Help › Forums

The not-so-perfect perfect shot

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 27 2009 1:15 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Hateraid
    21 Posts
    Wed, Feb 4 2009 2:11 PM

Can you guys please fix the perfect shot to actually go straight?  I love when I aim right, no wind, hit it "perfect" and it goes left.  If you line up straight and hit a perfect shot with no wind, the shot should be dead straight.  It makes it too difficult to aim if hitting a perfect shot screws you up.

Thanks.

• Hateraid
    21 Posts
    Wed, Feb 4 2009 2:16 PM

Another example - Hole 1, 125 yards to flag with 2mph back wind.  Hit the shot "perfect" and it goes 119 yards.  Are you kidding me?  Hole 5, 172 yards to flag and a six iron with no back wind magically goes 178 yards.  I won't spend a dime on this game until I'm confident that these glitches are repaired.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Feb 4 2009 2:33 PM

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/548.aspx

Neither of those are actually glitches and that thread explains why.

• Hateraid
    21 Posts
    Wed, Feb 4 2009 2:42 PM

I read it.  Sounds pretty dumb to me...no offense.  Why build BS into a game. 

In real life if you hit a 170 yard club 3 feet uphill with a 3mph face wind, it will not go 178 yards (assuming the green doesn't roll downhill and you don't put forward spin).  It just won't.  Making it so in this game is just garbage.  Something we have to live with, but garbage nonetheless.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Feb 4 2009 2:52 PM

Nah, not garbage, just BETA.

Unless you are paid to play it's just not possible to hit 10 shots with a 6I from the same place all within a few feet of each other consistently.  I've played for 19 years, I have a single digit handicap and I still can't do that.  Too many little things can go wrong.  An open clubface, blocked hips or turning the wrists too early all will cause a mishit and none of those things can be accurately recreated with this simple timing bar.  Those missing elements need to be represented somehow or otherwise "beginners" like yourself walk onto the course and shoot par.  IMO, that's not very realistic at all.  It took me 7 years from the time I first picked up a golf club to shoot par (72) in real life.  I'm not saying it needs to be 7 years here as well but, there does need to be some sort of a learning curve.

• 400ft
    17 Posts
    Wed, Feb 4 2009 6:00 PM

Nivlav, I can see your point that there will never be an absolutely perfect shot in reality because there are too many factors involved. However, playing a skill-based game is no fun if there are such tremendous variations in length and direction even when hitting shots in the exact same way. --- For example: Bali Hai skill challenge, hole 6: even though I pretty much know how to play that hole, I never know if the ball ends up near the pin or in the water because of these abovementioned variations. Or take Bali Hai skill challenge, hole 8: I've hit absolutely straight shots there numerous times and most of the time the ball still ends up in the bunker on the right, despite minor wind from the right. --- So my opinion is that WGT can maintain these variations but right now they are just way too extreme.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Feb 4 2009 6:47 PM

Well, I can't argue with you about the skills challenge.  That's a whole different beast.  The inconsistencies can be somewhat managed in stroke play however, with the one-and-done nature of the skills challenge it's much, much harder.  Amazingly, a few players have mastered the skills challenge which tells me there is a method and I just haven't found it yet.

Having better clubs available will also make a difference as no one will voluntarily choose to play with starter clubs any longer than they have to.  You probably won't see as wide of a variation when we have a larger selection.

• DeerRun
    230 Posts
    Wed, Feb 4 2009 10:16 PM

There is indeed a method to mastering the skills challenge but I'll  be darned if I can solve it.  All you can do it just keep working at it.

• Hateraid
    21 Posts
    Fri, Feb 6 2009 2:56 PM

Then what's the point of having a perfect shot ability if you can't hit it?  Why even have that feature if it penalizes you more than if you barely miss perfect?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Feb 6 2009 10:42 PM

Though I understand why you may think that, that's not true either.  The ball will always go straighter on a perfect shot, like it should.  There is, however, a key element to all of it that you are over-looking.

• PAGES
RSS