Forums

Help › Forums

Flop Shot Tutorial by Longwedge

Mon, Jan 11 2021 5:25 PM (47 replies)
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 5:43 PM

Light weights...look like full beers to me!

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 6:46 PM

Very good ViD Long..

I must admit I havn't watched the whole Video, but got the drift...lol.  A good lesson indeed.

What I do is look at the reverse view in putting mode, gives me a better look at what the green and wind is doing at the hole and move the aimer just slighly depending on what i see on the screen. Then I click the Line before ding.   *** Note to myself also...don't forget to change to Flop before you click....lol ***

Keep up the good work :)

Roger

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Feb 3 2012 7:16 PM

Punch, full, never flop. I guess it's a matter of preference. In any event, nice tutorial.

Just sayin'

• senec
    252 Posts
    Mon, Mar 5 2012 8:11 PM

Thank you for your help with flop shots,it has improved my short game a lot.My problem now is short sand shots.Should I flop or only use a quarter swing with the wedge,I really don't know what to do in that situation.I usualy stay in the trap if I,m too tentative,or pass the hole 20 yards if I,m too bold.HELP!!! 

Thank you

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 4:50 AM

senec:
    My problem now is short sand shots.Should I flop or only use a quarter swing with the wedge

Try pitching and punching. With practice these shots will get you out of any trap. 1/4 swing is never a good shot.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 6:14 AM

YankeeJim:

senec:
    My problem now is short sand shots.Should I flop or only use a quarter swing with the wedge

Try pitching and punching. With practice these shots will get you out of any trap. 1/4 swing is never a good shot.

Good advice from YJ here. I don't flop out of sand unless I'm pretty close to the stick, say inside 12 yards and no worse than 20-25 buried.  If I'm 20 yards out and 30-40 or worse, I'm going to use the punch shot.

I recommend going into practice mode and spend some time intentionally knocking the ball into green side bunkers and punching them out. Get the feel for the meter.

Good Luck,

-Long

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 7:18 AM

YankeeJim:
    1/4 swing is never a good shot.

98% correct, but you can't say "never".

Like all shots in golf, it depends on the variable conditions. A 1/4 power full swing is not accurate, but there are times when you need as much loft as possible, whether to control the roll or to clear the lip, or both.

The bunker in front of the first par 3 at Cabo is a good example (I don't remember which hole that is. 5?). You can be 10' below the hole and 10 yards out.

Generally speaking, I agree with you, but there are exceptions to every rule.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 8:11 AM

godelescher:
    but there are times when you need as much loft as possible, whether to control the roll or to clear the lip, or both.

You don't get much higher than a flop. That 1/4 swing is just plain bad news- an invitation for trouble.

• godelescher
    636 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 1:41 PM

YankeeJim:

godelescher:
    but there are times when you need as much loft as possible, whether to control the roll or to clear the lip, or both.

You don't get much higher than a flop. That 1/4 swing is just plain bad news- an invitation for trouble.

I couldn't use Cabo as a demo, so I chose Oakmont 16 which has a similar deep bunker and not a lot of room in front.

In the first replay, I used a 64 degree wedge, full swing, 30-40% power. The lie was 40-50% buried.

In the second replay, I used a 60 degree wedge, flop shot, full power. The lie was slightly better at 30-40%

The partial power - full swing shot is slightly higher. If anything, because of the slightly better lie, the flop should have had a slight advantage in this test.

full swing

flop shot

You may be right that using the same club, a flop will fly higher, but the extra distance of a full swing allows me to use a higher lofted club.

• TesLa33
    109 Posts
    Tue, Mar 6 2012 2:36 PM

Longwedge:
    Good advice from YJ here. I don't flop out of sand unless I'm pretty close to the stick, say inside 12 yards and no worse than 20-25 buried

I disagree. My sand save % is 80 and I always FLOP out of the sand. (Unless it's a fairway bunker or beyond 30 yrds).

I hole out more flop shots than I do chips..

I'm not saying punches don't work because they do. But the flop is more accurate if you know how to hit it.

RSS