breed.  These are the ones we are discussing.

If you (generic 'you', not specific) think that any sports figure, movie star, public personality ~owes~ you an apology for their actions, you (generic 'you', not specific) are delusional.  You (generic 'you', not specific) are placing your importance in their lives WAY too high.  Just because you're (generic 'you', not specific) a fan of someone does not give you the right, or the ability, to question their activities, motivations, lifestyle, etc etc...  And if you (generic 'you', not specific) build your life and your style on the opinions or projections of someone who is 'famous' (ie...  "Oh!  Look what she's wearing!  I have to have one of those!!"  or  "Wow, Tiger uses Gillette?  I have to go get me some!!") you (generic 'you', not specific) need serious therapy and help.

Honestly, these 'stars' don't care about you.  They don't know you, they aren't trying to make your life better, and they certainly don't want to hang with you at the club when they're in town.  (How many guys wearing  D. Jeter's jersey do you see hanging out with him?  None.)

They owe you nothing.  Being a fan gets you ZERO say in their lives.  They are not going to change for you.  And, honestly, they don't give a rat's ass what you think of them.

Bringing this back full circle.... as I mentioned above... TIger had to apologize to three people.... His wife, his mother, and the corporations that sign his paycheck. 

To you and me, it was just theatre.

• hackerj
    309 Posts
    Sun, Feb 21 2010 10:15 AM

The only person Tiger owes an apology to , and much more is the wife he has publicly crapped on.

The only thing he is sincerely sorry about is"getting caught"

TRIPLE BOGEY,and deserved...keep your zipper up Tiger and play golf....

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Sun, Feb 21 2010 10:39 AM

I concur with SP's statement. Let it be, he's not the only one in the world that has affairs. He most likely was stuck on golf course his whole life and never had a chance to see what he missed. Life goes on and I for one did not watch his apology to the world.

RSS