Forums

Help › Forums

Flop Shot Tutorial by Longwedge

Mon, Jan 11 2021 5:25 PM (47 replies)
  • Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:12 PM

Hello my fellow golfers.  I've been seeing a lot of posts here recently about "Flop vs Chip" or "How do I hit a proper Flop". In these messages, there have been several saying, "I don't hit the flop because it's too difficult".  Well, I'm here to give the flop shot back it's good name. I've decided to create a series of tutorials that will help some of the newer golfers on here adapt to the game.

There were some minor glitches that came up somewhere in the processing of the video (not sure where), but it still isn't too bad, and you should get the general idea.  I hope you like it.

[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/

:550:0]

Special Thanks to my friend (and possibly the most entertaining guy on WGT) YancyCan for his tutorial on how to post videos to WGT.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:25 PM

Also, for first person live recordings of entire rounds of Cosa Nostra CC, go to:

http://www.livestream.com/mikeonthemic

I recorded those too, and they are nice and clean. My guess is this has something to do with the bandwidth of my current location.

-Long

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2012 7:05 AM

I think if you change the way you bring that swing icon down you might ding a little easier. There's too much business going on around the ding line. Your eyes can't focus on the target. Try having the icon off to the side or top, out of the visual way.

• jimwade35
    480 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2012 7:28 AM

Hey Long-dude

You did good.............need to watch again on full screen, how do i do that?

Great that you would take the time. you've been a big help for me already.

Jim

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2012 8:42 AM

YankeeJim:

I think if you change the way you bring that swing icon down you might ding a little easier. There's too much business going on around the ding line. Your eyes can't focus on the target. Try having the icon off to the side or top, out of the visual way.

I'll give it a whirl...it's kind of a target habit.

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2012 10:00 AM

jimwade35:

Hey Long-dude

You did good.............need to watch again on full screen, how do i do that?

Great that you would take the time. you've been a big help for me already.

Jim

Jim, just double click on it. I don't recommend a full screen, but it will give you 3 screen options (Small, Large, and Full). The best resolution is the Large screen...and you can see everything.

Take Care,

Long

• strikerseasy
    65 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2012 10:26 AM

very nice i learned about the wind allowance which i had not considered.  how ever i dont ding i hit the first blue line as it goes straight to the target .  that way i dont have to guess the rt lt placement  all other factors seem the same ie add 8 yds for rough 40/50  and the wind adjustment sounds correct although i admit i never used it.  i carry 3 wedges and flop 90% of the time and land usually within 1 or 2 ft.   either way works as i used your method as a tp with great success. but i played a master back then and he explained to me his method and he holed 2 on the 9 we were playing.   so i tried his way and learned how.  experience and trial and error after you decide which method you want to use is my  additional advice. and thanks to yancey i think would explained about moving my mouse in a different area to play .  i had not thought of that and hitting the dinger is my downfall i am 66 and hand eye coordination aint what it used to be.. thank you well done strikerseasy

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2012 12:07 PM

I know several people who use the "Hit the first line" or "Stop Short" method as it's been referred to.  This method can be mastered, however there is distance lost with every Iron and Wedge shot by missing the ding. Whether you are 200 yards out or 10 yards out.  Here's a video showing the difference:

[View:http://www.wgt.com/themes/wgt/utility/

:550:0]

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2012 6:34 PM

I use both methods, as sometimes like #2 Standys, you need to get over a hump, so more elevation is required.

Good stuff Longwedge.

• senec
    252 Posts
    Tue, Jan 31 2012 9:20 PM

Great tip Yankee Jim,I never knew you could  put the icon off the target;maybe now I'll hit some fairways on my drives.Can you give me some tips on sand shots,I never know what distance is required when I'm;say 15 or 20 yards from the pin.Flopping is not a good idea I think ,or is it?So my sand wedge gives me 60 yards and there is 15 yards to the pin. How should I proceed.Thank you again...

RSS