Help › Forums

Thank you Massachusetts Voters

Fri, Jan 22 2010 4:28 PM (40 replies)
  • donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 12:36 PM

SweetiePie:

WojciechMigda:

I was always curious what is the real reason why you've got only two parties dominating the main political scene. Is that just tradition or bc a regular citizen is really comfortable with that ? No need for a wider choice, more competitive market ?

Washington, despised party politics, however, Adams was a federalist believing in an all powerful central federal government vs Jefferson and the democratic republican party which favored a states rights republic. Hamilton favored monarchy. Jeffersonian politics prevailed with the 3rd, 4th and 5th presidents until Quincy Adams became the 6th president. The differance being the New England aristocrat vs the Southern farmer or, if you prefer, control vs freedom.

Nice political history exposition lily ... i would have just answered, "it evolved that way" .

Anyway to address the OP , i'm glad that Mass. elected a republican this time around . Why? Because as tibbets has alluded to, both parties and their agendas are dominated and controlled by puppet masters (imo) and having EITHER political party with a super-majority is disasterous for this country ...

When no-one has an easy go of it , then they have to wrangle it out ... which is not always for the best, but the alternative is worse ... it's a messy system ...

I'm just sayin ...

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:01 PM

American politics?

Please no one mention the health care bill, or I may just start up on one...

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:18 PM

Oh Canada!

I'm just sayin'.....

• Crazyman2
    731 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:19 PM

LOL  Ellis.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:32 PM

Are you singing it?  Or just sayin'?

(I've taught my little boy to sing the Canadian National Anthem... looked up the lyrics online)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:36 PM

Great anthem too. Best line  "............we stand on guard for thee."

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:01 PM

WojciechMigda:

I was always curious what is the real reason why you've got only two parties dominating the main political scene. Is that just tradition or bc a regular citizen is really comfortable with that ? No need for a wider choice, more competitive market ?

As much as I enjoyed SP's history lesson on the early presidents, I don't believe the question was answered.

The reason, WojciechMigda, that there is only 2 parties in our national scene is very simple....

Money. 

From the first primaries to the final vote tally a damn lot of money has to be spent.

Now, here's a question for you... Why would anyone want to spend that kind of money for a job that only pays $400,000/year?

Because they are all crooks, liars and thieves....

I'm just saying....

2004 Election Costs:
    George W. Bush (R) - $345,259,155
    John Kerry (D) - $309,708,090
    Ralph Nader (3) - $4,549,032
    Michael Badnarik (L) - $1,073,940
    Michael Peroutka (3) - $708,221
    David Cobb (3) - $385,707
    Sources: http://www.opensecrets.org/presidential/index.asp?sort=E

The most telling headline from http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/news.php?cycle=2008 is this:

For the first time ever in U.S. history, the candidates for president raised more than $1 billion.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:12 PM

donsprintr:
      Anyway to address the OP , i'm glad that Mass. elected a republican this time around

Thanks Don. It was an amazing event. I am very happy, although stunned. Considering that the fine residents of Mass could never get enough of a Kennedy and that they keep re-electing the likes of John Kerry and Barney "the frankfurter" Frank, it was a welcome surprise. But, like Mr. Tibbets I am under no illusion with regard to control, which lay with the CFR (Council on Foreign Relations), whose membership speaks volumes about this theme.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 3:36 PM

Thats a very good point Snaike and I have asked almost everyone I know that simple question.I already knew the answer but it is always asked to prove a point.

How about the hippocracy that has emitted from the "White House" since the day they signed the "Declaration Of Independence". After declaring that all men are created equal they walked out of that room and told they're slaves to get they're horses ready.

Now they won't allow God,our creator, to be taught in school.One question...how can everyone be created equal if they do away with the creator?

I'm just saying...

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:30 PM

GITrDONE:

Now they won't allow God,our creator, to be taught in school.One question...how can everyone be created equal if they do away with the creator?

I'm just saying...

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Thomas Jefferson was just saying...

I am sympathetic to your position Git, but disagree with you for reasons other than my own religious  beliefs.

(tries to put the lid back on the can of worms, promptly gets eaten alive)

back (roughly) on topic

I've never voted Republican in my life, but I'm glad he won. Hopefully now Congress will get back to the business of passing legislation in a legitimate way, instead of with backroom deals.

(not getting my hopes up though...)

RSS