Forums

Help › Forums

Mickelson accused of cheating

rated by 0 users
Wed, Mar 10 2010 11:58 AM (37 replies)
  • JoelWhite
    101 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 1:05 PM

Please, read the article and share your thoughts....

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Tour-players-accuse-Phil-Mickelson-of-cheating-?urn=golf,216497

Edit: Sorry, my cut and paste skills are sorely lacking :)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:16 PM

To quote Chad Ochocinco (nee Johnson):

"Child, please..."

• Rules are rules; 
    • breaking rules is cheating;
    • this breaks no rules; 

Ergo...

• This is not cheating.

Just some whiners trying to get in a shot at Lefty.

If you don't like it, change the rules...  otherwise, stfu and go play golf.

My 2¢.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:23 PM

This is especially comical since Taylor just recently researched groove wear on their wedges. They learned that they actually do wear down so they're now producing wedges with replaceable faces!! 

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/mainlevel/golfshop/wedges.html?IsPopUp=0#30

Kinda looks like if the friggin wedges are that old they probably aren't what they used to be-Phil just knows them. Jeez.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 2:59 PM

funniest thing about all this is i still play ping eye 2 irons reshafted every couple of years of course. before you ask i'm not adverse to technology, have access to and tried about every new iron that came down the tube , but why change for change sake. ping hit a home run with these irons, mine are 21 years old, replaced the 9iron and pitching wedge grooves worn out. rock on phil. JB      P.S. i think i've spent close to $2;500 in drivers over the same time oh well.

• NormH3
    214 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 3:08 PM

This was brought up some weeks ago and it was already deemed "not breaking the rules". I guess the tour players that complained don't watch Golf Channel very often.

Tip to Pros...check EBAY

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 3:28 PM

Ongoing issue.  More players are incorporating an Eye wedge or 2, not just Phil and Daly.  Hunter Mahan for one I believe.  

Phil only uses a 60 degree wedge that is bent to 64 degrees.  A 64 degree wedge that many players used prior is now utterly useless with the new grooves.  The ball just slides up the face too much.

This is mostly where the old school Eye 2's are being utilized.  A single lob wedge put into play.   There is also a counter argument that new clubhead material and design advancement outweights or offsets any advantage that the old grooves might garner.  

It will be an interesting debate as the season continues, with pro feedback and more testing from Iron Byron.

And Phil has more equipment knowledge than probably any other player on tour.  He is constantly testing, tinkering, and reworking his clubs in concert with his manufacturing sponsor, Callaway

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 3:50 PM

jbenny11:
    ping hit a home run with these irons

My oldest brother has been playing with his Eye2 irons since they came out (which was before I did) and has never, or would he ever change. He had the SW but never used it so I started using it at age 12. My irons are Mizuno M31 blades, which I love, but that old Eye2 SW never leaves my sight. It is a spectacular all purpose scoring club I couldn't live without. 

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 4:28 PM

BTW the Eye 2 wedge didn't work so good for JD yesterday as he shot a +7 and badly missed many touch shots around the green.  However, that poor round pales in comparison to those god awful zebra print pants he was wearing.  Maybe he also has a matching snuggie.

SweetiePie:
     that old Eye2 SW never leaves my sight. It is a spectacular all purpose scoring club I couldn't live without. 

that might be particularly useful in 2024, lol

trying to imagine if nothing changes and we're all looking for an Eye 2 wedge as the rule changes apply to all of us.   might make for an interesting scenario on ebay in 2023 and 2024.   hope i'm still above dirt and a single digit handicap when that day comes :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2010 5:04 PM

OaktheToke:
    trying to imagine if nothing changes and we're all looking for an Eye 2 wedge as the rule changes apply to all of us.   might make for an interesting scenario on ebay in 2023 and 2024

Well, that is so true. My Father has been collecting and trading clubs for 40 or so years and has an amazing collection. He has 4 Bristol wizard putters, the one Nicklaus won all but his last major with, all worth serious dough, and so many other fine examples  I won't trouble you with except this one. A Wilson, Arnold Palmer putter, like the one Crenshaw calls "little Ben", that is; get this, still in the original box and never used. And I'm talking about the 1957 model not the 1980s reproduction. He has turned down stunning dollar offers one wouldn't believe. But he has the long standing habit of always trading up, never down.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sat, Jan 30 2010 9:12 AM

That's nice SP that you come from a golfing family.  Sounds like you have the same passion for the game that your father does.  Going for the occasional round with my father is one of the most pleasurable ways that we share time.  Impressive you play blades too, as I prefer my players CB X-Tours.   I used to work at Merion and they have several items from years past, particularly items from Bobby Jones' Open and GS win in 1930 and Hogans victory in 1951. I don't think they have the rubber snake Trevino threw at Nicklaus in 1971 though, lol.  The oldest clubs I still have are my 588 SW and original Bobby Grace putter.  I've long retired them but too many sentimental up and down's to sell away.

Was also interesting to see Golf Channel's coverage yesterday and Jim Grey's interview with both Mickelson and McCarron.

RSS